XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MacOS as I recal il...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:21 am 
Benevolent Dictator

My first Mac was a Qudra/630, still have it, still runs everyday, still useful Image

Only reason I went to Mac/Apple, was that Apple was supporting MagicMac, the Atari Emulator with Bells & Whistles as Atari was trying it's best to kill itself off! Image

I wasn't at all impressed with System 6 and it's promise of 32 bit color, as I already had bought an hp Deskwriter and wrote drivers to print in full color at 300*300 DPI for my Ataris which also had Atari Laser Printers that took like 1 second to send a full page to print via ACSI/DMA, (LOL, it actually was built to print Video output @ 8 pages per minute!)

So meanwhile, Os7 would only print to Apple expensive printers, not sure if they ever even got OS6/Deskwriter drivers before OS7 broke eberything!

Anyway... 7.5.1 never worked, 7.5.2 was nearly as bad, 7.5.3 worked if you held your mouth just right and had a Tailwind!

7.5.5 was a major breakthrough, it worked, it fixed things, it was solid, it's solid to thid day!

7.6/7.6.1 was a step forward, but 2 steps backwards... faster HD access, but broke previous stuff is about all.

Then we had OS8, which only broke stuff, then 8.1 which added HFS+, but still broke more stuff! (Bought the first 266MHz Beige to hit town, thinking I had the wherewithall skills to make it run OS7.5.5! LOL

Then came OS8.5, which should've been OS8.6, nice that we got FW & USB, even though there wasn't any FW, nor USB that worked on Macs... LOL... broke allthe printer drivers again though! Image

Finally... OS9.0.4, but wait, it broke the Printer Drivers again, was twice as large as OS8.6, was slower... but at least we had another digit Image

OS9.1 was a nice improvement, faster though bigger yet, still works today lest you need to tie it to OSX/Classic.

Then came OSEX... never got in on the ground floor, but I hear it wasn't much. Did buy OSx.0.4, (still running on a couple of Beige G4/DP/500s, as that's as far as THEY will go and still use 2 CPUs, also the last version of OSX that'll run with DPs at different speeds!

Then came 10.1.5, which I think 10.0.0 should've been! Sure, we're still breaking printer drivers, but you should be used to it by now! Image

10.2.6/10.2.8... still have rock solid machines running it!

OSx.3.4 to 10.3.9... still my favorite, most usefull incantation of OSx, use it as my main Work OS... after TOS 3.06 & OS7.5.5... HEY, when you just have to get it done no mater what Image

What do I think of the upcoming Leopard?

It'll break the Printer Drivers again, it'll require 12GB for an Install, it'll have Spotlight Extreme that will only find/search for Apple installed SW and Apple purchased Music/Videos stored on your .mac account... makes me glad that Apple guaranteed me that eMail addy for life... may need it once they put that mark on my forehead Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:58 pm 
he who stacks pork

Hey man, don’t scoff at those Laserwriters—there are at least three of them where I work (PCs are not a common sight there) that have pumped out beyond 100,000 pages and still work flawlessly.

Anyhow, keeping ON TOPIC with Pre-G3 (nothing here indicates that people used VIC-20 or Commodore shixtywhores) machines, here is my brief history (most from memory, as some approximations are necessary):

