XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:20 pm 

Folks:

Continuing saga, but new exciting development is that I finally found a reasonably priced >1 GHZ cpu to install into my PM Sawtooth project . . . so the cpu has arrived, OWC Mercury Extreme??? and only issue is that it needs the 4.2.8 firmware update, which neither of the PO's have done. So, I'll have to pop in the original HD running some form of OS 9, possibly update it to 9.2.2?? and then run the "firmware updater" process . . . . I haven't done anything in "programmer mode" before in my computer history . . . so, one of my questions is, is "programmer mode" another way of saying "open firmware"???

And, then, my other question is, since in all probability Apple is no longer "supporting" OS 9 stuff, will the "firmware updater" be able to access what it might need to do the update?? The seller of the cpu was kind enough to send the actual .smi file of the firmware 4.2.8 update, but, should I drag that file to the OS 9 desktop, or, if it is on the DVD with the firmware updater(s) will the system be able to find the 4.2.8 update there and then do the installation of it?

Or, I will need to move all of the OS 9 updaters and the 4.2.8 firmware update itself onto the 9 desktop, then run the "Updater" . . . then shut down and reboot using "programmer mode" and . . . then it will be able to find and install everything?? Some parts of this process seem unclear, because I'm thinking that when I first started messing with this machine, trying to use "Software Update" to find 9 updates . . . just did not work at all, because the packages are not available online . . . . I'm assuming that is the same situation with the 4.2.8 update, so if using the OS9-ish "updater" . . . will that not just be searching the apple database for the package, and, it won't find it there? And, no experience with using "programmer mode" so I don't know what that is going to do . . . is that like "single user" or more like linux apt-get that will provide its own commands and then run them in the console???

Any thoughts or directions to look in would be appreciated . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:59 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
so, one of my questions is, is "programmer mode" another way of saying "open firmware"???

Basically, yes, sort of, but not directly...
Quote:
UPDATE THE FIRMWARE. I downloaded the firmware update from Apple, read the instructions, and followed them carefully. The only tricky part here was that the firmware updater asked me to perform a maneuver I'd never performed before: holding down the programmer's button on the side of the iMac while powering the machine back on and then waiting for a long alert sound (more of a toot than a beep) before letting go.

Mount the .smi by double clicking on it, then open About G4 Firmware Update for complete instructions...

About the Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.2.8

The Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.2.8 will run only on Power Mac G4 and Macintosh Server G4 models with AGP graphics running Mac OS 9.1 or later from a local hard disk. If you are using Mac OS X on your Power Mac G4 or Macintosh Server G4, you must start up from a local Mac OS 9.1 or later writeable partition (not a CD or network disk) before following the update instructions.

Firmware Update 4.1.9 is available for Power Mac G4 Cube models and iMac computers with slot-loading CD or DVD drives.

Firmware Update 4.2.8 includes improvements to starting up Mac OS X from the local hard disk, FireWire target disk mode, network startup, gigabit networking (on systems with gigabit hardware), and system stability. This update also adds support for additional security options that allow the Open Firmware to be password-protected.

Before you install the Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.2.8, read the instructions below. You may want to print them for reference.

Note: After you install this update, the parameter RAM (PRAM) is reset. This may reset some of your control panels to their default settings. See Mac Help, available in the Help menu, for more information on changing your control panel settings.

1. Double-click the Power Mac G4 Firmware Updater icon.

Note: If a message says your firmware is up-to-date with version 4.2.8 of the Power Mac G4 Firmware Update, or that this version of the Power Mac G4 Firmware Updater will not run on this computer, then you do not need this update. If a message says you need to install Mac OS 9.1 or later, the Firmware Updater will not run until you do so.

2. Follow the onscreen instructions. When prompted, click Shut Down in the dialog box to shut down your Power Mac G4.

3. Locate the programmer's button on the front of the Power Mac G4, to the right of the reset button. Press and hold in the programmer's button. You may need to use a pen or a straightened paper clip.

Picture showing Programmers Button.

4. While you hold in the programmer's button, press the Power button to start up your Power Mac G4.

5. Continue to hold in the programmer's button until you hear a long tone. Release the programmer's button when you hear the tone. The update starts automatically.

A status bar shows the progress of the update. When a message says your computer's firmware has been successfully updated to version 4.2.8, you are finished.

Note: If a message says the update was not completed successfully, review the instructions and begin the update process again.

For more information, see www.apple.com/support

October 9, 2001

© 2001 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.
Apple, the Apple logo, FireWire, Mac, and Macintosh are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iMac and Power Mac are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:41 pm 

Quote:
Mount the .smi by double clicking on it, then open About G4 Firmware Update for complete instructions...

@BD:

Thanks for those instructions, some of those I have seen, I did read the "About G4 Firmware Update" instructions, but, the whole issue with probable non-connection to Apple DB is what is stumping me . . . .

Ah, OK, so you mean 2x clicking on 9 desktop? Or it will "mount" if it's on the DVD and 2x clicking there?? And, then running through the rest of the instructions as per the list?

