XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:23 pm 

Latest update:

The earlier processor that was ordered from eBay and turned out to be "wrong" has seemingly not returned to the sender . . . over a month . . . . So, haven't spent too much time looking at ways to upgrade the G4 processor . . . .

But, this one seems to be "possible"?? Any way to know if this would work in my G4 Sawtooth model Powermac?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Processor-Module-for-Power-Mac-G4-1-00-GHz-Dual-820-1310A-1GHZ-CPU-/191590672745?

Doesn't seem to offer anything much in terms of what it is applicable to???

e..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:54 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

That is for an MDD, which requires quite a bit of work to get to work on earlier models,it may even be an overclocked 867 GHz Dual CPU...

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/661-2711-App ... 33065.html

Did we ever find if your Sawtooth had the UNI-n chip for dual CPUs?

http://www.newertech.com/tech_support/uni-north.php

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:03 pm 

I believe that's a module out of an MDD G4, which is incompatible with pre-Quicksilver G4s.

When looking at a module, look for ones that are square/rectangular. That one's like two squares melded together, which is how all MDD modules looked.

To be honest, you probably want to look for a module that wasn't made by Apple. If you stick with Apple modules you're going to be stuck with a CPU that's almost as fast as what you have now, because faster modules use a 133Mhz bus speed and your system is at 100Mhz (so, at best, those CPUs will get slowed down by 33%, at worst they may not work).

In addition you should stick to single CPU modules not duals, as there's an issue with dual core CPUs on old motherboards like yours. If the chip on your board is beyond a particular silicon revision (that's tricky to dig up from what I remember) then it can support dual, while if it's an older revision then it's stuck with single CPUs.

Aftermarket you can get single CPUs of up to 1.25Ghz (or more with overclocking) with a 100Mhz bus speed, you don't have to go dual to get a fast CPU.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:05 pm 

Thanks gents . . . I'll take a look at this in a day or so . . . work through the links and stuff . . . appreciate it.

e..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:14 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Did we ever find if your Sawtooth had the UNI-n chip for dual CPUs?
http://www.newertech.com/tech_support/uni-north.php

@BD:

Ran that utility . . . it says: "The Uni-North ASIC revision is: 7 Your Mac supports dual processor upgrade"

So, looks like it **could** be done, question remains whether it is needed or not . . . . If I can get the processor over the 933 MHz mark or beyond, I have the Leopard OS waiting to be cloned over from my ext HD . . . so close, and yet . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:57 am 
Benevolent Dictator

In 10.4.11 Dual CPUs only really mattered for a few high end Apps, 10.5.8 the OS made better use of them, but not double the performance, so a single 933 MHz would be faster than a Dual 533 MHz… as I recall. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:59 pm 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerLogix-OWC-1-4-GHz-CPU-Upgrade-for-Apple-Power-Mac-G4-PowerForce-G4-7447A-/171837569909

Peeps:

Same story different day . . . with the 2GBs RAM the PM is aallllllllmmmmooossssttttt pass-able as a daily desktop, some web page stuff doesn't happen . . . would still like to find a way to upgrade the processor. My search query on eBay has been perhaps a generic "G4 processor" . . . but seems to bring all kinds of low spec pieces, and then not for a Sawtooth (AGP graphics) model . . . . And mostly they are OEM Apple original, not the MB suggested aftermarket items.

Today it seems this item shows up, but listing for $150 . . . seems high for the fact that whole G4 computers are listing for $50 on eBay. Another type of aftermarket processor saying it is "1.8 GHz" was listing for $299.

Any suggestions on how to fine tune the search terms so that just items for Sawtooth show up and then have it be non-apple items?? Would I have to list "Giga Designs" "sonnet technology" and now "Powerlogix"?? Or is there some way to have simple search terms that will kick out any of those items?? Downside seems to be that those processors are not being given away . . . the apple items seem to be "very cheap" for the G4 items . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:28 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Any better…

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=g4 ... h&_sacat=0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:42 pm 

Oddly enough, I once bought one of these when they were still available from OWC:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251875541035

And I bought it for about half the price they're trying to sell it for.

Some people are just insane.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:28 am 

BDAqua wrote:

@BDAq:

Still seems to draw in the range of G4 . . . one of the items mentions "ZIF" . . . I'd have to read thru the thread again to know if I want ZIF, but I don't think I do . . . . But the Infinti M45 for $7100 looks pretty good, I need a new truck . . . might put a bid in on that item . . . parts is parts . . . .

