XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SMART failing report
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:14 pm 

I have a 4 TB Hitachi desk star in my 2012 Mac Pro tower. It is about 3 years old. I've noticed a lot of spinning beach ball lately. Hi boot off of an M.2 Drive This is a back up drive but it is 80% full and has stuff on it that I have kept since I first started interacting with Mike in 1997. The system profiler shows that it is failing. I booted to an old 10.6.8 Drive with speed tools on it and it gave me a SMART warning about backing the drive up because it will fail soon. This is a first for me and the finder often quits when I try to copy things off of it to a back up drive. Is there a way to repair such a disk by using something like disk warrior? I really just want to save all the data on the disk. Thanks guys!
I have been good about backing up system discs but this is my back up drive that is failing.

Post subject: Re: SMART failing report
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:33 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Best way is DiskWarrior holding alt key at Rebuild to build an alternate directory, then use CCC or Tri-Backup to clone it using the alternate Directory.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:06 pm 
Master

S.M.A.R.T. failures indicate the hardware is failing. The Finder is probably freezing up because it's waiting indefinitely for the drive to return the requested data, and it's taking forever because the drive can't reliably read it and is loathe to just give up.

I strongly recommend replacing the drive. Attempting to repair the directory, assuming there are in fact directory problems, will probably only compound the failure. If you have anything on it that isn't anywhere else, copy those data immediately to another drive as best you can.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:19 am 

Thank you guys, i've been able to copy about 75% I will try your suggestion for best copy, BD. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:25 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

To clarify, when holding alt key in Diskwarrior on Rebuild it turns into Rebuild..., click on that & choose Scavenge, that makes an alt directory not on the suspect drive, which will me fewer accesses to the suspect drive during cloning.

Last I accomplished this in combo with TriBackup 5, which tries hard but skips really bad files without stopping the process, & afterwards shows you which ines had trouble, at which point you can try individual copies of files if they're really important, I think CCC at the time erred out when failing to copy, not sure on later versions of CCC.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:31 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
To clarify, when holding alt key in Diskwarrior on Rebuild it turns into Rebuild..., click on that & choose Scavenge, that makes an alt directory not on the suspect drive, which will me fewer accesses to the suspect drive during cloning.

Last I accomplished this in combo with TriBackup 5, which tries hard but skips really bad files without stopping the process, & afterwards shows you which ines had trouble, at which point you can try individual copies of files if they're really important, I think CCC at the time erred out when failing to copy, not sure on later versions of CCC.

Thanks BD, I will try this tomorrow when the new driver arrives. I've always been wary of having Drive shipped from Amazon but I needed something fast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:50 pm 

I would certainly boot your system off another disk. DiskWarrior is good for allowing you to "preview" the changed directory structure before writing it to disk, then you can use that preview to salvage whatever information you can off to a third disk.

I suggest copying in smaller chunks so if one copy fails you have a better idea of where the failure occurred. If you try to copy the entire disk and that copy fails, figuring out where it failed is often more work than just making a bunch of smaller copies.

If you totally can't get data off the disk, I've had very good luck with ddrescue under Linux copying all salvagable sectors verbatim over to a second disk of equal or larger size. Once the data is copied you then run repair tools on the second disk to get it back into a usable/recoverable state, although you will need a third disk to copy whatever data is usable off. Once you're satisfied you've gotten everything you wipe out the second drive so it's not in any kind of quasi-functional somewhat-corrupted state. You could also run data recovery tools against the second drive to try and get your data back that way - since the disk isn't damaged or failing, just corrupt, you stand a better chance of getting data back.

Just understand that ddrescue is entirely terminal driven and requires some Linux knowledge to use (specifically which drives are which - /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.). Since Linux doesn't natively understand HFS+ you have to use deduction to figure out which drive is your source and which is your target... connect source, note which drive is the 4TB disk, shut down, disconnect, connect destination to different port, turn on, note which drive is the 4TB disk, shut down, connect both disks, turn on, verify disks correspond to earlier values. Imagine trying to keep this straight with the phone ringing every 45 seconds and you've got my average workday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:44 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I would certainly boot your system off another disk. DiskWarrior is good for allowing you to "preview" the changed directory structure before writing it to disk, then you can use that preview to salvage whatever information you can off to a third disk.

I suggest copying in smaller chunks so if one copy fails you have a better idea of where the failure occurred. If you try to copy the entire disk and that copy fails, figuring out where it failed is often more work than just making a bunch of smaller copies.

