XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:05 pm 

Visit this page.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7443

went to :
http://ww25.gazetteherald.com/

http://ww25.gazetteherald.com/caf/?ses= ... vevZwLvRxw

clicking on the first link get a whole page of virus warning. :upset:

Attachments:
File comment: Panic warning. Not so convincing liar.
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 6.09.43 PM.png [141.58 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
File comment: bogus link
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 6.08.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 6.08.11 PM.png [ 24.66 KiB | Viewed 680 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:15 pm 

What is the deal with Firefox. Red close window disappeared. Isn't this a bug on Firefox 47.0.1 part on 10.10.5? I guess you will time me that I have to run 49.0.1. :fishsmack:

Could not x out of tab. Another bug?

Had to invoke force quit to purge Firefox.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

1st Gazette link now says this site for sale to me, 2nd one says…

This webpage was generated by the domain owner using Sedo Domain Parking. Disclaimer: Sedo maintains no relationship with third party advertisers. Reference to any specific service or trade mark is not controlled by Sedo nor does it constitute or imply its association, endorsement or recommendation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:03 pm 

Looks like someone hacked the site and changed it to troll for dollars. :roll:

This happened to me before on another site. I'm surprised that Firefox can be "customized" to hide the red close button.

Should file a bug with firefox and see what excuses they generate.

R

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:08 pm 

Quote:
Should file a bug with firefox and see what excuses they generate.
What does site getting hacked have to do with Firefox? Why/how should FF have prevented the locking behavior you experienced? This is a very common scam.
Quote:
I'm surprised that Firefox can be "customized" to hide the red close button.

As far as I know, usually done by way of a JavaScript loop. Easier to get out of than with Safari, in fact. Just quit or force quit. If you keep getting these, might be coming from some adware infection. Run https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:26 pm 

This is probably an individual or group who registered a bunch of domains for exploit purposes, and this just happened to be his current domain for exploits when you visited it. They rotate exploits through domains constantly to avoid their sites getting red-flagged for containing an exploit, plus it hampers security researchers from looking at what the individual or group is trying to exploit. In weeks or months they may very well rotate the exploits back to this site.

I feel sorry for anyone who tries to buy the domain from them, they're in for one hell of a lot of identity theft.

This isn't a bug in Firefox, it's called going to an exploit site. You go to those places, you get bit, you have to quit the browser to get out. Happens in every browser on the planet on virtually every OS on the planet. These guys are basically scripting exploit after exploit after exploit after exploit trying to find a vulnerability in your system. If you're particularly obstinate about quitting the browser, they may just find one. Years ago you had to shut your system off because they so tied up the system that you couldn't quit the app because there wasn't enough CPU time left for the OS to interject itself, but that mostly went by the wayside when Mac OS and Windows 9x were finally retired.

The person to blame isn't the browser maker, it's the individual or group attacking you. Just because you can't easily find them doesn't mean you should instead shoot the messenger.

Edit: Oh, wait a second, you were using an outdated browser? Guess what. You just learned one reason why you don't run browsers with known exploits. I wish you luck getting whatever they put into your system out.