XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:36 pm 

I've been trying for years to keep my old Astra 2200 scanner working as the OS updates keep coming. I use Twain Sane and most recently have been able to scan only using Graphic Converter in conjunction with Twain Sane. With a recent OS update it seems that now the Graphic Converter/Twain interface will only allow me to select 'Lineart' (use to be able to select grey and color too) so it only scans black and white. In trying to resolve this I came across a terminal command:
Code:
scanimage --format tiff > test.tiff

which scans a tiff file in color to the home directory. Now, I can make a simple clickable.sh file that will run that in terminal, but I played with the command a bit and discovered it will also do PNM and jpg files too. So I thought wouldn't it be nifty to be able to use a drop down or button select menu to select file output format as well as providing a way to type in a file name and the location of choice for the resulting scan file.

Anyone willing to guide me in trying to create this? Applescript? Automator? Forgive me if this is more involved than I think it would be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:19 am 

I reloaded an old solution, a program called SNAC. I thought it no longer would work with the OS update but apparently that was just a coincidence. I re-installed SNAC and it works again. It does everything I wanted plus more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:36 am 

db5owat wrote:
I reloaded an old solution, a program called SNAC. I thought it no longer would work with the OS update but apparently that was just a coincidence. I re-installed SNAC and it works again. It does everything I wanted plus more.

Nice!

I remember losing a scanner years ago because the software for it didn't get updated, some one-touch-snap thing IIRC. Great to see you have it working again, that's gotta feel like a nice win.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:50 am 

Quote:
Nice!
I remember losing a scanner years ago because the software for it didn't get updated, some one-touch-snap thing IIRC. Great to see you have it working again, that's gotta feel like a nice win.

Hi Rich! You are right! It does feel like a win. It's almost become a game of sorts keeping this old scanner going as the Operating System gets updated. Instead of feeling excited by the possible new features of an OS update I now just hope it doesn't break something I often use. I think I bought this scanner in the late 90's. My use is pretty light so it's nice to keep it going.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:04 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work! :)

I wonder if VueScan works for it also?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:43 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Great work! :)

I wonder if VueScan works for it also?

Hi BD. Vuescan stopped working awhile back for me. I did download the newer trial version and it did not see my scanner via Twain. IIRC it stopped for me around 10.8.