XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: iPad 4 and 10.6.8
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:23 am 

Guess I wasn't paying attention, I've been too busy, but it seems Apple
in it's infinite wisdom makes you buy a new computer just to use their latest iGadget.

I just purchased a iPad mini 4 for work and it seems that I need iTunes 12 which doesn't
install on a Mactel running 10.6.8.

Is there a version of iTunes that will run on 10.6.8 that will allow me to get that iPad4 up and running ?

Post subject: Re: iPad 4 and 10.6.8
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:20 am 

Unless someone here knows a workaround, unfortunately looks like you're screwed. Is 10.6 the limit on your machine? You could try dual booting Snow + a newer OS.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 3.16.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 3.16.57 PM.png [ 69.82 KiB | Viewed 2374 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:22 pm 

Yeah, it's sad that Apple still supports iOS9 on Windows XP with iTunes 12 but their OS X development teams keep throwing hissy-fits when they have to use old build chains, causing iTunes to jump required OS X versions, often seemingly at random. So iTunes 10.6.3 is OS X 10.5.8 minimum but 10.7, containing no real big changes besides iPhone 5 support, requires OS X 10.6?

Basically, short of using Boot Camp and loading Windows to manage your device, you're stuck with Apple's mercurial support of OS X. You will upgrade your OS when they tell you to upgrade your OS. :bonk:

For some fun reading, here's a list of every iTunes version and what changes were introduced,:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_iTunes

Looks like OS X 10.7 is dead to Apple now. I await the day when no OS except the most current version of OS X is supported by iTunes, but Windows XP still is supported.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:04 pm 

What a crock ! I can buy whatever crap app or music with the current version iTunes but activating hardware is not possible.

I'm actually running itunes 11.4 in 10 .6.8 on Mactel iMac 24", I'm not sure what flavor of OS X will run
on it or if I can still get it, if I recall correctly Lion was the last version that will run on my iMac.

I'll have to see if I can activate it with a friends Mac, unless it's tied to the activation computer.

:nothappy:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:16 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
I'm not sure what flavor of OS X will run

So we know more about it...

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac, then click on More Info, then click on Hardware> and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.21f4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:18 pm 

Problem sort of solved, I managed to activate the iPad mini using wifi but I would have much rather have done it
thru iTunes so that I could add apps. I'm still using a iPhone 4 so if I upgrade to a iPhone 6
I guess a cheap new Mac mini is looming in the near future.

BD - this is what I use at my studio :

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2.5 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM61.0093.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.10f2

It does seem from my researching that Lion is the highest I can go
on this iMac but I think even if I installed Lion I'm still stuck with itunes 11.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:17 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
12.2.2.25 [167]
August 13, 2015
Click on the Beats 1 banner to see what's currently on, or view a complete broadcast schedule so you never miss a show
You can now view a list of the artists you're following on Apple Music
Resolved an issue where iTunes loses its place when you go back to a previous page in Apple Music
Addressed a problem where artists may be sorted incorrectly in My Music
Fixed a problem where playlists displayed in the action menu may not match the playlists in your library
Artists can now share thoughts, photos, music, and videos to Connect, right from iTunes
Last version to support Mac OS X v10.7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... #iTunes_11

Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.4.7 (8K1123) Maximum MacOS: X 10.7.5*
Minimum Windows: XP SP2 (32-Bit)* Maximum Windows: 7 (32-Bit)*

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/i ... specs.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:47 pm 

I'll be doggone !
I read the Wikipedia article that Monkeyboy linked to and even checked
Everymac's site, missed the 10.7 clues completely.
Too much work and tired eyes I guess !

I kept thinking Lion was 10.8, and whatever the last big cat
was before they moved to naming the OS's after National Parks
was 10.7.
I'm way out of touch with all things Apple.

Thanks BD !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:10 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

If nothing else Windows® using VM or Bootcamp may get you through.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:04 am 

I ordered Lion, but I wonder how the performance is on such a "old" iMac, Snow leopard is pretty
good I hope it doesn't break Freehand 11, I loathe to do a major OS install during a project.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:44 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I'd for sure install Lion on another drive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:03 am 

I've told my wife not to upgrade to iOS 9 because of the iTunes issue (we also run two 10.6.8 systems).

