XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: iPad 4 and 10.6.8
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:34 pm 

As far as trying to get the iDevice back to 9.0.2, it really boils down to getting your particular device into restore mode, connecting it your iTunes flavor of choice (though preferably one compatible with 9.0.2), selecting the device, then option-clicking on the restore button, which will open up a window that allows you to choose the file to restore to the device, then choosing the appropriate ipsw file and selecting restore. The restore will either finish successfully or fail with a weird error code. If it fails with a weird error code just reconnect it to iTunes and choose restore without holding down option, at which point iTunes will download the latest iOS and restore it to the device (even if iTunes can't then subsequently talk to the device).

With iPad 3 & 4 it's all about holding down the power & home buttons in a particular sequence. I don't know what it is for other iPads, those two are all I (have to) support. Restore mode is pretty useful though if the iPad gets into a goofy state that it won't let you unlock the device or even respond to touch at all, so it's probably worth looking into how to put your particular model into restore mode. Just punch Apple's weird name for your model (since they can't just change the damn product name every time they release a new model) plus restore instructions into Google and a result listing simple instructions should be pretty close to the top.

I really can't stress this enough though, it's better to go through this sooner rather than later, because even if you're lucky and Apple hasn't removed the signatures from their servers for your particular model, they will do it soon.

Oh, and a restore WILL wipe your iPad back to the stone age, so if you don't have a good iCloud backup, then kick it off. If you have any pictures, videos, etc. on there that isn't elsewhere then get them off somehow too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:38 am 

According to MacRumors, Apple stopped signing iOS 9.0.2 as of 29th October. It's that long ago!

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/29/app ... ios-9-0-2/

I'll just go with the flow. I don't have the know-how, nor the confidence to try, to get 9.1 downgraded now.

I really must pay attention more to 'developments' as they arise. Thanks for your time on this MonkeyBoy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:10 am 

you can check the signed status of iOS firmwares for all idevices at this webpage. it's pretty much updated in realtime

https://ipsw.me/signed#

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:39 am 

Thanks. Does this mean I can downgrade to 9.0.2 without any repercussions, even though Apple have removed the facility themselves?

I would need a simpleton's step-by-step guide to go about this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:59 am 

You can see that all the 9.1s are still being signed, which is no surprise, since it's the latest. But don't think the 9.0.2 is still being signed. Apple usually stops signing the previous version a few days after a new release, and the 9.1 has been out quite a while now, since 10/21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:40 am 

Yup. Missed the boat altogether. Shows how little I use that iPad Air.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:16 am 

What really stinks is that you missed the boat by all of 2 or 3 weeks. Timing is everything.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:52 am 

Yeah, it really galls me that it was that close. Maybe they have some anal retentive fusspot at Apple who can't wait to 'tidy things up'.
I'd like to know, now I'm in the thick of it so to speak, how they decide when to pull the plug. What's their hurry?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:53 am 

RodF wrote:
What's their hurry?
It's the jailbreaking community. 9.1 fixed the 9.0.2 jailbreak exploits, then they unsigned it, effectively shutting down the jailbreak.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:36 pm 

Fair enough. Hooligans spoiling it for the majority.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:21 pm 

Except they own the hardware, Apple doesn't. Apple doesn't own the device, the purchaser does. They are entitled to do whatever they want with it. Period. Even if it means running programs that makes Apple write frowny faces at the end of every sentence.

They're not hooligans, they're just people using rights given to them by long-established laws that apply to all purchases. Shrinkwrap (post-purchase) licensing agreements are unenforceable (because the contract wasn't agreed upon prior to the sale) and are essentially window dressing that will fall apart at the first challenge. They exist solely to line the pockets of the lawyers who write them and the ones who'll unsuccessfully defend them in court.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Indeed.. if Apple gave away these things I might see it, but they don't of course… what I do with something I purchase is my prerogative, not the seller's. :upset:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:14 am 

Of course, I concede these very valid points.