XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: File creation dates
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:53 am 

I create files and later send them to a client. When he receives (and unzips them), do the creation dates of those files reflect the date/time that I made them or the date/time that they "landed" on his computer?

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.4

Post subject: Re: File creation dates
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:04 pm 

It depends on the program he's using to unzip them with. Some programs update the modification date to the time they were unzipped, others leave them intact. If he's on OS X and is using the built-in compression widget... I'll have to check. I use The Unarchiver everywhere and in TU you can specify which method to use. TU takes the place of the system widget (but handles more formats).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:28 pm 

MikeHarrison wrote:
I create files and later send them to a client. When he receives (and unzips them), do the creation dates of those files reflect the date/time that I made them or the date/time that they "landed" on his computer?

Mindful of your shyness, still you could ask the recipient. Just note the date/time when you created them, and then compare with what the recipient reports back to you, if that is at all possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:31 pm 

You could just zip them, move the zip to a new folder, and unzip them without involving the client. Though it really depends on what's doing the unzipping and how it sets the timestamps. I quite like having things I just unzipped move to the top of my Downloads folder instead of being inserted further down.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:53 pm 

This was just out of curiosity; one of the many odd things that float through my brain.

But I tried MonkeyBoy's idea; the date/time stamp didn't change. And then I uploaded the zip file to my server and then downloaded it using a browser with the same result: no change.

Roam: I appreciate what you said... but it's not important enough... and the client will almost certainly wonder what planet I'm from if I were to ask! (I get enough of that from friends.) :roll:

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.4