If we get a new iDevice I'll put El Capitan on an external drive (at least we can run that) suffer all the hassle required to reboot into that, fire up iTunes and sync.

It's high timeApple gave us a documents folder on iDevices to dump things into and have iOS just read what's in there (music, photos, pdfs etc). iTunes is Overkill, bloated and guaranteed to screw up something in your collection after upgrading. Apple can't even get syncing right. Nor can it give users an easy way to resolve syncing problems. I have a 32GB iPad Mini and it's often too full to be synced. To full of the mysterious Apple 'Other' files that build up in no time. Would it be too much to ask to be able to right click that 'other' section in the bar in iTunes and actually SEE what is stopping my device from syncing properly? It's there, it's taking up gigas of space you want but Apple doesn't want you to have access to it.

I can imagine the pain of those who bought 16GB iDevices. And Apple still thinks 16GB is cool! While still not giving many users of lower end iDevices what they really want: 32GB.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:58 pm 

Avon B7 wrote:
It's high timeApple gave us a documents folder on iDevices to dump things into and have iOS just read what's in there (music, photos, pdfs etc). iTunes is Overkill, bloated and guaranteed to screw up something in your collection after upgrading. Apple can't even get syncing right. Nor can it give users an easy way to resolve syncing problems. I have a 32GB iPad Mini and it's often too full to be synced. To full of the mysterious Apple 'Other' files that build up in no time. Would it be too much to ask to be able to right click that 'other' section in the bar in iTunes and actually SEE what is stopping my device from syncing properly? It's there, it's taking up gigas of space you want but Apple doesn't want you to have access to it.
Near as I can tell "Other" is mostly video/music thumbnails plus Safari cache. The only surefire way I've found to wipe Other is to reset the device then restore from an iCloud backup.

I normally band-aid my iPad by putting less and less music/videos on it until Other is consuming 75% of the space on the device, at which point I reset/restore and like magic all that space is available and I fill it back up with music/videos (I always keep <1.5GB of space on the device so won't consume space for an iOS upgrade (which gets marked as "Other" until you install it).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:25 pm 

Yes. I've been down that road but have also had luck fiddling around with applications that let you view the contents of the device. The 'other' space is only really a problem when it balloons up to multiple GB and it's clear that iTunes/iOS have got their knickers in a twist. Then it's welcome to hell! The problem is that it happens all too frequently and the Apple mantra of 'restore to fix' should really be a last resort situation.

I despise the way iTunes syncs, making you sit through all the prep stages and seeing it baulk on trying to copy files over and hitting the 'there is not enough space on the device' error before dumping you in no man's land with half of what you synced but not informing you of exactly what wasn't synced. The worst thing is that this always seems to happen when you're trying to copy something tiny. The last time it happened to me I wanted to copy an ebook over.

Then of course, if you have auto backup on, it will happily backup the device that has the problem (the 'other' data) and then you end up restoring that back to the device. The solution is to restore from an older backup, but of course that one won't have your latest files that were generated on the device since the last backup.

:cry:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:40 pm 

An iCloud backup doesn't back up Other, though a local backup will. I think. I gave up on regular local backups at one point and I think that was the reason. I perform them sporadically just for sanity's sake, in case Apple turns off iCloud support for older OSes or similar logic.

I don't back up my music, pictures, & videos through iCloud, I just restore those through an iTunes sync I perform after the iCloud restore finishes. Works out well because I can cut down the size of the music through iTunes.

I'm not saying this isn't a complete clusterfsck of a solution, I'm just saying it's what I do periodically to band-aid Apple's big looming Other problem. It works, but it's not something I want to do regularly.

Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:35 am 

If any of you are in a mood to be experimental you can look at some suggestions I made in my topic "Idle iTunes Musings". I don't have any i-devices nor iTunes 12 so I can only theorize.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:56 pm 

Here's a laugh and a half.

