XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:41 pm 

mc68k wrote:
i used to do folding@home, i thought they had a good mission

That's an important insight . . . quality of the mission for the electrons burned, etc . . . not just "smoke em if you got em" . . .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah did folding@home & seri for a long time, we have teams gor them too, I might even be the captain of those teams!?

Even found a way to run 2 instances on DP G4s & 4 instances on Quad G5. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:00 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Yeah did folding@home & seri for a long time, we have teams gor them too, I might even be the captain of those teams!?

Even found a way to run 2 instances on DP G4s & 4 instances on Quad G5. :)

Cool, I'm looking at milkyway@home as "interesting" . . . it is "Gridcoin" that got me looking at this, but, what are the teams that you are in charge of?? I'm still going for the "towel guy" role . . . as my "contribution" for errant stats/packet running . . . .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:18 pm 

The OGR project(s) on distributed.net is actually pretty worthwhile too, with uses in all kinds of otherwise unconnected fields.

For a time I was doing seti@home but eventually I decided I needed to put my PC at home to sleep/shutdown to save on the electric bill.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:12 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
The OGR project(s) on distributed.net is actually pretty worthwhile too, with uses in all kinds of otherwise unconnected fields.

For a time I was doing seti@home but eventually I decided I needed to put my PC at home to sleep/shutdown to save on the electric bill.

Yep; that is the concern . . . thanks for the posts . . . I still have been running some dnetc packets every once in awhile . . . handing out towels . . . .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:09 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

MonkeyBoy wrote:

Thanks, took note of that & let my eMac do OGR @ 25 Mnodes/s, then set my Mac Pro doing 24 instances of OGR @ 570 Mnodes/s! ( The Mac Pro is still doing dnetcL at the same time with no degradation in speed, in fact I've never seen so many units close to 3,700 Mkeus/s).

http://stats.distributed.net/participan ... &id=406752

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:47 pm 

I just picked up an RX 480 8GB card for $230 with a $15 rebate from NewEgg (So $215 after the rebate arrives). Wish me luck.

Now I have to figure out where to put the R9 280.

Hopefully I can light up the free Civ VI on Steam.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:29 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I just picked up an RX 480 8GB card for $230 with a $15 rebate from NewEgg (So $215 after the rebate arrives). Wish me luck.
Now I have to figure out where to put the R9 280.
Hopefully I can light up the free Civ VI on Steam.

@MB:

Thanks for sharing that info . . . deal, and source . . . .

Changing the topic back to problems of RC5-72 related -- so far on dnetc in my MP it seems to be only using the cpu . . . which I now think I'm "unhappy" with dnetc, like BD recently reported, for the first time I ran the script for several hours until it kicked out "192" stats . . . then checking a day or so later it showed "13" stats . . . ??? Don't know if I missed the posting of the other 179 stats . . . lost track of my place as Towel Guy . . . but possibly they "lost my stats"??? [end rant, I got over it.] [sorta] :coffee:

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:08 pm 

Technically the 480 is RC5 related, since I use the OpenCL client on Windows with my 280. I don't run it often, but now that it's getting colder I'm running it more often. Plus I just got an unexpected raise today, hooray, so I should be able to afford to run it a little more often.

The 480 should drastically raise my key rate with an equivalent, even lower power draw. Thankfully I got one of the few cards that isn't a goddamn lightshow, though the one that has full-color LEDs tempted me for a minute... pick a color, any color, and it'll be that color. Though I suspect I'd have to use vendor-specific drivers instead of generic ones to get the lightshow. But seeing as my case is opaque except for the occasional fan, any fan colors are going to be wasted.

Anyway, there are multiple dnetc clients. One is CPU based. Others are GPU based. If you run the CPU client you won't offload anything to the GPU. The problem is that on OS X GPU support is tied not just to the GPU in use, but also to the version of OS X you're running... too old of a GPU, it doesn't support OpenCL, or an older version of OpenCL than dnetc supports, etc. - and if its too new there aren't even OS X drivers for it at all.

On my windows box I use the OpenCL dnetc client because it supports my 280. I could alternatively use the Stream dnetc client if I could remember how to get Stream working. If you have an Nvidia GPU you can use the CUDA client, though temper your expectations - in my experience they don't run dnetc particularly well. Could just be the fault of the CUDA dnetc client.

As far as key rates go, GPUs can be substantially faster than CPUs at crunching dnetc. And dnetc is rife with people trying to cheat, so a lot of blocks get invalidated. I don't want to shame an entire country, but a number of teams from one particular country were caught flat-footed submitting fake blocks several years ago. Ever since then its been harder to get blocks accepted. They tend to wander in over time rather than drop all at once.

Edit: Holy cow! It's gonna get here Tuesday. (happy dance)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:12 am 

@MB:

Thanks again for the details . . . and yep, always good times to get new stuff . . . .