• November 1983: prerelease Macintosh 128K machine arrives in our household
• sometime in late 1984 or early 1985 the “FatMac” 512K machine arrives in our household
• sometime in late 1985 or 1986 the “FatMac” was upgraded to 2.5MB of RAM, and a 20MB External SCSI “Dataframe” hard drive come into play, and with it I cut into Super Studio Session and a MacNifty digital audio sampler and start writing music (from 1986 to 1989 I produced three albums, and people actually bought them!!!) — this same computer is still in my posession, and it and Dataframe HD still work!!!
• in 1987 my dad bought a Mac II for work
• in 1988 my dad added a Mac IIx
• in 1989 my dad and I (I was working for him at the time) went halves on a Mac IIfx with 80MB of RAM ($16,000.00 for the RAM at the time, I believe that the Mac IIfx was another $11,000.00), and then a RasterOps 24STV NUBUS graphics card was added
• I think that 1991 was when the two NUBUS Photoshop Accelerator Cards were added, which made Photoshop 2-3 SCREAM super freakin’ fast
• that same Mac IIfx followed me through college to 1994, and was used faithfully until 1997 when…
• late 1997, I bought a used Powermac 6100/66, and at some point added a Microconversions 12MB Voodoo2 card (with DB15 passthrough cable)
• in late 1998, I bought a brand-new 300MHz Beige G3 desktop form factor Powermac (which later recieved a Voodoo3 2000 PCI card with an overclocked 176MHz Voodoo3 3000 ROM, 384MB of RAM, and a 450MHz Formac G3 ZIF which I overclocked to 500MHz)
• in late 1999 I bought a 350MHz Yosemite G3 Powermac, and promptly transplanted the Voodoo3 card and overclocked Formac G3 ZIF into it
• in late 2000 I bought a 400MHz AGP G4 Powermac, and later added a $300 (brand new price) 64MB Voodoo5 5500 PCI card
• some time in 2001 I bought a dual 533MHz Digital Audio G4 Powermac
• some time in 2001 I bought two more dual 533MHz Digital Audio Powermacs (I eventually sold the two Digital Audios, and then in 2006 sold the remaining Digital Audio to a friend of mine, and then another two Beige G3s with overclocked XPC7400 G4 ZIFs in them)
• some time in early 2002 I bought three more Beige G3 Powermacs and put overclocked G3 ZIFs into them (my claim to fame was the 533MHz rated XPC7410 ZIF Peltier cooled to a reliable 709MHz)
• some time in 2002 I bought a dual 1GHz Quicksilver Powermac, which turned out to be the most problematic Apple product I ever owned (two failed motherboards, and one tempermental dual 1GHz CPU module which mysteriously behaved somewhat orderly when used on a Digital Audio motherboard)
• some time in early 2002 my dad bought me a 22" Apple Cinema Display since he promised he would do when he sold the house he and my mom lived in until my mom died (he turned a hell of a profit on the sale, although I’d rather still have a mom who is alive) and I still use it every day
• some time in late 2002 I bought a dual 1GHz MDD “Quadnostril” G4 Powermac (167MHz bus) which I still have to this day (which has had a new powersupply, and sports an overclocked to 1.42GHz dual 1.25GHz 7455A CPU module and a custom Tycho-designed case cooling setup)
• in 2003 I somehow acquired two more Beige G3 Powermacs which I configured and somehow turned profits on reselling them on eBay
• in March of 2005 (or was it 2006????) I bought one of a multitude of vlad1966’s available offerings, specifically, a 1.5GHz G4 MacMini, which is driving a 35" LCD television and a modular stereo system (which is more than adequate for a townhome)
• in late 2006 my wife finally let me get the taste of a G5, so I bought a refurbished dualcore 2.3GHz G5 Powermac, and it is pretty damn snappy… although my quickest booting machines (aside from virtual machines, BDAqua, since we all know that an emulated 68K machine under Basilisk II on a G5 system boots in five seconds) are still the two overclocked dual 1.42GHz G4 MDD Quadnostril systems (both of them have the Tycho “full flow” cooling design treatment) which cold boot into the Finder in 10.4.9 in 49 seconds
• in even later 2006 I managed to score my second dual 1.25GHz G4 MDD “Quadnostril” Powermac for just over $600 including shipping… naturally within the third week of ownership the case received a complete Tycho full-flow treatment, and the CPUs were overclocked to dual 1.42GHz

And that’s all for now.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:37 pm 

I did, indeed, have a C-64, and I miss it dearly Image
Know what I mean?

--NoMeansNo--
Tired of Waiting

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:10 am 

I replaced the default blue background of my login screen with a screenshot of the C= 64 power-on screen.