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:49 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

It should mount no matter where it is by double clicking on it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:06 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
It should mount no matter where it is by double clicking on it. :)

Cool, many thanks. Should be getting to practical apps on this tomorrow PM . . . and we'll see how it flies . . . . Looking FW to having more speed, and probably upgrading to 10.5!!!!! It'll be mind-blowing . . . . It'll even qualify for GNOME DE . . . on the linux partition side of things . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:08 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

8-) :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:40 am 

Technical question . . . is it recommended or "OK" to just plug the old OS 9 drive into the what is it, the IDE cable, while leaving the now newer HD with OSX on it in the bay, to do the firmware updates?? Or, it needs to be screwed into the tray and the tray needs to be screwed into the frame in order for it to work?

I'm just wondering if it is possible to lay the old drive nearby or on top of the presently installed one, plug it in, do the firmware updates, and then unplug it and just re-connect to the newer, now installed HD? Or, it has to be "bolted in" in order to safely handle the electrical grounding of the drive--if that is an issue??? Going to start fiddling with this in a few hours, just watched the OWC video of the PCI card/IDE install and it gave me the thought, maybe I don't have to "install" the old drive?

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:09 pm 

Any way you can connect the drive is fine, provided it's not shorting out something on the motherboard. I wouldn't use the zip drive connector (under the optical drive) for a HD, there are issues due to that cable being extremely long and extremely out of spec. You can disconnect the OS X drive and connect the OS 9 drive in its place. Provided you don't jar the system (as in kick or body slam) while the system is running the drive should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:25 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Any way you can connect the drive is fine, provided it's not shorting out something on the motherboard. I wouldn't use the zip drive connector (under the optical drive) for a HD, there are issues due to that cable being extremely long and extremely out of spec. You can disconnect the OS X drive and connect the OS 9 drive in its place. Provided you don't jar the system (as in kick or body slam) while the system is running the drive should be fine.

@MB:

Cool, that's more or less what I've done . . . but got a "serious error" error . . . . The old OS9 desktop photo loads, but then the error says, "Finder could not start up because a serious problem occurred--system error -- 2817" . . . with a "restart" button as the only option. I tried a couple times, same result. Old HD was working OK before . . . only thing I did was place the old drive on top of the new drive where the tangs are there to obviously stack HDs . . . but, didn't screw it in, and single screw on button drive tray was undone to get the power plug unplugged . . . .

Anything jump out?? I was kind of wondering whether the newer optical drive we put in might be "throwing the Finder off its game"?? Haven't had a chance to google 2817 to see if it finds anything? Google hasn't been too good with finding older system info.

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:43 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

What are the jumpers set to on the drive& the optical?

2817...???

cfragInitAtBootErr = -2816, /* A boot library has an initialization function. (System 7 only)*/
cfragLibConnErr = -2817, /* */
cfragCFMStartupErr = -2818, /* Internal error during CFM initialization.*/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:54 pm 

BD:

That is a "technical" question . . . since I posted I found an apple discussion group thread with guy with same issue, 2817 error, and he traced it to broken RAM. This RAM is very new, but I had a newer apple keyboard plugged in and I tried to boot an iMac OS9.2 disk . . . got the error. When I plugged the old original keyboard in I can now boot the 9.2 install disk . . . and, it shows all the stuff that is on the old 9 desktop???? So, not sure what to do now . . . ??? The jumpers on the old HD were in the same place they were before, I didn't change that. And, no idea where they are for the optical drive. Right now it's "booted" up in the install disk, and showing Desktop . . . perhaps I can try to upgrade . . . About this Mac shows "9.2.2" with Boot ROM 9.0.1???? so I think the HD is actually still on 9.01 . . . but because it's booted in CD it shows that system?? There is a "9.2.2 updater" on the desktop, don't know if I can run the computer through the CD and try to update it . . . ?? Of course to get the firmware updater going I need the optical drive to do that . . . can't have both going.

Would it mean that the HD & optical drive jumpers are OK since I have now booted a CD??

[Edit: Seems like using iMac 9.2 install disk and selecting "options" the system is allowing a fresh install of 9.2.2 w/o requiring 9.1??? So, we're moving a tad bit . . . thought we were shut down . . . we'll see on reboot how it goes. Been years since I've played with OS9 . . . .]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Good work, jumpers must be right, just a USB power issue it seems... any way to copy that file on the CD to another device, even a USBG pen drive?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:28 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Good work, jumpers must be right, just a USB power issue it seems... any way to copy that file on the CD to another device, even a USBG pen drive?

USB power??? Is that what that means?? So possibly because the newer keyboard had a different type of USB??? Or, there was a photo/camera usb cable plugged in??

