XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:41 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I think you can erase an RW disk but you have to use Disk Utility to do it. I think you select the optical drive and then erase disc is one of the options on one of the tabs... its been so long since I worked with RWs I don't entirely recall. Toast certainly can quick erase, which just wipes out the start of the disc and not the entire disc.

Well, that's what I've been trying to do, DU, erase RW . . . which does happen in the MBPro, but seemingly so far is not happening in the PM . . . .

BDAqua wrote:
As I recall, the R/W standard was never universally accepted, on Macs we had to erase them to use them again, on PCs they could just Erase the Directory & didn't need to Zero the whole Disc, later Macs got Toast with Quick Erase that did the same thing, & I think Dragon Burn does that too.

Apple never included that option in their SW... they were too busy turning their backs on customer wants/needs. :upset:

Also turning their backs on their machine progeny . . . but, I checked my OSX side in Tiger and I have CD Session burner from way back, from Panther days or actually Puma . . . but obviously that won't work on DVDs. So, I'm going to check out this Dragon Burn later on today or tomorrow . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:58 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Sessions is just a way to write one partition at a time... say you write a 500 MB file or folder to a 3.4 GB DVD, in other sessions you could use up to the remaining 2.9 GB, worked on both R/W & & non R/W Discs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:18 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Sessions is just a way to write one partition at a time... say you write a 500 MB file or folder to a 3.4 GB DVD, in other sessions you could use up to the remaining 2.9 GB, worked on both R/W & & non R/W Discs.

Ah, yeah . . . saying that reminded me of that . . . I used it way back when before I got an ext HD to back up stuff and get as much data out of a CD as I could, because they are 'spenive, everything is 'spensive . . . . But, would that work on DVDs as well, or just CDs??

e..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:29 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I recall it working on DVDS, but maybe not...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/638047

Maybe just not needed on R/Ws...

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/co ... ss_dvd.htm

http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/growisofs1.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:38 pm 

Cool. At work, so can't read it all . . . obviously some of this stuff could just be tried, but it does take some time, and time is one of our most precious elements . . . . I could test and see if linux xfburn will write cleanly over the old image . . . it's usually the linux OSs that I'm burning for boot in PPC, and all of that is becoming more finicky to get system to boot . . . so I try to completely erase before I burn a new image . . . rather than leaving some old residue trail on the DVD that might interfere with running a live session, etc.
I'll check out Dragon Burn and see if it shows "erase" in full zoot, rather than greyed out as it is now in Tiger DU.
e..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:41 pm 

What I suspect is that it won't work with DVD+RW but will work with DVD-RW. Apple was in the -R/RW camp and didn't support + at all for the longest time. More than likely if you're not in OS X it'll work, or possibly with third party software (like Toast) in OS X.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:51 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
What I suspect is that it won't work with DVD+RW but will work with DVD-RW. Apple was in the -R/RW camp and didn't support + at all for the longest time. More than likely if you're not in OS X it'll work, or possibly with third party software (like Toast) in OS X.

OK, so that makes it more clear, as this is a non-stock optical drive . . . price of doing biznez with flogging old machines beyond their "normal" lifespan. Odd that apple wasn't into "+" . . . being such a Positive uplifting company . . . rather than a "-" company . . . ?????

But, yeah, looks like over in linux it's a non-issue . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:58 pm 

-R/RW was first, +R/RW came later and was cheaper, but had lower reflectivity and other issues that caused read errors in older DVD players.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:53 pm 

Folks:

Back to the olde how to get more speed and upgrade to 10.5 to get into Sea Monkey for PPC, etc. So, my eBay search for processor kicked out a Sonnet Encore 1000 MHz processor, the seller says:

Quote:
I've had this processor in my Sawtooth G4 for a couple of years and it works perfectly. Just not really using the G4 much these days, so putting the original processor back in and selling my Sonnet.
I was able to get some serious work done with this unit installed running Pro Tools and Final Cut on Tiger with no problems whatsoever. You are supposed to be able to run 10.5 as well, but never tried it.
Simple installation, just three provided screws and make sure you read the instructions and install the driver from sonnet's website here
I assure you this item is functioning but because of it being an older, discontinued and unsupported product, there are no returns.

I think this processor has been listed before, he's asking a ***humble*** $180 US . . . which I am disinclined to bid or pay, since I've seen whole G4 computers listing for less . . . . Running ToriOS in linux has made the computer fairly functional on the new web sites, but, getting into 1 GHz is worth a few bucks. Any thoughts on what a low bid offer that would be "fair" or a little less than fair, and then "top" number? I'm not over eager for this, especially with the "no returns" stipulation . . . . $25 bucks??? Too high???

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:46 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think $25 would be an insult.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:06 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I think $25 would be an insult.

Well, certain politicians seem to make "insult" work to their advantage . . . . But, my question was, "What would be a 'fair' low bid?" And then, your opinion about how does the seller square his/her price with the "reality" that eBay offers whole G4's for well under $180??

e...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:51 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think $120 for low… these are harder to find than whole G4s. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:41 pm 

You can always ask but he'll probably laugh at you. I think at this point, unless you want to wait around for something to get listed in the wrong area with misspellings (which typically prevents them from selling it for as much as they could), you'd have better luck looking for a cheaper 867Mhz G4 (Quicksilver) or 1Ghz G4 (MDD) on eBay or Craigslist, if not a G5.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:09 am 

OK gents, appreciate that. In motorcycling used parts"list" at 50% of cost . . . but, no real "motivation" for me to spend $180 on a part he claims to have used "professionally" for two years, when probably I could find an MDD 1 Ghz unit that could be upgraded to 10.5 . . . likely for less . . . . Really the viable life for G4 is almost gone, even linux isn't doing much as far as support for PPC . . . .

Well, I listed myself as "watching" . . . whatever that does . . . don't think it even makes sense to pay $120 for a home use G4 processor . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:00 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Agreed, if nostalgia, collectors item, or bone headed doesn't enter to the equation, then it makes no sense. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:28 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Agreed, if nostalgia, collectors item, or bone headed doesn't enter to the equation, then it makes no sense. :)

Well, "bone headed" is definitely part of the "equation" . . . because I have spent money to keep this Sawtooth going . . . . And, I do like "PPC" processors/machines . . . not exactly "nostalgia" . . . but having a "distinction" from PC, etc. So, seems like it'll be "hard" to get this machine to 1 Ghz on the cheap . . . maybe at some point I'll try to get the iMac 800 or if the iBook goes belly up, see if its 933 MHz processor would be persuaded to "rock on" in the ST . . . . PPC "frankenstein" machine . . . .

e...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I certainly can commiserate, & talk about bone headed, I likely spent more than $20K upgrading G4s. :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:32 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I certainly can commiserate, & talk about bone headed, I likely spent more than $20K upgrading G4s. :shock: :oops:

They are or were "good" machines . . . apple "lost the plot" on what they had with the PPC machines and the OS . . . interactive sounds and so forth . . . .

e.e.p.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14