I used my C-64 long after the rest of the world had passed it by.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:42 am 
Vice Dictator

Quote:
late 1997, I bought a used Powermac 6100/66, and at some point added a Microconversions 12MB Voodoo2 card (with DB15 passthrough cable)
-he who stacks pork

Not that I think your crazy here; but I don't believe you had a voodoo2 card in a powermac 6100. My pm 6110 only has a nubus pds slot and no pci slots; maybe you have a developer pci edition Image If I am wrong; please let me know. I"ll post my mac/pc history later tonight; great list by the way LEO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:09 pm 
he who stacks pork

SandyG3 wrote:
Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
late 1997, I bought a used Powermac 6100/66, and at some point added a Microconversions 12MB Voodoo2 card (with DB15 passthrough cable)
-he who stacks pork

Not that I think your crazy here; but I don't believe you had a voodoo2 card in a powermac 6100. My pm 6110 only has a nubus pds slot and no pci slots; maybe you have a developer pci edition Image

I may be losing my marbles. I did had some sort of pre-G3 model that had PCI slots which the case was very similar to a desktop form factor Beige G3 though, and I did play Myth I on it. It could have been a 7100 if they made one with either a 60MHz or 66MHz CPU in it, along with PCI slots.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:33 pm 

or a 7200 perhaps...(these went on to 120Mhpz PPC601s)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:03 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Then came OSEX... never got in on the ground floor, but I hear it wasn't much. Did buy OSx.0.4, (still running on a couple of Beige G4/DP/500s, as that's as far as THEY will go and still use 2 CPUs, also the last version of OSX that'll run with DPs at different speeds!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:10 am 

Did someone mention LaserWriters? I still have my trusty NTR which I bought in 1992 for the small fortune of $1,750. I've put about $100 worth of parts into it over the last five years, but it just keeps on running.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:59 am 
Benevolent Dictator

They don't make 'em like that anymore!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:49 am 

Ha! I still have MY NTR, but I bought it when it was being discontinued for $750. It still works, but I need 600 dpi so it sits in storage, as a back up printer. I can't bring myself to get rid of vintage hardware that still works great.

Because I wanted total compatibility with X and OS 9, I recently got a LaserWriter 16/600 on eBay. Low mileage, and IT works fabulous. No worrying about drivers for this baby.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:15 am 
Vice Dictator

Ive got a Brother HL1240 which I got on clearance for $70. Used it 5 years through college and still using it to this day. Still on the original toner and drum. Not a bad investment!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:54 pm 
Master

ESprung wrote:
...I still have MY NTR...

If it's used eventually the laser scanner assembly will die. That part wasn't reliable in the Personal LaserWriter. It was sort of the Achilles heel of that model, just like the big triac in the main power supply of a LaserWriter II. Image

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:07 pm 
he who stacks pork

When I was working at Apple in March - May of 2007, the department I was working in (DeAnza 3, in the Applecare group) had a couple of older Laserwriter printers. I don’t recall the model numbers, but I do believe that one of them had output more than 80,000 pages in its lifetime (saw the test-fire output sheet from it). Was that the Laserwriter II series printers that did that test page thing?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:09 pm 
Master

Both the Personal LaserWriters and the LaserWriter II series had test pages built in to the printer engines. If the test page was a page covered with straight lines, it was the engine test page. If it had a nifty Postscript image it was the IO board "oh look, someone just turned me on!" page. 80,000 pages isn't very many for a LaserWriter II, but getting old for a Personal LaserWriter; that's right around when the laser scanner unit would die. The II often needed a new fuser assembly by then, and the rollers could use a good wipe down with some ammonia based cleaner, but you could usually count on them going for another 100,000 pages without much concern, and often many more (if you were patient -- those weren't fast printers). And when they did die, the LW II power supplies weren't really that expensive.

Most mid-range to high end laser printers will run just about forever if they're reasonably maintained. I've got one here that's about three and half years old, a Xerox Phaser (no, not one of the dumb solid ink models) that has just shy of 400,000 pages on the clock.

