XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:41 pm 

@et al:

I had my "local" computer shop R&R the battery on my 09 MBPro, since I heard it was a "factory" job . . . while I was there I asked the owner if it is possible to fix the power switch that broke on a slightly oldish Fantom 250 GB ext HD . . . and he suggested taking the HD that is inside and moving it into a new case. He pointed to a box covered with dust on a shelf, but he didn't say how much the case would be. He did say he wouldn't charge for the time to flip it over unless it "got complicated" . . . so he was obviously being kind.

Question to this forum is; is this job so ridiculously simple that I should try to do it myself? And, then, I would be shopping Google for "empty external HD cases" . . . and look for something that would offer some FW800 ports . . .such that it could be "bootable"??

The Fantom has I believe two old PPC style FW600 (the flat type vs square) ports and one, pretty slow USB2 port . . . not exactly sure what kind of screws or fasteners are used on the Fantom . . . . The computer guy isn't making it insurmountable to use his service, question is is it "plug n play" as far as the HD that is inside the case . . . would likely be some universal SATA type plug . . . or, best to crack it open and see how that goes?

I was thinking that the easy way wold be to R&R the switch . . . now this "new case" concept is in play. Based upon the fact that I didn't really over-use the ext HD beyond backing up a couple of computers once a month, I'm thinking that the "int" HD itself should probably be viable . . . .

TIA,

e..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:53 pm 

Actually the new switch is tricky because you have to remove the switch from the spot its occupying then find a switch of the same proportions and pinout and spacing to fit into the spot that the old switch occupied. When you're talking about something like an ethernet jack it's usually pretty easy, but switches... man it is no understatement that there are a billion different kind of switches in the world. I've also seen case switches that are literally hotglued into place so removing the switch then replacing it may not be simple.

The case idea is pretty solid but it's possible the bridge inside the case is configured strangely, so when you pop it into another case the drive will appear as gobbledigook. So long as you stop and click "ignore" when it asks to initialize the case, everything should be OK, you can just pop it back into the other case and everything should be OK. Obviously before starting this if you have access to the data, even if it's really hard to get access to the data, you should back it up before swapping it juuuuuust in case something bad happens.

As far as swapping the drive into the new case, if you can install a video card you should be able to open the case. Some cases aren't designed to be opened after the factory puts them together... these are typically plastic cases, which snap together and basically break when you take them apart. If you can get the case apart, at that point it should just be a SATA drive held in place with screws or anti-vibration rubber feet stuck in cups in the case, or a combination of the two. Remove the screws, feet, or screwfeet then follow the instructions in the case to install the drive and build the case.

I recently linked to a Macally case that's USB 2 & FW400. Unfortunately the only other Firewire cases I've found are at OWC. Between the lack of Firewire ports on new systems and Apples wholesale adoption of USB-C connectors it seems to have led case manufacturers to discontinue older cases, even if they were ones that included USB 3 ports.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:48 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
, you should back it up before swapping it juuuuuust in case something bad happens.
Remove the screws, feet, or screwfeet then follow the instructions in the case to install the drive and build the case.
I recently linked to a Macally case that's USB 2 & FW400. Unfortunately the only other Firewire cases I've found are at OWC. Between the lack of Firewire ports on new systems and Apples wholesale adoption of USB-C connectors it seems to have led case manufacturers to discontinue older cases, even if they were ones that included USB 3 ports.

@MB:

I'm a biiiggggg fan of screwfeet . . . always have been, always will be . . . in the olde "two birds" sense of technology.

And, thanks for the details . . . the infinite number of switches would indeed be daunting. And, just to show how far I've fallen behind the wave, haven't even heard of USB-C . . . but, the MPro has USB-2 & 3 ports, the 3 is significantly faster . . . .

And, yep, from memory it looks like the Fantom case is pressed or snapped together . . . it was "reasonable" as things have been pretty "tight" . . . should have gone for something more quality . . . but, since it was the "back-up" for a couple of computers, and there was no warning of impending doom . . . "accessing" it and trying to back it up???? Is that possible to do if there is no power to the drive??

Also from what you are saying, it might in fact be better to use the computer shop, if they have an old case sitting around, it might be exactly from the time zone I would want . . . firewire, etc . . . ??? I'll have to look around and see what shows up; perhaps this might be something that eBay would suffice to provide????

e..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:13 am 

The Macally case I mentioned was USB 2 and FW400 so you could match their specs, though I don't know about the price vs. your shop. If you want FW800 and USB 3 I think OWC is your best bet. OWC sells their cases without drives in them as well as with drives in them (obviously), so you could get the exact newer-ish case you want from them if you want to pay a little more. I'm usually leery of eBay for new parts, I only use them for used parts, because there's a ridiculous number of counterfeits for sale. When its used, usually you avoid the counterfeits.