If you totally can't get data off the disk, I've had very good luck with ddrescue under Linux copying all salvagable sectors verbatim over to a second disk of equal or larger size. Once the data is copied you then run repair tools on the second disk to get it back into a usable/recoverable state, although you will need a third disk to copy whatever data is usable off. Once you're satisfied you've gotten everything you wipe out the second drive so it's not in any kind of quasi-functional somewhat-corrupted state. You could also run data recovery tools against the second drive to try and get your data back that way - since the disk isn't damaged or failing, just corrupt, you stand a better chance of getting data back.

Just understand that ddrescue is entirely terminal driven and requires some Linux knowledge to use (specifically which drives are which - /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.). Since Linux doesn't natively understand HFS+ you have to use deduction to figure out which drive is your source and which is your target... connect source, note which drive is the 4TB disk, shut down, disconnect, connect destination to different port, turn on, note which drive is the 4TB disk, shut down, connect both disks, turn on, verify disks correspond to earlier values. Imagine trying to keep this straight with the phone ringing every 45 seconds and you've got my average workday.

Thank you, I just got the replacement drive. Amazon shipped to the retail replacement drive in a box with no padding out of Las Vegas.

Attachments:
IMG_9491.JPG [580.91 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:47 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

And if you decide to go the DW>Scavenge route, DO NOT replace the Directory... in case that wasn't clear.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:16 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
And if you decide to go the DW>Scavenge route, DO NOT replace the Directory... in case that wasn't clear.

Thank you, I have a very old copy of this DW. Right now I am trying to carbon copy cloner back up. So far so good. I am still concerned about potential damage and shipping but the drive is quiet and working.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:55 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Good luck & keep us abreast please.:)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:17 pm 

sauria wrote:
Thank you, I just got the replacement drive. Amazon shipped to the retail replacement drive in a box with no padding out of Las Vegas.

Oh god I had visions of a bare HD bouncing around that same size box. It was in the retail box, it should still be OK. With the heads parked drives can absorb a lot of Gs. I'd still go out of my way to write a review though, it certainly should have had some padding in the box. Maybe their standard air bladder thing was too big given the size of that retail box...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:29 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
sauria wrote:

Oh god I had visions of a bare HD bouncing around that same size box. It was in the retail box, it should still be OK. With the heads parked drives can absorb a lot of Gs. I'd still go out of my way to write a review though, it certainly should have had some padding in the box. Maybe their standard air bladder thing was too big given the size of that retail box...

Thank you. I was pissed, is this the Easter Holiday packaging crew? Currently CCC is getting 1/3 of the way done but Activity Monitor shows "reading" a lot more than "writing" to the new drive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:55 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Activity Monitor shows "reading" a lot more than "writing" to the new drive.

Part of that is likely the old drive is highly fragmented & slower to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:56 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
Activity Monitor shows "reading" a lot more than "writing" to the new drive.

Part of that is likely the old drive is highly fragmented & slower to begin with.

Thanks. It keeps chugging away, much better than what I've been able to do with the finder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:59 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:15 pm 
Master

It will also do a lot more reading from the old drive if it can't read reliably. In that case, much of the time needed for copying the data may be spent retrying blocks for which it detected a read error on the first pass.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:22 pm 

Thank you. I hope that It can keep chugging away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:12 am 

Still going after 17 hours. I am impressed that carbon copy cloner does not seem to give up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:58 am 
Benevolent Dictator

How is the new drive connected & how full is the old drive?

Last CCC I did from internal SATA3 to new USB drive was 460.16 GB, elapsed time was 7hrs & 7min.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:06 pm 

I once had a 2.5" 500GB 5400rpm drive take the better part of 3 days to copy using ddrescue. It was very far gone by the time the student bothered to alert anyone that he was having trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:43 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
How is the new drive connected & how full is the old drive?

Last CCC I did from internal SATA3 to new USB drive was 460.16 GB, elapsed time was 7hrs & 7min.

The old drive is 4TB and is about 80% full. The new drive on an eSATA dock and occasionally hits full write speed. I am using the eSATA ports on an OWC mercury Excelsior PCIE SSD card. It's been going for 25 hours now and I it looks to be about three quarters of the way done according to carbon copy cloner.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, sounds good! :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:38 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I once had a 2.5" 500GB 5400rpm drive take the better part of 3 days to copy using ddrescue. It was very far gone by the time the student bothered to alert anyone that he was having trouble.

I must learn your patience!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:24 pm 

I just dedicate a second system to recovery tasks, all I look for are blinky lights and when it stops blinking I know it's finished.

One really nice thing about ddrescue is that it can write a log of activity out to a flash drive or another writable destination, so if you lose power in the middle and get dumped back at square one it can use that log to resume the rescue at the point it got interrupted. Nifty little piece of software.