XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Apple ID Verification?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:56 pm 

I woke up the iPhone after sending something in iCloud for Notes - and it asked for Apple ID Verification - wanting my Apple PW.
I just said no now and was able to proceed to check notes.

Any idea where that came from - and why?
I did see this - an old post on iOS 9, but same issue and same pop-up appearance:
http://www.techbout.com/repeated-apple- ... ups-15372/

At least I'm not alone.
I assume it has to do with iCloud. I circumvented it by going to settings and proceeding on my merry way (all of this was after unlocking the phone of course)
We'll see if it comes back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:15 pm 

It could just be checking for or trying to install application/OS updates. Not everything on an iDevice or Mac related to your Apple ID is iCloud.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:34 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
It could just be checking for or trying to install application/OS updates. Not everything on an iDevice or Mac related to your Apple ID is iCloud.

Earlier, I was asked when I opened Notes if it (the phone?) could update my MBP (from Mavs to Sierra???) to make Notes work.
No thank you.
Notes worked well enough without screwing with my MBP.

It won't just go ahead and do an update without asking will it???

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:40 am 

A year ago when I went to Mavericks it used to pester me daily about doing updates. I found some places such as in the Mac App Store app where I could disable some update requests. You have to be careful because what I did also caused it to stop doing one particular behind the scenes security update that was still being released (I found a command I ran in terminal that got it to do the update for that). I think I eventually let it update Safari (which I never use) and at some stage over the summer the pestering stopped and I don't think I have seen a security update request in ages. I think I also let it download (but not install) El Capitan which is the last supported OS for my computer. It may be that it is content with the download and it probably also doesn't hurt that my computer has now joined the ranks of Apple's forgetware. Anyway, I think one of the preferences settings lets you tell it to tell you about updates but don't do anything without your say-so.