XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:40 am 

Came home and it was still restoring. Ended up taking 24 hours to restore 1TB of data, which is worrying because both the source and destination are internal drives (so it should go pretty quick). The cables are still all firmly plugged in - I forgot the old board had the loose cable issue, not the new one (well, at least not with the cables it shipped with - they're extra thin and lock in place).

After restoring and rebooting it passed a chkdsk without errors so I'm pretty sure its OK. I think I either need to build new recovery media or switch to an older BIOS version... the new ones are all about improving SSD performance but only one of my drives is an SSD.

It detected all the new hardware as expected. dnetc benchmark (or was that bench?) found 3 to be the fastest but last time it said that too even though 2, under actual use, was faster. So far its doing about 3,100Mkeys/s. I'll leave it running this way for a while then try it under 2 and see if its better or worse.

Interesting tidbit. I tried to set the fans to run at 100%, but they refuse to turn on until the temperature reaches 60 degrees. Then the card drops down to 40 degrees in less than 30 seconds, at which point the fans shut off, and it starts all over again. I re-implemented the default settings and its running at 77-79 degrees without the bouncy fan. Still, its pretty damn nice that the cooling system on this thing is that overwhelmingly effective. I guess 100% mode is for after the heatsink gets so clogged with dust that its the only way to cool the thing.

Oh, and this card juuuuuuust barely fits in my R4 case. It's about a quarter to half an inch longer than my 280. No scraping needed, but if it was much longer I'd have to take out half my HD bays. Damn I love this case. Oh. Hmm. I'll have to see if the 280 can fit in my old PC's case... I bought something cheap for it because the 7770 is a tiny little thing. It sure won't fit into one of the OEM systems at work. Well, I suppose I could always buy an R5... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:43 am 

Built new recovery media with all my SATA drivers injected as well as some USB 3.0 drivers (finally I can have my mouse plugged in where it normally is instead of shuffling it to a front port!) and it seems better. Although I didn't bother to do a restore, I ran a backup and it moved along at a reasonably good clip.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:17 am 

are you running dnetc on windows? you can try the msi afterburner program to get the fans to go 100% https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner. 3100Mkeys should be good for at least 60000 blocks/day

your build sounds like a lot of work but well worth it! thanks for sharing the build details!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:43 pm 

Yeah, I'm just using what's built into the AMD drivers. The 480 did light up a whole new overclocking panel I've never seen in them before, with temperature-based fan curves and other similar features related to GPU performance.

I have noticed that I can leave dnetc running in the background and play a game in the foreground with little in terms of penalty, although the dnetc rate drops quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:42 pm 

Looks like the card ships in "silent" mode by default because fans make people cry now. I need to shut down a flip a switch to get it into normal mode.

Edit: Taking it out of "silent turbo mode" hasn't changed the 0rpm fan thing, once it hits 40 degrees the fan still shuts off. It did, however, bump the key rate up to 3,400Mkeys/s.

Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo... Did I say 3400Mkeys/s? Because after 5 hours of crunching it did 3600Mkeys/s. Also, I ended up pulling the fans off the old card so I could use the part numbers to find new ones on eBay. Slow boat from China is under way. After dusting I took a toothbrush to the heatsink to clear off residual gunk, then tried to take the seized fan apart to lubricate its bearings, but the spindle is crazy strong (they're the opposite of most fans, whose bearings are accessible under a sticker, these are only accessible after pulling the fan apart). So I took the stupid route and sprayed WD40 into the general area and moved it over and over until it spun freely. Once the oil drained off I reassembled the thing and left it for another day. I'll probably test fit it to see if I need a new case to use it, then wait for the real fans to show up... trying to wrench that fan apart didn't do it any favors, and I'm none too keen to find out the resistance value of WD40.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:32 pm 

It fit with room to spare. I could probably fit the new card in there if I had to. Unfortunately I need to swap PSUs around so I can get both 8-pin and 6-pin leads, which I won't be able to do until next Monday.

I'll be able to get the 7770 cranking 24/7 tomorrow though. Baby steps... baby steps...

Also, it looks like we were in the #1 spot yesterday, and are in the #2 spot today.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:47 pm 

we appreciate the hard work monkey boy! who would've thought our little rc5 team would be a major player in 2016

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:13 pm 

The little 7770 that could is crunching away. As an added bonus its in the main server room so its being kept cool (so long as the building has power). Its "only" going to crank out 700Mkeys/s but it should run pretty close to 24/7 so they'll pile up quick.

I think I have a fan problem. I spent about $90 on various forms of fans this week. Though, to be fair, the only other thing I found that would have worked for the GPU was an Artic Cooler monstrosity, and that thing was over $90 by itself. I still occasionally get nightmares relating to the last AC installation.

