XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:18 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
... but that's like saying Ferraris are faster than Fords.

Funny you should say that! ;)
Quote:
In the spring of 1963, Ford reportedly received word through a European intermediary that Enzo Ferrari was interested in selling to Ford Motor Company. Ford reportedly spent several million dollars in an audit of Ferrari factory assets and in legal negotiations, only to have Ferrari unilaterally cut off talks at a late stage due to disputes about the ability to direct open wheel racing.

Quote:
Enzo cut the deal off out of spite and Henry Ford II, enraged, directed his racing division to find a company that could build a Ferrari-beater on the world endurance-racing circuit.

Quote:
The Ford GT40 is a high performance American-British endurance racing car, built and designed in England (Mk I, Mk II, and Mk III) and in the United States (Mk IV), and powered by a series of American-built engines, which won the 24 Hours of Le Mans four consecutive times, from 1966 to 1969 (1966 being the Mk II, 1967 the Mk IV, and 1968-1969 the oldest chassis design, the Mk I).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT40

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:14 pm 

What Snow Leopard brought to the table was a lot of bug fixes, which is why it's appalling that they never released it for PPC. It wasn't faster, it wasn't particularly leaner, it just was a slap in the face to their customer base and a begin down the long slippery slope that has brought us to the current day, where Apple doesn't care about the installed base, only new customers. Yosemite is amazingly bad on 2GB, and regular beachball hell on 4GB, systems.

That's part of my inherent distrust of their soldered-on RAM systems. They will at one point obsolete entire swathes of their installed base with just as much grace and care as they're currently doing, and the poor suckers who own those systems will be screwed with no option short of full replacement for adequate security. Apple isn't even really patching Mavericks now.

Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Wed May 20, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

It's a bit funny, how now bug fixes are a whole new OS version wilst introducing more new bugs than they're fixing, or worse yet when the big fix is a worse bug that the original! :bonk:

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:11 pm 

Well, I honestly do think Snow was really good at nailing down all the squirrelly problems with Leopard, which is why it irks me that they made it Intel-only. I was told by one developer that early builds were Intel/PPC.

Mountain Lion was also a big improvement on Lion, I honestly can't think of any reason to run Lion over ML.

Yosemite really doesn't feel to be in the same vein, it's just a "new" OS release with more bugs, more featureitis. Systems that ran OK on Mavericks run worse on Yosemite.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I rarely boot to 10.9 & even less into 10.10, but yes 10.7 was the worst ever, lest you can't go further, then maybe not so even. :(

Too bad my Mac Pro has an HD7950 in it that only has drivers for 10.6.8 & up, I'd much rather run 10.5, 10.4, or even… OS9 on it! :P

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:25 am 

(sorry, didn't notice there was another page :( - this is a reply to BD's reply to me, bottom of previous page...)

Well....

For that matter, I can honestly say that the fastest combination of software and hardware I've ever used was OS 9.2.2 running natively on a G3 iBook. But OS X on that was a dog.

It's probably true to say that 10.6 got a lot faster on newer hardware. Like on my machine (2011 Core i5 iMac), things are generally very zippy BUT SAFARI IS A DOG!!! Which is because it's stuck at v5. Can't go any higher. However, compare that with Photoshop, iTunes, FileMaker Pro, Scrivener, (ancient version of) Office, Libre Office, Elements, Journler, Dictate ... all very fast.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:30 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I had a PM6500 upgraded to a G3 400 MHz, USB 1.0 & Video upgrade, OS 7.5.5 became unusable because it was too fast!

Scrolling less than 100 lines at once was impossible, clicking a Mouse button would poll it several times a millisecond!
Later upgraded to a G3 500 MHz on it, strangely it was slower than the 400 MHz!???

But OS9 was sweet on it with 132 MB of RAM. :)