And, right, I'm in OSX, mostly 10.9 these days, and couldn't get OpenCL to install . . . no worries . . . work is down and can't afford to just run the unit . . . for intangibles like "stats" . . . just intangible stuff like getting "likes" on FB . . . or posting to forums . . . you know, actual stuff . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:01 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Technically the 480 is RC5 related, since I use the OpenCL client on Windows with my 280. I don't run it often, but now that it's getting colder I'm running it more often. Plus I just got an unexpected raise today, hooray, so I should be able to afford to run it a little more often.

The 480 should drastically raise my key rate with an equivalent, even lower power draw. Thankfully I got one of the few cards that isn't a goddamn lightshow, though the one that has full-color LEDs tempted me for a minute... pick a color, any color, and it'll be that color. Though I suspect I'd have to use vendor-specific drivers instead of generic ones to get the lightshow. But seeing as my case is opaque except for the occasional fan, any fan colors are going to be wasted.

Anyway, there are multiple dnetc clients. One is CPU based. Others are GPU based. If you run the CPU client you won't offload anything to the GPU. The problem is that on OS X GPU support is tied not just to the GPU in use, but also to the version of OS X you're running... too old of a GPU, it doesn't support OpenCL, or an older version of OpenCL than dnetc supports, etc. - and if its too new there aren't even OS X drivers for it at all.

On my windows box I use the OpenCL dnetc client because it supports my 280. I could alternatively use the Stream dnetc client if I could remember how to get Stream working. If you have an Nvidia GPU you can use the CUDA client, though temper your expectations - in my experience they don't run dnetc particularly well. Could just be the fault of the CUDA dnetc client.

As far as key rates go, GPUs can be substantially faster than CPUs at crunching dnetc. And dnetc is rife with people trying to cheat, so a lot of blocks get invalidated. I don't want to shame an entire country, but a number of teams from one particular country were caught flat-footed submitting fake blocks several years ago. Ever since then its been harder to get blocks accepted. They tend to wander in over time rather than drop all at once.

Edit: Holy cow! It's gonna get here Tuesday. (happy dance)

Great to hear this! I got a deal on an RX 470 XFX. We shall see if I can get it going. It may not heat the house like the r9 290Xs do though?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:42 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Good luck! Let us know how many keys it cranks out :!: :!: :welcome:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:34 pm 

It showed up today! :o

Thanks to a doctors appointment I may actually have enough time to install the 480 before I collapse tonight. I did install the most recent drivers just a few days ago so hopefully it should drop in w/o a fuss.

I thought about the 480 4GB and the 470 but after a 6950 and R9 280 (AKA 7950) I was hoping for a "full" card instead of hoping my detuned card could be lit up, since I've had poor results before. I'm happy I managed to get it for close to $200 this time. Free shipping to boot, so it really was $230 out the door, now to figure out what I need to do to claw that $15 back.

$215 for essentially a non-reference (redesigned) card that lacks the issues of the launch cards and cheaper than them to boot is what pushed me over.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:09 pm 

@MB:

Enjoy your new toy. For the purposes of self education I searched the Newegg site with terms
Quote:
RX 480 8GB
and found all kinds of cards showing up from several different manufacturers???

It's not an immediate need, I would suppose that moving from 8 GB of RAM to something more, would be my next step to boosting the prowess of my '12 MPro Quad-core. But, if eventually I wanted to try to run GPU OpenCL dnetc . . . my Radeon stock card is not "connecting" for anything other than cpu . . . but trying to get some kind of handle on what's a good choice for video cards is only muddled by the extensive choices using those search terms.

Now that you have the part, can you name the specific item??? :classic-eek:
e..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:25 pm 

Sorry, they've were running sales all last week on pretty much all the RX 400 parts, from 460s up to 480s. If you search for video cards, desktop graphics cards, limit yourself to just RX 400 cards, then sort by price... you should see a lot of cards on sale.

My particular card is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131697

Though there are 4GB 480s in the $170 range, the 8GB cards all start at $230. There's an XFX that's $210 after rebate but I hope the longer heatsink and extra fan will help dissipate heat.

To my knowledge none of them currently work in OS X because there's no driver support for them, though they should run under Windows using Boot Camp. The new MBPs using 400 series chips may have altered the OS X landscape a little, although you'll probably have to wait for 10.12.2 or 10.12.3 for those drivers to trickle down to all systems. New hardware typically include purpose built OS X builds that include support for the hardware that isn't present in older builds, but going forward new drivers get wrapped in.

Edit: Oh wow. I just scrolled all the way to the bottom and there's some third party trying to sell what appears to be a launch 480 for $600. I... I feel sorry for that guy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:35 pm 

@MB:

Thanks for the link . . . and got it . . . no working with OSX . . . nothing too surprising there. I do have Sierra installed in one partition, but mostly using 10.9. I just wanted to learn a tad more about video card options.

e..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:55 pm 

You have a pretty diverse range of card options, especially for Nvidia cards. Unlike AMD, Nvidia releases the drivers directly, so you can use supported cards with any version of the OS that their drivers support.