Anyway, the 9.2 install went OK and reboot into 9.2 went OK . . . . shooting for the firmware install next . . . . : - )

[Edit: Firmware 4.2.8 installed successfully!!!! 2x clicked on the file, it mounted, and somehow sustained through the reboot!!!! Rebooted into OSX and indeed boot ROM shows "4.2.8"!!! Now trying to remove old processor . . . .]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whoot! :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:58 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Whoot! :D

Heady days indeed . . . got the processor in and rebooted and it shows "1.4 GHz" . . . but had some issues with screen freezing . . . . So I reset the PRAM . . . which wiped Yaboot . . . no big deal, but still was having problems . . . . Shut down a few times, and OSX boots, was wondering if this processor "needs" 10.5 . . . or it's just taking some time to get its head wrapped around my machine. Running Onyx right now, was thinking about applejack next . . . it wouldn't "recognize" the "c" key when I tried to boot SuperGRUB2 CD to see if I could boot into linux and if it ran OK????? No go . . . we'll see if Onyx gets it done on restart in a minute or two.

e.

{Edit: Some kind of problem is happening, the system seems to freeze intermittently . . . after the Onyx deal the Apple Profiler reads processor "0 MHz" and things are "sort of" working . . . but, browsers seem to be freezing . . . . I ran applejack, the first time it froze on "repair permissions" . . . so I shut down and ran it again and it went through. Rebooted, processor still shows "0 MHz" things happen OK, but, when I was trying to find out if I now need "7450e" instead of "7400" . . . when I clicked on "How to find out" link in Omniweb . . . frozen . . . . Something in instructions says something about "press S1 button on logic board, will need to reset time and PRAM after that . . . ." Something to try? Video/GUI is working fairly well, fast even . . . but, we are now having this hissy fit freezes . . . . Any thoughts?}

Last edited by este.el.paz on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:54 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I'd try a slower jumper setting to start with.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:59 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I'd try a slower jumper setting to start with.

OK, I just left them where the PO said ran best on his ST . . . didn't fiddle with that . . . so, not clear on how to adjust it. I think I posted my last thing right as this popped up . . . .

[EDIT: Found the jumpers . . . tried for 1.3 and that didn't work, there are only three jumpers so I can't do four, I'm trying J1/2 for 1.06 GHZ??? seems to not be loading the OS??? What about the S1 reset?? Any point to do that or total wipe to system?? Is there a "right way" and/or wrong way to place jumpers? They seem a little tenative, the wire posts that is . . . .]

e

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:34 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm, got a link to that jumper list?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:57 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Hmmm, got a link to that jumper list?

It's around, buried online at OWC I believe . . . . I moved the jumpers around trying for slower speeds, there are only three, seems like the other positions don't even boot passed the "action" wheel . . . . I think one of the jumpers is "busted" because when I **gently*** pulled it up some copper prongs fell out of it . . . . I tried using just two of them to go for 1 GHz, but, wouldn't boot. I used a needle nose to hold the "bad" copper prongs into the slot of the jumper and put it back in . . . . Nope. It now seems like it can't get to the OSX account manager window to log in . . . just the grey screen with the grey apple . . . and the grey action wheel . . . .

So, it was sort of working, for awhile, except for the freezing, now, perhaps only two jumpers are "working" . . . but, no soap . . . . Any other ideers? Place to find clean jumpers????

e.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:58 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Most computer shops will give you a few for free.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:19 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Most computer shops will give you a few for free.

No free lunch in LA . . . . Right now it isn't looking good at all in applejack . . . it's showing "disk repair volume failed" and the other steps are showing a mess of stuff . . . that isn't clearing out . . . . OSX isn't booting. Just about done for tonight on this, but, is this something that 10.4 can't handle and I need to try somehow to install 10.5?

Or, get the jumpers straightened out? I'm pretty sure that the processor is connected in the box connector OK, screw holes lined up, nothing looked out of alignment . . . could a faulty jumper be messing all of this up?

e.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

It easily could be the jumpers, I wouldn't do any repairs with the CPU messing up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:14 am 

BDAqua wrote:
It easily could be the jumpers, I wouldn't do any repairs with the CPU messing up.

OK, so next step would be to try to find some clean jumpers? Is there some differences in jumpers? I'd have to mention the processor, or all processor jumpers are created equally?

e.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:31 am 

When changing processors its usually a good idea to reset the Cuda/PMU/SMC. Shut down the system, find the reset button on the motherboard, hold it for 5 seconds, release, let it sit for a few minutes, then power on.

How about taking a photo of the OWC module? Perhaps that card has dip switches instead of jumpers. Meaning the jumpers are present but they don't really control the CPU speed.

A jumper is a jumper, the only real difference is the spacing between the two metal prongs it plugs itself into.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:18 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
When changing processors its usually a good idea to reset the Cuda/PMU/SMC. Shut down the system, find the reset button on the motherboard, hold it for 5 seconds, release, let it sit for a few minutes, then power on.

How about taking a photo of the OWC module? Perhaps that card has dip switches instead of jumpers.

@MB:

So, is that the "S1" button that the instructions are mentioning?? Over in the corner of the MB? Maybe I'll try that in a bit . . . . I could always do a photo, but, nope, these are jumpers,labeled "1 - 5" . . . one of them messed up, possibly . . . . ST is shut down, so I'll try that S1 button in a bit and post back.

e.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next