To be honest, so long as you back up the data first you could just go into disk utility once its in the new case, repartition the disk so any goofiness is gone, then copy the data back to it. I've bought drives from Fantom before, though mine were all in metal cases so they're screwed together.

If you don't mind USB 3.0 only cases there are a ton of inexpensive easy to put together cases out there. Its when you get into Firewire or Thunderbolt that the options get limited and the prices start going up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:27 pm 

Thanks again for the insights . . . I usually opt for what makes the prices go up . . . like FW . . . . I was even wondering whether Fantom would sell cases to replace their old ones?? :classic-eek:

e..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:11 pm 

Unless Fantom has branched out into the bare case market, unlikely. I would bet the most they'll do is replace the drive if its under warranty.

I've heard of getting a (small) discount on a new drive if you contact the manufacturer, but sometimes the discount isn't really a discount - like if it's a percentage off retail prices and you can buy it through resellers for less.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:21 pm 

Cool. No surprises . . . might check it . . . but I bought it via a reseller who was putting it on sale . . . . Well passed its warranty.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:42 pm 

Spent a few minutes trying to find options for the Fantom . . . sent Fantom a contact email to see if they offer cases for their items. Then looking through Macally site shows three option for "hard drive cases" including this one, but it shows that it is for "IDE" drives.

The data I have on the drive includes an old 10.3 OSX backup for my iBook that had a few extra apps; either the 10.5 installer or 10.5 system that was shared to me by someone on this list, possibly what I have in the OSX partition of the PowerMac . . .; and a backup of what I believe is the 10.6 partition of my MBPro.

So, the data is "older" . . . not entirely mission critical . . . http://us.macally.com/products/PHR-250CC but this "USB2/FW400" case lists for $59 . . . I think I paid $75 for the Fantom units 5-7 years ago . . . this deal doesn't seem like "a steal of a deal" . . . . I see that the Fantom case has two 0 or 00 phillips screws on the back vert edge, which I probably could get them off to check to see what type of connector the HD is using??? Obviously if it is "SATA" then this case won't do . . . but, searching Google for "250GB ext HD case" didn't seem to show any "cases" . . . just "external HDs" . . . .

Next step will be to see what my local guy wants for his case . . . ??

e..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:54 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/3alox922fi80.html

USB2 only…

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ide-to-usb

http://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=291646295780 ... lpid=82,82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:41 am 

BDAqua wrote:
http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/3alox922fi80.html

USB2 only…

http://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=291646295780 ... lpid=82,82

@BD:

Thanks for the links . . . the cooldrive looks a little pricey for a case??? But, the links to the cables . . . is that a way to connect the present ext HD directly, after pulling it out of the case, to a computer to access the data . . . w/o needing a powered case to mount it? I.E., One of those numerous cables could be used to connect the extracted HD to a running computer?

Or, nope, those are to connect a powered external HD to various ports??

Thinking about it, I possibly have an HD tray available in either my olde PowerMac, or the newer MPro . . . that if I could extract the HD from the Fantom drive, could be "installed" and/or utilized as a Back-up disk??? It would just depend upon whether the Fantom drive is IDE or SATA? I think the Powermac is IDE, and the MB from '12 would offer SATA plugs near the several HD slots???

e..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yes, it's a way to attach bare drives to access the data, both IDE & SATA drives work, it supp;ors power to the drive also…

USB2 only…

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:59 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Yes, it's a way to attach bare drives to access the data, both IDE & SATA drives work, it supp;ors power to the drive also…

USB2 only…

Thanks for that link . . . it'll take awhile to read through them all and figure out which of them might be relevant.

e..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:36 pm 

You need to take the old drive apart to see what type of connector the drive used.

r

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:21 am 

rccharles wrote:
You need to take the old drive apart to see what type of connector the drive used.

r

Well said. Doesn't seem too daunting to at least try to open the case . . . .

Are you "related" to the approx profile who used to, or perhaps still does, offer comments on the Apple Discussion Group?

e..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:44 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thats him! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:34 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Thats him! :)

There are apparently a number of "emigres" . . . Kappy also told me he left that forum due to uncivil behavior from a fellow I found historically to be providing unsound data . . . yet embraced by the apple team???? Haven't found that too many of [my] posts were actually responded to there lately . . . let alone helpful . . . . Too bad, it used to be great.

e..

Last edited by este.el.paz on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:08 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yep, we know whom you speak of. ;)