I've updated to iOS 9.1 on my iPad Air. A mistake. A very big and very, very silly mistake. My desktop machine is an Intel iMac running OS 10.6.8 and iTunes version 11.4 (the latest version that can be installed with Snow leopard). iOS 9.1 requires a later version of iTunes. So at the moment I can't use the iPad with iTunes. How can I downgrade the iOS to version 9.0?

Perhaps I missed a warning that I should update iTunes before I updated the iPad … via iTunes! Even though I can't update iTunes.

The upside is that we pretty much only use the iPad for surfing the net, some emailing and taking photos. It's useful when we're travelling. Connecting the iPad to the Mac opens Image Capture so we can transfer photos to the Mac for storage or printing if we want.
It looks as though we aren't too disadvantaged because we've never really wanted to transfer music, photos etc onto the iPad.

I took umbrage when Apple discontinued their iPod Classic line. Now they've gone too far. If I see Tim Cook down the pub sometime soon, I'm going to give him an earful, I can tell you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:03 am 

Normally you can't do it. Apple removes the encryption keys for signing iOS versions within a few weeks of a new iOS being released, which prevents you from installing an old iOS on an iDevice.

You can try putting the iPad into recovery mode, option clicking on the restore button, and then choose an appropriate older .ipsw file for that iPad. If it fails with a cryptic error number, they've removed the signing keys from their website and you can only run the latest release.

You can find direct download links for the ipsw files all over the place. Here's the first one Google uncovered:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ios-9-how-clea ... ch-1519956

If you want 9.0.2 instead, which was the last version of 9.0:
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-ios- ... ouch-ipsw/

If you're wondering why? It's because jailbreakers know how to jailbreak older releases and Apple gets really, really upset when people peer behind the curtain. The wizard must not be disturbed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:06 pm 

Well thanks, MonkeyBoy, for your patience. (I wonder how many others have blundered into the same mess as me.)

I suppose it boils down to a fairly simple choice :

1. Given that we don't really use the iPad Air intensively, i.e. no music, films or photos imported from anywhere, it might never be necessary for us to pine for a compatible version of iTunes. We can download photos and movies from the iPad Air to the iMac via Image Capture. Any Apps we might care to download/upgrade can be done wirelessly. (Can't they?)

2. Try and get back to iOS 9.0.2 so we have the iTunes facility in case we ever decide we need it. I'd like to know step-by-step how to do that - I have no native expertise in that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I've seen several complaints on ASC about iOS upgrades/downgrades & Apple never telling anybody what it's going to break, though it's a tiny percentage considering how many just iPhones are out there, I think most do 1 of these 3 things...

1. Buy a new Mac with a new OSX because iOS was updated.

2. Send a complaint through Feedback to the round filing cabinet.

3. Give up because... "Apple are you listening?", yes we we are, the ca-ching is deafening though. :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:13 pm 

Yep. Thought of those three options myself.

1. Any new Mac with whatever the current OS is would entail the equivalent of emigrating to a different country, plus it would have all sorts of bugs, quirks and niggles that would be a downer, having made a big jump from SL. I'd have to try and run SL Server in Parallels to use a lot of the stuff I've got used to having all these years. How long would that bright shiny new OS last before some iOS or other demanded a version of iTunes that was out of reach? New printer necessary? Any other peripherals need to be ditched for newer ones?

2. I'd rather bang my head against a wall. At least you have the prospect of relief when you stop doing it.

3. Yes … resistance is useless …

I'll go for 3, with an option on 1 in a moment of insanity/weakness.

I think I'll go and listen to 'Old Shep' to cheer myself up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:48 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

You put it even better than I could! :coffee:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:00 pm 

point 2. can work - if you're Taylor Swift. So I suppose you can rule out that one afterall.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:09 pm 

Since I started this thread I should update what I did, I wound up using WiFi to activate my mini,
it was a "duh" forehead smack moment, but at least it was up and running.

What I wound up doing for syncing is installing 10.7 Lion on a external drive, and boot from that drive to
run any updates for my iPads, sync etc. It's a pain, the but it works and was relatively cheap since I had a fresh
2TB drive laying around.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:34 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Good work, thanks for the report! :)