$40-ish of the $90 was an order of various size case fans, so you've got an idea of just how crazy the price was for the replacement GPU fans. Thought about doing a Leo and just zip-tying some fans over the sink... I'll do that next time, assuming there is a next time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:27 am 

Looks like stats is down. I just got my 280 online yesterday too.

Hope its not too big of a headache for those guys.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:29 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Looks like stats is down. I just got my 280 online yesterday too.

Hope its not too big of a headache for those guys.

oh man! bad timing. i don't see any updates on their blog http://blogs.distributed.net/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:27 pm 

Quote:
Stats are unavailable

Sorry, but stats are down at the moment for a hardware move.
Hopefully that's not just leftover from their hardware move a month ago.

I put the 280 in automatic fan mode, which normally makes it run too hot for my liking, but I couldn't get it to behave at fixed RPMs. Ramping the fans up and down seems to be more agreeable to the poor thing for now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:26 pm 

stats are back! MB you did 124K blocks!!! very nice 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:51 pm 

As an added bonus, the 125W 6 core CPU makes for an inefficient spaceheater.

Edit: Wow, did 129K today. Unfortunately I managed to freeze the 280 system. I think it didn't appreciate me tapping the power button while reinstalling the front panel. But holy cow does that GPU get hot with default fan settings...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:43 pm 

We were in the #1 for the day most of last week. On the 16th I managed to break 140,000 blocks.

My rate nosedived this weekend when I started using the 480 though. Most of the time I can leave dnetc running in the background without noticing frame drops, though I can't say the same about dnetc's keyrate.

I put the 280's case over on it's side and tucked a non-vibrating 140mm ran from my main system leaning against the video card (the other 140mm fan I pulled wobbles). Oddly enough after the 280 gets hot enough for long enough the seized fan starts spinning. The temp peaks and stays there and a couple hours later the fan starts spinning, so I don't know how else to explain it.

Still hoping China didn't take my eBay auction and run for the replacement 280 fans. Apparently I can expect it to show up any time between about two weeks ago and the end of January. :badteeth:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:38 am 

i'm stoked you're having some fun with the whole process and getting some big numbers! it feels nice beating xussr too for all of those days lol

gus w has been cranking quite a bit lately too! at this rate the whole project will be over in 50K days rather than 70K ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:28 pm 

I'm not kidding about the spaceheater effects... I don't know WTF is wrong but ever since they replaced the boilers in our building this fall the hot water's been noticeably colder than before and the heat has been almost nonexistant over the past week (temps have been dipping into the teens to single digits). If it wasn't for dnetc putting out heat I'd be wearing parkas and mittens indoors. Its hard to type wearing mittens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:49 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
If it wasn't for dnetc putting out heat I'd be wearing parkas and mittens indoors. Its hard to type wearing mittens.

Ever since the rain killed my Mac Pro I've missed the heat in my bedroom, so cold some nights I sleep with 2 coats on in a sleeping bag under covers, below freezing in there some nights. :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:38 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
If it wasn't for dnetc putting out heat I'd be wearing parkas and mittens indoors. Its hard to type wearing mittens.

Ever since the rain killed my Mac Pro I've missed the heat in my bedroom, so cold some nights I sleep with 2 coats on in a sleeping bag under covers, below freezing in there some nights. :(

It's hard to be strong when one's a** is freezing off . . . but, be strong and carry on til the good times return . . . . Probably cheaper to buy an electric space heater of some type at the local hardware store than it is to buy another Mac Pro??? Electric blankets aren't good for your "aura" . . . but, also another choice that might be found for cheap??? Carry on homes.

e.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:04 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks eep. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:47 pm 

I have a motley assortment of comforters and blankets and thermal blankets and god knows what else. After I layer 3 or 4 of them on I can sleep through the night without waking up freezing.

My shipment from Ghyna arrived, so I have the fans. They look new and pretty. Fingers crossed they work when I get home.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:57 pm 

Attachment:
It39s-pronounced-Gina--meme-63808.jpg
It39s-pronounced-Gina--meme-63808.jpg [ 33.58 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:30 am 

I have an Xserve that was found in a box unused. It heats the room well, DP 2.3 G5. Not very quiet though! Old dnet is not very fast.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:27 am 

those old xserves are a monument to PPC apple hardware design! glad it's getting used again! :g5:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:09 pm 

mc68k wrote:
those old xserves are a monument to PPC apple hardware design! glad it's getting used again! :g5:

Yes, it is a beauty. Installing tiger server. 150 Mbps SATA drives in unique sleds. This must be one of the last logic boards as it supports 2G DIMMS! Now where could I find those to add 16 GB !?

DDR
PC3200 400MHz
184-pin
ECC Unbuffered

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:41 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

???

http://www.serversupply.com/products/pa ... fgodYFcGVA

http://www.memoryamerica.com/d25672r400 ... fgodn5IExQ

Gulp...

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-dd ... 25233755:s

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next