XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:42 am 

15 tabs is probably 10 tabs too much for 2GB of RAM, esp. if you're using modern websites.

I think what happened is you woke it from sleep and TFF refreshed all tabs simultaneously. This means it had to spend an inordinate amount of time swapping in all the tabs that had been placed in virtual memory back into memory, which meant other tabs had to be placed into virtual memory, and then that memory needed to be accessed... hence the endless beachballs.

So long as you can work within it's limitations you'll probably be fine, you just can't go off and do things like you would on a modern system. Think of what you were doing when the Sawtooth was new, browsing through the internet one page at a time... it's good at that. Try to do much more than that and it'll fall down as easily as a drunken toddler.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:09 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, very good points MB! :) :coffee:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:20 am 

BDAqua wrote:
No, but I am using a slow machine & slow connection... did you take it Offline before Restoring?

I got this data from you after I had gone through the slo-mo, FQ, switch to old FF, switch back to TFF . . . and then, didn't "restore" . . . so I think it's "too late" to get all of those 15 tabs back . . . .

Anyway, back at work so the PM is shut down for the next 48 hours or so . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:46 am 

Latest update, sort of on topic and not . . . . .

Got the Crucial RAM upgrade kit for my '09 MBPro installed yesterday, seems to have gone OK . . . things in the LM17.1 partition seemed to be "much faster" . . . over in SL & Mav partitions things just seem "faster" . . . I guess the C2Duo processor just has its way of getting the job done--it has always seemed to "pause to reflect" upon the proposed job that has been clicked on, before firing quickly . . . so it seems to come out about the same time as ye olde PPC 933 MHz processor in the iBook???? But, lots of fun to pop the hood and pry out the old 4GB RAM and hammer the new 8GB RAM modules into place . . . .

Back on the topic of the thread . . . the PM 3,1 and getting it to be a tad faster . . . I was thinking that my 800 MHz iMac might be "revived" after the second round of RAM "execution" . . . but, clearly something is wrong with the mobo, FW port no longer works . . . its killing RAM every few months. So, question for the board, given having a rainy day, and given that very few CPUs seem to be showing up on eBay that might give me something over 933 MHz so that Leopard could be installed, could the (I think) '02 iMac processor be plugged into the '00 PowerMac?? It might tide me over for a little while and give me enough speed to do what I need to do, check emails and sometimes a visit to FB . . . which the 450 MHz is finding harder and harder to deal with, I guess too much "action" on the FB web site for the sloth-like 450 to handle?? Could that 800 be "plug n play"??? Or, wait until something "pops" on the iBook and then see if the '04 iBook 933 processor could fit the PM???

Thanks y' all,
e..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:25 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Reply Helpfulby roam on Jun 19, 2007 3:42 PM
Hi JamboSassa

The processor in eMacs and most Apples generally are soldered to the logic board and are not upgradable. To change anything you would have to change the logic board and that would mean it would be easier to buy a faster eMac like a 1.42GHZ. And then that leads to thinking about buying other kinds of Macs and that's a completely different path to what you intend.

So, unfortunately there nothing much you can do about the speed of the CPU.

regards roam

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1003773?tstart=0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:17 am 

BD:

Thanks for the link . . . maybe I should go for the "overclock" on the 450 Mhz? turn it into a "screamer" ??? Or like the "Pheidis" guy said, if the cpu is soldered into the iMac, might be cheap enough to buy a soldering iron to melt the solder, and if it doesn't work . . . it's just "parts bin" at this point? Taking up space, not worth fixing . . . ?? And, it's funny how the PM as it stands is "OK" for doing stuff like this . . . typing posts on forums . . . but, then seems to just "freeze up" on other modern web tasks . . . like, FB . . . and just a little bit more speed might get it done . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:27 am 
Benevolent Dictator

De-soldering would be easy, soldering not so.

About bloated sites, on a fast Mac using 28K Dial-up this site's pages load in a send or less, except maybe the post a pic pages which takes a few seconds, same Mac & connection, just logging in to Apple Discussions took 1 hour! :coffee:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:54 am 

BDAqua wrote:
De-soldering would be easy, soldering not so.

About bloated sites, on a fast Mac using 28K Dial-up this site's pages load in a send or less, except maybe the post a pic pages which takes a few seconds, same Mac & connection, just logging in to Apple Discussions took 1 hour! :coffee:

Got a good chuckle out of that one. Right, I had the same experience trying to reply to somebody's FB post on my PM . . . took an hour to "get it done" . . . on my PM in 10.4.11. Haven't been by the Apple Discussion site in quite some time . . . . :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:48 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Mmmmaybe. It really depends on which iMac it is.
Though... hmm... the lampshade iMac does use a standard ATAPI optical drive. I replaced one for a coworker last year.

How about $8 plus $6 shipping? Only downside is it'll only write to DVD+R/+RW media, not DVD-R/-RW media. It can read either, plus DVD-ROM and CD-R/-RW/-ROMs. Even if there's some international/customs charges involved how much can they be on something this small? You'd know better than I would, but last time I got something from Canada that was under $20 the customs charges were only $4 or so. Admittedly that was a long time ago...

