XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:44 pm 

Critical: Flash, Reader, Office.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/10/adob ... more-32591

Quote:
Update, 4:31 p.m. ET: In case you needed another reason to remove or hobble Flash, Adobe just released an advisory warning that attackers are exploiting an unpatched vulnerability in this latest version of Flash player. Adobe said it expects to issue another fix for Flash to fix the flaw during the week of Oct. 19.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:23 pm 

Flash is the new Java which was the new Acrobat. Software that's unnecessary for 90% of the things its used for, which is why its still installed on 90% of the systems in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:54 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Anyone want to start a Lottery on when the Millionth Flash Security update will be?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:02 pm 
Master

The days of Flash are numbered. I give it about one more year before it's officially EOL'd.

I've been around the block a few times. Flash has been a security nightmare for nine or ten years.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:46 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Flash is the new Java which was the new Acrobat. Software that's unnecessary for 90% of the things its used for, which is why its still installed on 90% of the systems in the world.

So - why is it more and more "necessary" on some websites?

I visited eBay for the first time in ages, and there it was.
Some hotels in Japan, which we've tried to research, can only be viewed if we turn on Flash, which I have disabled on 2 computers and never even installed on the "new" MBP.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:48 am 

I disabled flash, then I saw this - disabling is not enough?
http://bgr.com/2015/10/15/adobe-flash-p ... y-warning/

From which I found this with patches - (but I have disabled it)
It makes sense to update for the time being and ultimately uninstall I'm thinking. We never use it - even when we have to, we don't:

http://bgr.com/2015/10/16/adobe-flash-p ... -download/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:58 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks for the tip/link Mrs H! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:59 am 

Looks like the 19.0.0.226 is the fix for this. Was noted by Krebs to expect another update next week, but looks like they moved it up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:08 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks W! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:17 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Thanks for the tip/link Mrs H! :)

You are welcome!

I love it on those very few occasions when I can actually offer some help here!

Now - a question. The article says update flash in all your browsers.

I only use Firefox but I do have Safari in Snow on the iMac and Mr H's MBP and also a current version of Saf runs on the newtous MBP.
Where/how do I find Flash in order to update it? (I'm pretty sure I have plug-ins disabled there, but I can't remember how to find it - it's been so long since I've used Safari.
(On the "new" MBP I don't even have Flash installed, but I am curious where/how to find where it would be on the current version of Saf - more important is where the heck is it on the older version of Saf on Snow?)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:32 pm 

Flash gets installed in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins. Safari should pick it up from there as well. Chrome updates to its own Flash version, but, if it's late in doing that, which it sometimes is, there is an option in settings>plugins (I think that's the location--don't want to check right now) to use the installed version in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:42 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
So - why is it more and more "necessary" on some websites?

Because some website designers don't understand HTML well enough, or are forced by their superiors not to implement everything in a normal website. Instead they fall back on crutches like Flash, Java, & Acrobat to implement the site.

Essentially they're shortcuts that have existed for some time, so many people know how to take the shortcuts.

With the rise of smartphones & tablets, which don't implement Flash, Java, Silverlight, Acrobat, etc., etc. they've had to change over to pure HTML in order to reach that increasingly large pool of users.

NPAPI (Netscape Plugin API) internet plugins, which are used by Safari and other browsers (except Chrome & Opera), either get installed in /Library/Internet Plugins/ or ~/Library/Internet Plugins/ (~ = your user folder, so /Users/MonkeyBoy/Library/Internet Plugins/). Chrome implements its plugins using PPAPI (Pepper Plugin API), which up until recently was a proprietary internal-use-only API at Google. As of now the only PPAPI plugins are from Google because who the hell wants to write plugins twice just to make Google's life simpler (except Adobe, of course, they have money to burn, and are dutifully reimplementing their plugins in PPAPI). As WZZZ points out there it a way to make Chrome disable the PPAPI plugin and use the system's NPAPI plugin.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:19 am 

Thanks WZZZ and MB.
I indeed found flash in the library and it was updated there so Saf will find the new copy, should I ever use Saf and should I ever use Flash on it - neither of which is likely!

Mr H had wondered if the more frequent and ubiquitous appearance of Flash on sites was in any way connected to its ease of use in creating a website - easier than the older ways; we didn't know if was the case, but were guessing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:09 pm 

Actually the ubiquity of Flash on websites is decreasing, not increasing. This is because of the rise in mobile devices, XP (IE6) being discontinued, and the ubiquity of HTML5 browsers on all remaining platforms. Instead of writing a mobile site and a desktop site, now they just create one site. I work at a school who has an Adobe-centric focus and Flash is definitely on the outs with employers looking for new hires...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:19 pm 

FF42 is out. They've done a real god-awful number on the Preferences UI. Lots of "cool" empty white space. Besides that, after closing it now always reverts to General instead of to the last open tab. The tiny close button for Cookies is miles away off on the upper right hand corner, in the empty white space.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:26 am 

I have just upgraded FF to v 42, on my iMac. One feature that really gets my goat is the stupid squidging noise that accompanies the opening of FF and any window subsequently.

I've searched for a way of turning this off, but without success. Can someone please tell me how to do this, without, that is, turning off sound altogether on the whole machine?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:50 am 

That's interesting. I'm actually in OS X now (even when I'm on my Mac at work it's usually booted into Windows) and I don't have a noise on my system when opening/closing windows. Hmm... nope, I'm on 42.0. Huh. That's odd.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:08 am 

RodF,
The noise is not known to me either. Do you have any extensions (add-ons) installed that could be responsible?
press Shift+Command+ A to inspect the Add-ons manager.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:43 am 

RodF wrote:
I have just upgraded FF to v 42, on my iMac. One feature that really gets my goat is the stupid squidging noise that accompanies the opening of FF and any window subsequently.

I've searched for a way of turning this off, but without success. Can someone please tell me how to do this, without, that is, turning off sound altogether on the whole machine?

Someone else:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 78f72e8169

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:38 pm 

Thanks all for your replies. WZZZ, that link got me the answer.

It was to do with Noscript. The solution:

Select NoScript (top left of the Bookmarks Toolbar)
Go to Options, then select the Notifications & un-check "Audio feedback when scripts are blocked" then click OK.

At last! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Many thanks WZZZ & RodF! :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:07 pm 

FF 43 just installed....
Earlier in this post there was discussion related to returning the older search field function. IIRC it involved changing "browser.search.ShowOneOffButtons" in about"config to false. That no longer seems to have the desired effect. I hate the new search field behavior. I'm just about ready to move to Chrome. Any way to return my old search? (BTW, Classic theme restorer failed to install).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:22 pm 

db5owat wrote:
FF 43 just installed....Any way to return my old search?

It's been a while since I used the FF rapid update version, so I'm not sure what changed for you searchwise.

You may try Firefox ESR 30.5.0 (Extended Support Release known as ESR)
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/faq/
I have been using it for several months now. It has less bells and whistles but the updates are just security updates, no fancy stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:37 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I cannot find it now, but earlier today I was reading why to avoid the last 3 or 4 FF updates.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:20 am 

Yes, I think sometimes people tend to fetishise a particular browser expecting it to be all things when in reality it is just a bit of software and so by nature is fallable.
Firefox with noscript can at times be an obstinate bastard, and the fallback I have is the lastest version of Safari as used in 10.9 which can just cut through and display the page I want.

The internet is an evolving creature and using the internet requires flexiblity. Having more than one browser is very useful.

in 10.9; I use FF 80% / Safari 20%.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next