Many low end lasers I've seen aren't so reliable, but most people don't notice because it takes them five years to get through the first toner cartridge. That's pretty darned good in comparison to most inkjets.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:44 pm 

Man, we had a 4/600 LaserWriter running forever in our editorial dept. We easily put 125,000 pages through that in 6 years, as it was our sole dept. printer. Then, when someone was moving it around, they dropped it and broke internals, which I didn't think was possible, given that it was a tank inside.
Know what I mean?

--NoMeansNo--
Tired of Waiting

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:58 am 

bobodante wrote:
Man, we had a 4/600 LaserWriter running forever in our editorial dept. We easily put 125,000 pages through that in 6 years, as it was our sole dept. printer. Then, when someone was moving it around, they dropped it and broke internals, which I didn't think was possible, given that it was a tank inside.

I, too had a 4/600 that ran forever. I'm still using an HP LaserJet 4100N that is many years old. It needs new rollers, but it's still running like a champ, despite being continuously powered for most of its life.

-- Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:20 pm 
Master

seHutson wrote:
bobodante wrote:

I, too had a 4/600 that ran forever. I'm still using an HP LaserJet 4100N that is many years old. It needs new rollers, but it's still running like a champ, despite being continuously powered for most of its life.

-- Steve

The Laserjet 4 series, including the 4xxx models, will run forever. I suspect relatively few 4/600s were kept forever because they were so slow and lacked modern connectivity. I was never very fond of the 4/600.

Among my favorite classic laser printers, aside from the LaserJet 4 series and related models, were the LaserWriter Pro 630 and 16/600. I'm still running a (relatively youthful) 4100 and slightly decrepit 16/600 at work. Had to put a new fuser in the 16/600 about five years ago, and when that fuser finishes dying we'll probably replace the printer, but that's still a pretty good life. As of today it has run just a hair over 787,000 pages.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:31 pm 

I started with a Commodore 128 which I totally pimped out with the 512K RAM cartridge, the GeoCable which I used to connect an Okidata LED printer to to use with Geos, with 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives. I used that for about 10 years when I bought my first Mac.
I purchased a shiny new Performa 6110CD from Sears in '95. I kept that for many years, always upgrading when able such as with the Sonnet Crescendo upgrades, etc. Then in '98 while working for MTV I was able to confiscate old systems they were getting rid of and was able to quickly go through a PowerMac 7100, 8100, and ended up with a 9600 for a little while. Finally a friend who was working at a dot-com that went bust gave me the opportunity to get a Sawtooth for $500. Again I continued to inherit various cast-off systems from clients and such and accumulated more Sawtooths, a DA, a Gigabit Ethernet, a Quad-Nostril (MDD), and finally a Quicksilver which I upgraded with dual 1.6 G4 upgrade. When the Intel Macs first came out, I got a Core Solo mini which I modded with a 2Ghz Core Duo, but that only became my Intel test machine and my Quicksilver remained my main machine. Finally though, I kept running into issues where my systems were just too slow or too incapable and got my Mac Pro that I already mentioned before.
On the portable front, eBay was my friend and I started with a PowerBook 1400 which I kept until I got a 500Mhz Pismo which held me in good stead for a long time. Finally, it couldn't handle what I was needing in a portable for work and I upgraded to my current PowerBook G4 1.33 Ghz 15". I'd really love to upgrade to a MacBook Pro, but since I just bought the Mac Pro, it'll probably be a little while before I can get a new system.

As far as printers go, after my Okidata died, I inherited a LaserWriter 12/600 which was excellent. Unfortunately it also became too expensive to maintain and I needed color for my work, so I got a Konica Minolta color laser which was also great. Recently though I purchased a Brother 4070CDW color laser for $400 which has built-in wired and wireless networking, duplexing, prints 21 PPM, and handles any paper type you through at it. Best printer I've ever had.

Jeff