@MB, et al:

Latest problem of yesterday; so I've had this optical drive running long enough to burn a few DVD+ . . . I got a box of RWs, and I wanted to erase a couple of them to prepare to burn newer images, so, same machine burned them and now, the "erase" button was greyed out. In "Get info" it says "read only" . . . on a RW disk . . . . Over on my MBPro, which now likely no longer can write DVDs, I put the disk in and running in 10.6.8 & then in 10.9.4??? I was able to erase the disks . . . . Then, back in PM Sawtooth I was able to burn the .dmg files and eventually boot one of them in the PM.

But, any thoughts as to why the optical drive is burning DVDs, but then can't erase them? In Disk Utility there doesn't seem to be any place to select options on burning, except for speed . . . . Is this because the mother ship doesn't recognize the alien optical drive, so it makes everything "read only" for safety? Or, erasing has nothing to do with "read only"?? Seems like if the optical drive was able to burn the DVDs it should be able to erase the same ones, no?

e..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:26 am 
Benevolent Dictator

First thought/query... are you selecting the whole Disc to erase, or the Partition?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:36 am 

BDAqua wrote:
First thought/query... are you selecting the whole Disc to erase, or the Partition?

BD:

I tried both. I selected the burned image below the optical drive symbol in the left hand column of DU, as well as the "optical drive" image . . . in both instances and on two different, or three different DVDs, the "erase" button was "greyed" or non-responsive to action.

Over in the MBPro . . . I think I just selected the "optical drive" and completely erased it . . . no worries or special handling.

e..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:43 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm, trying to remember back when I had RWs, thought that was it...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:11 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Hmmm, trying to remember back when I had RWs, thought that was it...

So what was the thought? To select the "burned" partition image, rather than the "optical drive" image?

I was wondering if this was a 10.4.11 issue, but I do remember burning and erasing DVD- on my G4 iMac . . . just seems odd that I can mount, boot, and burn on this new optical drive, but seems to not do "erase"????

e..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:44 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yes, I thought it worked if the whole Optical drive was chosen, is Erase grayed out or what when you try on the PM?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:55 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Yes, I thought it worked if the whole Optical drive was chosen, is Erase grayed out or what when you try on the PM?

BD:

Yes, Erase is grayed out. I noticed that in the MBPro the "erase" button didn't look any different and clicking on it, worked. So I even tried clicking on the PM grayed out button . . . nada.

e..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:47 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Avon B7 just pointed me to a great use for a G4/450...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7570

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:05 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Avon B7 just pointed me to a great use for a G4/450...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7570

???? Link seemed to go to a car thread???? :cry:

e..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:49 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

AvonB7's link there???

http://www.mujmac.cz/rubriky/pocitace/t ... s--54586cz

It looks like a car thread, but the G4/450 is the whole story there!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:11 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
AvonB7's link there???

http://www.mujmac.cz/rubriky/pocitace/t ... s--54586cz

It looks like a car thread, but the G4/450 is the whole story there!

OK, that one looks like photos of the G4 . . . very inspirational . . . . I wish thieves hadn't stolen my 73 Bug a few years back . . . I could think about stashing my Sawtooth in the "trunk" . . . and thread the display into the passenger seat . . . something . . . . Instead I'm wondering why I can't erase DVD+ on my G4???

e..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:40 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I'll try to check on my G4/10.4.11 tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:54 pm 

Cool. I can't know if this is a new thing on this computer, since the previous drive I believe was CD only . . . so don't know . . . but this is 10.4.11 . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:17 am 

este.el.paz wrote:
Instead I'm wondering why I can't erase DVD+ on my G4???

e..

You mean DVD RW don't you? You can't erase a DVD otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:37 am 

MacBiter wrote:
este.el.paz wrote:
Instead I'm wondering why I can't erase DVD+ on my G4???

e..

You mean DVD RW don't you? You can't erase a DVD otherwise.

@MacB:

Yes. That is what I said, at least in the recent first post on this optical drive/erase problem, if not a couple times after. Hence the question . . . .

e..

PS:[Edit:] I'm running ToriOS on Xubuntu 12.04 and I put a DVD+ [RW] in the optical drive and in Brasero there are only options for burning. In "xfburn" it shows "prepare blank disk for burning" ??? something like that. When I click on that I get a task window that opens and in red it says: "DVD+RW does not need blanking"??? So perhaps it has just been overzealousness on my part to first erase what is on the disk to make sure that what is burned is only the new mostly iso/dmg . . . but, that isn't necessary?? And a new burn will wipe everything?? I'm pretty sure I've seen advice on linux forums to erase a disk before new burn??? Or, it's only in linux that would nuke n pave the RW disk by default?? Didn't try it out . . . things to do this AM . . . .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 am 
Benevolent Dictator

As I recall, the R/W standard was never universally accepted, on Macs we had to erase them to use them again, on PCs they could just Erase the Directory & didn't need to Zero the whole Disc, later Macs got Toast with Quick Erase that did the same thing, & I think Dragon Burn does that too.

Apple never included that option in their SW... they were too busy turning their backs on customer wants/needs. :upset:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:27 am 

I think you can erase an RW disk but you have to use Disk Utility to do it. I think you select the optical drive and then erase disc is one of the options on one of the tabs... its been so long since I worked with RWs I don't entirely recall. Toast certainly can quick erase, which just wipes out the start of the disc and not the entire disc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next