XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:07 pm 

I've got a PowerPC 1.6GHz from 2003 and I want to wipe the hard drive before selling it. I lost the original install discs (or maybe I never received them; I bought it from a university that was selling its old computers in 2006). Anyway I bought a retail copy of Tiger (10.4.6) for PowerPCs, as I read somewhere this should work. But when I hold 'c' while trying to boot with the DVD in the drive, the computer just ejects the disc. Same with holding down 'Option'. The serial number on the disc is 2Z691-5811-A. Any idea why it's not working and how I can fix it? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:46 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Welcome aboard ramji241 ! :welcome:

Without an Install Disc there are 2, maybe 3 options…

Open System Preferences>Accounts, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.
In the same pref pane highlight your old account, click the little minus icon, then use Disk Utility to Secure Erase Free Space.

If you have another Mac with Firewire... Firewire Target Disk Mode may help.

2Z691-5811-A is the Install Disk for PPC Macs, G3, G4, and most G5s… 10.4.6, so it seems your DVD drive is going out or the Disc is damaged… have you tried a CD/DVD cleaner Disc?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:09 pm 

Thanks! I am trying the first option - I deleted my old account and am using a brand new admin account to delete free space. Does this actually result in wiping the hard drive, or might any old files still be there? Is it as effective as doing a fresh install from a disc or the FireWire option?

If it's not as effective as using a disc, I can try a disc cleaner. The drive does seem to work for most discs, just not this one. But if there's no reason it shouldn't work apart from the disc itself being damaged, I can try to repair the drive.

I appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

It's possible to leave files, say ones by the previous user but not in previous user's folder.

Make sure there's no Deleted Users folder when done, I can't remember exactly how that was handled in all the different versions of OSX.

Of course if you can get the Install Disc to run, a Zero one pass erase & reinstall would be better, but maybe not much better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:48 pm 

Secure erasing the disc took awhile but finished, and since I can't get the DVD to read in the drive, I'm going to assume that's the best I can do. I appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:33 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, I think you'll be fine. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:26 pm 

Hi! Well after all that I found the original install discs, which are items 691-4898-A (disc 1)and 2Z691-4815-A (disc 2). Unfortunately my DVD drive kept spitting out disc 1, which seems to confirm that something's wrong with the drive. Rather than fix it or pay for a new one, I read that I can create a bootable USB instead. I took a 16GB Kingston USB2.0/3.0 stick and used Disk Utility to partition it on the G5 as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), including selecting the option for Apple Partition Map. I then used Disk Utility to restore disc 1 to the USB. I then rebooted while holding down the Option key, but don't see the USB (just the hard drive). So I loaded as normal and went into Startup Disk under System Preferences and don't see the USB listed. Do you have any idea what's wrong and how to get it to work?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:58 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Most PPC Macs will not boot OSX from USB, only Firewire for external.

A few G4s did, eMacs for a few, but many swear this works for all PPC Macs, I couldn't for the life of me get my G5 to boot from USB, but did work for some G4s that normally wouldn't...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:55 pm 

I don't know if it matters, but any compatible DVD drive will work in your G5 if you want to go through the trouble of replacing it. The problem is that first generation G5s like yours use IDE for the optical drive, and they don't make IDE drives anymore, so you'll have to buy something used in order for it to be bootable (you can get a SATA drive, then adapt it to IDE with a little converter board, but the converter strips the ability to be bootable).

I found a drive on eBay not too long ago that was in my state and under $30, and it's been chugging along like a champ ever since. iFixit has an illustrated guide on the process, it's pretty simple once you get a drive that fits.

I've never seen a PPC Mac that could boot off USB. I've been told that Macs as old as G4s are USB bootable but every PPC Mac I've ever tried never boots no matter what I do. :shock: Unfortunately if you need something to be bootable it's either internal drive or Firewire.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:47 pm 

This is great, thanks! I think I can find an IDE drive on eBay; hopefully that solves my problem!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:00 pm 

The trickiest part of the swap is remembering to remove the front bezel off the new drive's tray. This is because most bezels don't line up with the G4/G5 case's optical drive door, so it ends up getting stuck while opening or closing the drive tray.

Thankfully it's usually really easy to remove the bezel, OWC even has a video on the procedure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usimq6Q3Pa0

All G4 & G5 optical drives from Apple already have the bezel removed, so this is just a matter of stripping off a part that Apple didn't design their cases to deal with.

Just remember to get a 5.25" DVD drive and not a laptop DVD drive. Visually they are quite different looking, the laptop drive is much smaller and flatter, while the desktop drive will be larger and squarer (both the instructions and, I believe, the video show desktop drives so you know what to look for on eBay). You can go with DVD-ROM if you want but DVD+R/RW will work fine and are usually quite cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:59 pm 

Hi all, I appreciate all the feedback.

So I bought an identical IDE drive off eBay and installed it as soon as it arrived today. Unfortunately I'm getting the same result as before: it spits the disc out even though the external drive reads the disc just fine. Is it as simple as saying the replacement drive is faulty even though the seller (who has a high feedback rating) said it was in good working order, or can there be something else the matter with my computer?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:07 pm 

Which drive did you buy off eBay? (if you don't mind linking to the auction)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

And does it have jumpers for Master/Slave/etc.?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:46 pm 

Here's a link to the drive from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/111763550728

Re: jumpers for master/slave, I don't have the manual so I'm not sure what to look for specifically, but on the back I see two rows of three pins to the left of the plug that connects to the motherboard, and a white cap is covering the two leftmost pins. This is identical to the drive that came with the system.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:57 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
This is identical to the drive that came with the system.

OK, should be fine then.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:16 am 

Does the optical drive read other DVD's ok? If so then that may suggest the ejected install disk might be at fault rather than the drive itself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:16 am 

I'd go back to BD's earlier suggestion but you need to actually DELETE the other account's data before a Secure Erase Free Space, which only erases data that has been marked as deleted. It doesn't erase other accounts if they are still current. Have a look in the users folder and see if there is a deleted user account in there. If there is, put it in the trash and empty the trash THEN do Secure Erase Free Space.

In System Preferences, Accounts, make a new admin account on your computer. Log out of the old and log into the new.

Select each other account one at a time and press the minus button to delete that user with the secure erase option checked (if it's available on your OS). My computer is running Mavericks, perhaps an earlier version of the OS may not have that option - if that's the case, just erase the disk from Disk Utility with the Secure Erase Free Space option once personal data has been trashed and the trash emptied.

But the important thing about SEFS is that it only works on items that have been marked deleted, not on those that are still on the disk.

This method also leaves the installed system on the disk and the new admin account which, of course, will have nothing of consequence in it. While not a blank disk, it's good enough I should think. The new user can do what he will with it but there will be no data of yours left on it.