Well, I'll watch for awhile longer, probably at these prices it does make more sense to move up to an early MacPro when I get tired of the inherent slowness of 450MHz processor.

@MB: Thanks for the link . . . wouldn't know what the prices were, I guess a low bid could be put in on the items, but still hard to know which ones are actually for "Sawtooth" . . . as most of them just say "G4."

e..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:07 am 

If it's a third party CPU module, it's made for both 100Mhz (Sawtooth) and 133Mhz (Digital Audio) motherboards. Nobody made CPUs for just one or the other besides Apple. Third parties wanted to sell the most modules possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:18 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
If it's a third party CPU module, it's made for both 100Mhz (Sawtooth) and 133Mhz (Digital Audio) motherboards. Nobody made CPUs for just one or the other besides Apple. Third parties wanted to sell the most modules possible.

@MB:

I suppose that might explain why they are still so expensive???

e..

PS: Just found out that about just over two months ago the 733 MHz processor that I refused delivery on, finally found its way back to MA via USPS . . . took a looooonnngggg time to get there, but it did make it . . . and got my refund via PayPal . . . now just need to get it down from the PP "cloud" . . . . :snail:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:24 pm 

Quote:
Processor Module for Power Mac G4 1.00 GHz Dual - 820-1310A 1GHZ CPU

Gents, et al:

Still keeping an eye out for reasonably priced CPU upgrade, changed my search and mentioned 1 GHz specifically and this item showed up for $20 . . . . But searching Google and using Google to search xlr8yourmac site finds "nothing" as far as trying to figure out if it works with ST or other . . . I even searched Google with the serial number which the seller showed . . . nothing shows up. Of course I'm looking to see if it could work with Sawtooth . . . figuring it doesn't. Also keeping in mind MB's advice to not use dual processor . . . but I did check via BDAq's link and this computer can do dual processor, . . . seller lists no other information besides the quote . . . ???

Think I ought to let it go???? Or bite?? :badteeth:

e..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:08 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

There were only 2 Apple 1GHz DPs, QS2002 & MDD, so I'd let it go.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/p ... dp_qs.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/p ... p_mdd.html

Likely an MDD model…
Quote:
Texas Mac Man
Jan 13, 2008 3:04 PM
Re: G4 Processor Part Numbers
in response to amacmedic
Here's a web page listing the G4 MDD 867MHz processor
http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Processor-Mo ... al-(G4/MDD)-p-33065.html

However, it has a P/N 820-1310-A as the Apple Assembly and P/N 661-2711 as the Apple Model.

 Cheers, Tom

Note: The above link is not clickable. Copy the link & paste it in your browser.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1337631?tstart=0

And, it would be no good without the Heatsink, which I'm sure wouldn't fit a Sawtooth even if the module did. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:35 am 

BDAq:

Thanks for the data, didn't think of checking everymac . . . still, not knowing that Apple only made DP for two models might have left me where I was . . . or am--not knowing what parts works for what part, etc. I've seen a couple whole MDD or QS powermacs for either $79 or $200 . . . so, almost same price as what some cpu's are listed for . . . . It's kind of "bait & switchie" that these sellers aren't providing any specs or details about what the parts will do or, even need, i.e., special heatsink, etc.

Well, other than the fact that we just took a minute of spinning beachball to spell out the word "Well" . . . the 450 MHz is not unbearable . . . . Still, in the comparo between a couple linux flavors, 10.4.11 seems to do the best all around job of running these old PPC units . . . just enough eye flash to keep it amusing . . . && Ten4Fox can more or less get the cursor around the web in good order . . . a little bit long to log into Gmail and Yahoo mail seems unresponsive at times, otherwise . . . fine.

e..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:45 am 
Benevolent Dictator

:coffee:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:11 pm 
Master

I ran my 450 MHz Sawtooth for fifteen years and couldn't have been happier, although by the end I was using exclusively as a server. I had also been using it to run Photoshop 5 in Classic, which also worked quite nicely (and suited my needs very well), but a couple years ago I picked up CS5 and that sort of closed the door on really needing the old G4. I do, however, still sometimes miss having OS 9 available.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:13 pm 

@anonymous:

Yes, the sawtooth is fine . . . more or less does what needs to be done. Might have to revise my previous statement about 10.4.11 . . . spent the morning in Xubun 12.04 with the latest kernel update from today. Nothing was overly zippy, but added "ublock origen" which seems to cut out the Gmail & Yahoo & FB "scripts" and running FF with a number of tabs open . . . things "got done."

