Well . . . "nonsense" is my middle name . . . . So, just to start the new year off right, I ran AJ 4 times . . . 2 w/o the FW plugged in and 2 with it plugged in--didn't seem to make a difference, but then I can't tell . . . based on the variation in errors and weirdness each time it ran . . . I used "AUTO" restart.
Each time the disk repair found some problem, 1st time "invalid extent entry 4, 25279" . . . "volume check failed" . . . then on new line in caps and lines . . . or asterisks *****FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED*****
"Success!!!! Disk has been repaired" . . . However, this same sequence, more or less, repeated each of the 4 times . . . .
Then, moving to the "repair permissions" is where it seems to really get wacky . . . reporting issues in the "launch services" lines that show up before it starts repairing permissions . . . there was a "kextd133 error--bootstrap check--unknown service name" . . . and then something on the "UniEnet: restart receiver" . . . ??? [I jotted some stuff down, and at one point I took some shots with an iPod T.] But, I think the first time the process went through to the restart, because I got called away from the computer, and when I came back the log in window was waiting.
2nd time . . . same thing on disk repair with slight variation: "keys out of order" . . . and same, "it failed; but, success!!!" But, this time back to the "diskarbitration: could not create Sys Config Notification port" . . . and AJ can't "pull out" of this situation, as the lines repeat and stack up on the screen . . . I ctrl-C'd out of it, and lines turn purple and keep running, so I typed "r" . . . and AJ skipped the "cache" part and restarted . . . on reboot, the grey action wheel spun for over 3 or 4 mins before the log in screen showed up.
3rd time . . . now with FW plugged in . . . same deal as #2, except this time before the permissions there was something like "launchd: bind ("thesocket"):m" . . . same stack up on the "diskarbitration" line. Restarted right back into single user:
4th time . . . again, same "failure, but success" . . . this time the Repair Permissions line just showed dots . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and that went on and on, so I walked away from it, to see if it would "resolve" the issue . . . 45 mns later . . . . dots still going . . . so, again, I ctrl-c'd && "r'd" out of it. And on restart this time 5 mins later the spinning action wheel was still spinning . . . I shut it down. A couple hours later I restarted, and took a few minutes, but OSX did boot . . . and, now I'm typing the report about it . . . .
So, AJ doesn't seem to be able to repair whatever is the problem . . . and, keeps "finding it and, um obsessing over it, and failing again to repair it . . ." . . . and, again, back on the GUI surface things seem "OK" . . . Mail launched w/o a problem, etc.
Didn't have the chance to try to boot the clone again via FW . . . to see if the clone finds that "Macint0 was not repairable, but we are showing it to you for your edification" . . . doesn't seem like anything got "fixed" by AJ . . . .
On the other side, I tried to run "rescue" from a Ubuntu-MATE 16.04 DVD, but, nothing worked on it . . . which isn't "new" . . . I had forgotten how bad the last daily was, and thought "it's newer, maybe it's 'better' for rescue" . . . no dice. I guess next step will be to try to get dnetc installed in 10.5 . . . it was pretty easy to do in linux . . . I'm figuring that I'm not out of the woods on getting this cpu "formatted" to life in the slow lane . . . .