XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:51 pm 

Over the past five years or so, I've created and updated numerous backups using Tri-Backup. But for the past year or two, while updating those backups, the contents of Tri-Backup's source and target windows will often suddenly disappear, throwing me into a state of panic. I don't care whether it's just a software glitch; it does NOT instill confidence when it gives the appearance that your files have gone bye-bye.

If I were to continue backing up using the same source and target directories but with Carbon Copy Cloner instead, will CCC recognize the update status of those backups, replacing only the changed files and copying the new ones, or will it completely ignore what Tri-Backup has done and start all over from scratch using its own protocols?

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:03 pm 

I don't use either of them I'm afraid but I know BD swears by Tri-Backup.

I think the guy behind it is very responsive to questions. Perhaps a quick mail would set your mind at ease. It might be a known cosmetic bug.

As for the question, I can't answer that but if I had to guess I'd say that if Tri-Backup is cloning the source to another disk, CCC should be able to update it with the newer files (providing no option like erase and backup has been activated). SuperDuper has that kind of option.

However, don't try anything until someone who uses CCC has chimed in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:44 pm 

CCC is flexible, but I actually have a use case where it fails miserably. You see, I have a primary data drive that gets incremental backups from multiple sources. Problem is, CCC in whole volume backup mode overwrites volume ownership permissions, so even though the backups are from the same account they get munged. Their stated workaround? Back up folders one at a time via the CCC UI. And it's literally ONE AT A TIME. So for me the only reliable way to back up using CCC is for OS cloning only, because it can't handle my use case, and the devs adamantly refuse to give users the option of not messing with volume ownership permissions when doing a full drive/volume incremental backup. Because, reasons (the reality is they can't be arsed and/or "play it our way or not at all" like so many game developers are doing to people these days *cough* Blizzard, Square Enix *cough*).

Such a simple damned feature to add and they flat out refuse because they consider it a fringe case that one might have multiple sources backing up to a single volume. Yay.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:42 am 

MikeHarrison wrote:
...will CCC recognize the update status of those backups, replacing only the changed files and copying the new ones, or will it completely ignore what Tri-Backup has done and start all over from scratch using its own protocols?

Hi Mike,
I'd guess CCC would ignore any other backup's regime, and just do its own thing, which would be a compete backup initially and thereafter just do incremental backups of only those files that have been changed. In other words, it would mirror the behaviour of Tri-Backup and SuperDuper and I doubt it would be aware of any other BU utility code, outside of itself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:42 pm 

roam wrote:
MikeHarrison wrote:
...will CCC recognize the update status of those backups, replacing only the changed files and copying the new ones, or will it completely ignore what Tri-Backup has done and start all over from scratch using its own protocols?

Hi Mike,
I'd guess CCC would ignore any other backup's regime, and just do its own thing, which would be a compete backup initially and thereafter just do incremental backups of only those files that have been changed. In other words, it would mirror the behaviour of Tri-Backup and SuperDuper and I doubt it would be aware of any other BU utility code, outside of itself.

CCC, like other backup programs, can check for file differences and do incremental backups relative to the must current backup just fine. That's a simple file differential check. CCC does have a "safety net" folder that contains older versions of the files for you to peruse before deleting them, where space permits. This option is on by default, but can be set by the advance user. For non-advanced users, the defaults should be left as is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:55 pm 

Thanks Squishy. The 'safety net' sound like a good feature too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:44 pm 

Thanks everyone. I think I'll run a test at some point to see whether CCC will pick up where Tri-Backup left off, or if it wants to start all over.

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:37 pm 

MikeHarrison wrote:
Thanks everyone. I think I'll run a test at some point to see whether CCC will pick up where Tri-Backup left off, or if it wants to start all over.

Unless you were backing up to an image, CCC or any backup program should pick up just fine if you're essentially just doing an incremental backup from what exists now. It'll just be a simple file differential check like backup programs usually do to see what needs to be backed up. CCC has the safety net option so you can check before you toss, and unless you have a use case like me where multiple sources are backed up to a single drive, it should be just fine for your needs. The user interface will take some getting used to as the CCC devs have always been decent on features, but rather utilitarian in UI design. I tend to think of them as ex-VCR engineers in that they put in great features, but never quite figured out how to make the UI the centerpiece of their work. :)