XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: iPad Air "full"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:12 am 

We have an iPad Air (16GB Wi-Fi) that is behaving oddly. It seems to think it's full - or nearly full (sometimes).

In Settings > General > About, at present, it states that there are zero songs, videos, photos. I have plodded through the process of removing the lot.
There are 28 applications.
Capacity is listed as 11.9 GB.
Alongside 'Available', it says 215 MB.

In Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage, it says 'Used - 11.5 GB' and 'Available 213 MB' (We don't use iCloud.)

That seems to be too small a figure to me.
under 'Used', and after adding the various GBs and MBs for the apps presented, I get just over 8.2 GB. Bizarrely, 'Photos & Camera' shows as 3.5 GB

Am I right in thinking there must more amount of available space available than it says?

Post subject: Re: iPad Air "full"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:33 am 

Don't forget the OS takes up some space too, I don't know how much but if it's saying 213MB free then I'd believe it.

Maybe most of your photos (and music, videos, etc) are on iCloud and not local? If you can move the local stuff to the cloud and live with needing an internet connection to get them that would prolly help.

I noticed I could live without a bunch of apps on my device, so you might delete un-used apps. You can always re-install them later as you've paid for them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:11 pm 

azrich wrote:
Don't forget the OS takes up some space too, I don't know how much but if it's saying 213MB free then I'd believe it.

But, of the supposed 16 GB the machine came with, how much is taken up by the OS? I assumed the 11.9 GB quoted is what's left over when the OS has been installed.

azrich wrote:
Maybe most of your photos (and music, videos, etc) are on iCloud and not local? If you can move the local stuff to the cloud and live with needing an internet connection to get them that would prolly help.

By 'local', do you mean actually on the iPad? We've never used iCloud. All of the photos, videos and music are on our iMac, having been transferred there.

azrich wrote:
I noticed I could live without a bunch of apps on my device, so you might delete un-used apps. You can always re-install them later as you've paid for them.

We've done a bit of that. Might look some more.

Thanks for your reply, btw, azrich. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:19 pm 

This is controversial around these parts, but I recommend you get your photos out of the Apple ecosystem and store them as one photo per file on multiple external storage device. For those who complain, my assessment is that the apple eco system doesn't match Library of Congresses requirements for digital archiving.

informative video:
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/mult ... -photos.ht ml

http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/pers ... hotos.html

R

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:20 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Is it syncing with the Mac?

Which iOS version?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201656

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:36 pm 

Its possible your iOS no longer shows the "other" category for what space is being used by what. Other has plagued iOS since it was iOS.

The only way I know to get rid of "other" is to perform an iCloud backup, backup all the non-iCloud data to a computer, then reset all settings and data. Upon a reboot you're setting up it as a new iPad, but the other category will be a miniscule fraction of what it was - it will eventually grow to its earlier size, but it takes a while.

If, instead of an iCloud backup, you perform a local backup onto a computer using iTunes, then restore this backup after the reset you will restore Other, since its included in this backup. The iCloud backup excludes it, probably because Apple doesn't want to pay for transmitting useless garbage data.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:09 pm 

It's taken a while, but I finally got around to trying out your suggestion, MB. I now know that I cannot find my way around an iPad! Macs, pretty much OK with them as long as things don't get too deep. At least I know where to start looking on Macs.

Stuff seems to have changed since we got the iPad (Air) a couple of years ago. For instance, holding a finger on an app no longer results in the jiggling icon with a cross in one corner, as used to happen, when trying to delete an app. I had to try the wretched Apple 'Communities' to find out how to get that to happen … General > Settings > da-da-da-da-dah. It definitely looks like we've got to ditch some apps which is fine. Not enough room in our iCloud account though. Would we like to buy some more? Yeah - right we would! Should have got more than a 16GB machine.

Tomorrow I'll have another go, with renewed motivation …

Thanks for you suggestion btw :) .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:56 pm 

I had something similar and the only way I could get it to be right is to restore it to factory and set it up again/restore it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:13 pm 

I don't even let iCloud backup photos, music, or videos. I basically do an iCloud restore to get the apps back on it, then sync it via iTunes once that's done to get my photos, music, and videos back on.

Obviously before I perform a factory reset I do a sync with iTunes to get photos, music, and videos off the device (though in my case most of the content comes from the Mac, not the device). There are some iTunes Music Store related tracks that get synced from my iCloud backup, since these don't require any additional iCloud space, but they normally get wiped out by the iTunes sync because I have it downsampling the tracks so they take up less space.

The downside of this method is I can't reset the device wherever I'm at, I have to do it when I'm at home. OTOH most of my content is at home and I'm certainly can't afford to give Apple a car payment each month to store TBs of data in their cloud.