Only problem is that Xubun 12 doesn't seem to do "suspend" . . . I like to be able to put the computer to "sleep" when I step away for lunch. So, I have to reboot into OSX to get "sleep." Today, waking up from sleep in 10.4 . . . wow, some kind of "shift" into the slo-mo lane . . . more times where clicking on something did not result in something happening . . . links not opening, spinning beachball or Progress circle spinning, but nothing happening. Took many spinning beachblls to get the XYMer log in window to even show for like 10 ***minutes*** or more . . . this was in Ten4Fox . . . do have a bunch of tabs open . . . did recently add "adblock lite" (which seemed to previously "help" things move through the 450MHz a little faster) . . . .

Today, wow . . . reaaalllllyyyyyy sloooooowwwww. Flipped over to an old install of FF . . . one that wouldn't install the edition of adblock . . . and back to some semblance of "speed." Got into Gmail pretty quick, found the email from XYMer . . . clicked on the link . . . done deal. Hard to know what's up . . . sudden tide change on the web where 10.4.11 just isn't cutting it? Ten4Fox not handling the adblock add-on . . . now in FF 3.6.17 . . . . OK except it gives me the low res version of Gmail the way SeaMonkey does . . . . :bonk: :classic-eek: :snail:

e..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:13 pm 
Master

RAM might be an issue. Newer versions of Firefox seem pretty memory hungry and can be very sluggish on older hardware, even older Intel hardware that runs at 4x the clock rate. How much RAM did you say you have installed?

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:16 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
RAM might be an issue. Newer versions of Firefox seem pretty memory hungry and can be very sluggish on older hardware, even older Intel hardware that runs at 4x the clock rate. How much RAM did you say you have installed?

- Anonymous

I MAXED it out to its 2 GB limit . . . and that did help . . . . But, I think today's internet is just too "complicated" for the 450 MHz & the whatever it is, 16 MB video card . . . too much "background scripting" going on for it to keep up with.

Since I posted that last item, I had gone to FB in the old edition FF, and it got there OK, but then just trying to get a cursor to show up in a comment box . . . just wasn't happening. So I went back to Ten4Fox . . . since I had booted what the "user" or whatever thinks is an older FF before, my adblock and themes were "removed" when I went back to TFF. So I just went with opening fresh tabs and changed over to "ublock origen" and things seem to be "back to normal" . . . no spinning beachball getting here or posting some goofball humor on FB . . . that's all I need to do . . . . :coffee:

e..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:25 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

If that happens again, Force Quit TFF/FF, start it again, File>Work Offline, Restore button, wait a bit, File>Work Online, open tabs one at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:56 am 

BDAqua wrote:
If that happens again, Force Quit TFF/FF, start it again, File>Work Offline, Restore button, wait a bit, File>Work Online, open tabs one at a time.

@BDAq:

OK, many thanks, I'll try to remember, usually don't have any reason to "work offline" so I haven't tried that. But essentially I did FQ out of TFF the first time . . . but, then when I went back to it, didn't "restore session" as there were many tabs . . . . But, I'd had that many tabs open for quite awhile and it seemed to be OK. Anyway, right now 5 tabs . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:13 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm, if i Force quit mine I can Restore 7 Windows with 32 tabs, only on a very rare occasion does it lose any

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:02 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Hmmm, if i Force quit mine I can Restore 7 Windows with 32 tabs, only on a very rare occasion does it lose any

Well, right, that's what I was doing, 1 window with perhaps 15 tabs, and using "restore previous session" when logging back into OSX . . . . Did that for quite awhile, then yesterday this "slo-mo" thing . . . . So I slimmed it down.

Are you checking this 7 windows in your 450 MHz ST? : - )

Just awhile ago, in either Yahoo, Gmail, Or FB ublock showed "155" "blocked requests" . . . ??? I believe from just "one" site???

e..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:25 am 
Benevolent Dictator

No, but I am using a slow machine & slow connection... did you take it Offline before Restoring?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next