With AMD you're mostly limited to older cards. I haven't stuck my head in there recently. I usually get a feel for what cards work vs. not work from Hackintosh forums, since those guys tend to be more "with it" than other groups.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:29 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
You have a pretty diverse range of card options, especially for Nvidia cards. Unlike AMD, Nvidia releases the drivers directly, so you can use supported cards with any version of the OS that their drivers support.

With AMD you're mostly limited to older cards. I haven't stuck my head in there recently. I usually get a feel for what cards work vs. not work from Hackintosh forums, since those guys tend to be more "with it" than other groups.

@MB:

Thanks again. Yeah, the Nvidia cards also seem a little better when running linux on Mac. This machine has radeon card. But, thanks for the reminder on Hackintosh forum . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:49 pm 

Well my 9:30 appointment ended up running 2.5 hours late. So no time to install it tonight I'm afraid. The card was sitting in sub-freezing temps for over 3 hours, I like to give them a little time to warm up before shoving them into the nuclear inferno that is RC5.

On the plus side I have a nice CD-ROM containing MRI data for my back. Why I have a CD-ROM I can't say. I can't help but imagine howsomeone with a recent MacBook Pro would feel. "What? A disc? They still use these? Can't you just airdrop it? Apple said very explicitly that I will never need to read one of these ever again. Can't I just buy it on iTunes somehow? I am the future, dammit!"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:29 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Well my 9:30 appointment ended up running 2.5 hours late. So no time to install it tonight I'm afraid. The card was sitting in sub-freezing temps for over 3 hours, I like to give them a little time to warm up before shoving them into the nuclear inferno that is RC5.

On the plus side I have a nice CD-ROM containing MRI data for my back. Why I have a CD-ROM I can't say. I can't help but imagine howsomeone with a recent MacBook Pro would feel. "What? A disc? They still use these? Can't you just airdrop it? Apple said very explicitly that I will never need to read one of these ever again. Can't I just buy it on iTunes somehow? I am the future, dammit!"

@MB:

Delay of pleasure is one of Freud's measures of "adulthood" . . . or something painful like that. :whip:

If you have linux you can use one of the free utilities to transfer the data from the CD . . . to . . . futuristic (for now) USB flash drive!!

e..

PS: I guess windows must offer something to do that, but for a fee??? OSX has DU, but a tad "complicated" to get data over to USB?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:37 am 

stats appear to be back up and current

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:58 pm 

CD-ROM... CD-R... whats the difference. I was awake for more than 24 hours yesterday, that appointment was just the icing on the cake.

When I showed up there were three people waiting and then a fourth showed up. I would have complained more but an elderly woman and her daughter, who was substantially older than me, was complaining more than enough for everyone. Ultimately though I'm not much of a complainer, in those situations complaining doesn't make the testing run any faster. Apparently someone earlier had large areas being MRI'd so their scans took longer, plus they kept moving which means you have to start scanning all over again.

I was out of the scanner in about 25 minutes, so either I didn't move much or they didn't have to scan as much.

I saw the stats machine was shut down due to the building HVAC being serviced/replaced. Gotta happen eventually, though I suppose that's why the big boys run multiple data centers so one going down isn't critical.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:31 pm 

Long story short, apparently the new card only displays video if I connect my display using an HDMI to HDMI cable, not if I use my DVI to HDMI cable. For all I can tell the DVI port is dead until the system finishes booting and the drivers load. Or maybe the DVI port is just dead.

Because I'm no dummy I ran a backup before installing the card, which is good because the boot drive got a bit corrupt during all my hard powering off trying to figure out whether it was an installation issue. After running chkdsk the system still boots but since I have a backup I'm not going to risk it. 41% on the restore process...

I discovered one of the fans on my 280 had died, so now I have to figure out how to replace it before I install it anywhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:40 am 

^ sounds like some "fun" projects for the thxgiving break! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:31 pm 

I left it restoring data from my backup before going to sleep last night and when I awoke it still wasn't done... not entirely surprising since I went to sleep late (wonder why :D ), but it was restoring pretty slowly. In thinking about it off and on I think I probably bumped one of the SATA cables when pulling out the 6 pin power... or maybe when I pulled the far side of the case off to tie up the 6 pin power and dust the heck out of it. So maybe I'll be re-running the restore overnight if it's still not finished when I get home, or if there's problems.

I think my project this weekend is going to be taking a can of compressed gas home and finally pulling the G5 apart. I alternate between cans when dusting so the spray is stays strong, and one of my cans was down to the last dregs yesterday. The fun part about buying stuff with your own money for your workplace is that you can pilfer those supplies whenever you want. The downside is you have to spend your own money on stuff they really should be buying... but meh, its not like I need 12 cans of compressed air lying around at home.

When I moved into my apartment I put my PC on a little glass shelf from Monoprice... boy does it make sliding the thing out easier. Its resting on carpet, and the R4 case sucks in air from the bottom, which is just not a good combination. That its now easy to slide around it just a bonus. Plus since its glass there's no static build-up from sliding it around, at least not in the case... might not want to touch those legs then a motherboard without first grounding yourself...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next