XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Grungy mouse interior
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:47 am 

I'll begin with a short vent: It annoys the crap outta me that manufacturers of many electronic goods seal their products tighter than Fort Knox. It's impossible to open them without destroying them. I totally get that, in some cases, there may be "no user-serviceable parts inside," but...

My Apple ProMouse (which works perfectly well for my needs) has collected a bit of grunge inside, around those two "things" (whatever they are); one on each side of the mouse, and there's no way I can see to clean it out. Of course, this wouldn't be an issue if the mouse were not clear, making the grunge visible.

I Googled the topic, but it seems this model mouse is sonically welded and cannot be opened without destroying it. Grrrrr!!!! :nothappy:

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:22 am 
Benevolent Dictator

And… weren't they like $69 ? :bonk:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:50 am 

Whenever I go to a garage sale I keep my eye open for wired mice. I had a Logitech model for 25c that kept going for about 4 years. I had to disassemble it once or twice to clean cat hair off the scroll wheel gears but otherwise it kept going until one of the clickers started misbehaving.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:08 am 

BDAqua wrote:
And… weren't they like $69 ? :bonk:

This Pro Mouse came with my G4 MDD. I'm now using it with the Mac mini.

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:47 am 

I've never taken one of those apart before. Sometimes you can use a spudger to pry things apart without breaking them, but that only helps for the things that are put together in such a way that you can do that.

I know it's impossible to disassemble a magic mouse (their current bluetooth mouse+touchpad thing) without cracking it apart, because the damn thing is glued together. They may have done the same with your mouse. I recall disassembling a mighty mouse once and getting it back together, but they're certainly different mice.

I do prefer generic USB mice. Right now I prefer the Kensington "full size" pro mouse, it has screws holding it together. That model generally keeps working for me so long the rubberized pads wear out. And it's a larger mouse so it fits my hand comfortably, though they make a range of sizes in that same style.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:08 pm 
Master

If you're not worried about killing it, maybe vigorously agitate it in warm rubbing 70% isopropyl alcohol for a couple minutes, then do it again in pure isopropyl alcohol (to wash out any lingering water), then dry it thoroughly with a hair dryer being careful not to melt it?

- Anonymous