XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:03 pm 

You need to ditch AT&T and just go with Comcast for cable internet unless you live in an area where they don't service. Then you can get an Arris SB8200 cable modem with its own self contained Faraday Cage and live vicariously through it and its dual ethernet ports. ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:46 pm 

Leo,
Do you connect solely by WIFI, because heaps of internet of things connected likewise can lengthen the queue that you're in too. Maybe it is problem of bandwidth not speed per se.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:49 am 

roam wrote:
Leo,
Do you connect solely by WIFI, because heaps of internet of things connected likewise can lengthen the queue that you're in too. Maybe it is problem of bandwidth not speed per se.

Yeah, with wireless, I get maybe 25 up/down. Hardwired 80+ up/down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:20 am 

WZZZ wrote:
None of the HTML5 ones reflect what (I think) I'm really getting. DSLReports servers are too far away.)

I just tried DSL Reports html5 but wasn't sure of the results. I pay for 40 Mbps down and 4 runs of the test showed I was getting 39.5-40 but DSL Reports was giving it a "D" grade. I only get 6 Mbps up but am I incorrect in understanding that one rarely gets the same up as down (and usually it is down that matters unless you are uploading a ton of files)? Only one server in the 4 runs was in my state, and in the last one the nearest was 2 states away and most of the others were 4 states away or 1500 miles away.

I ran Ookla and it gave me 40/6 for a server but I found it was to one in my own city which I felt was a bit unrealistic. I then chose one across the border in Mitchell S. Dakota, best known for the Corn Palace. 6 up, 6 down which probably speaks more to the Mitchell, SD's internet service than mine. :snail:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:13 pm 

Limnos wrote:
WZZZ wrote:
None of the HTML5 ones reflect what (I think) I'm really getting. DSLReports servers are too far away.)

I just tried DSL Reports html5 but wasn't sure of the results. I pay for 40 Mbps down and 4 runs of the test showed I was getting 39.5-40 but DSL Reports was giving it a "D" grade. I only get 6 Mbps up but am I incorrect in understanding that one rarely gets the same up as down (and usually it is down that matters unless you are uploading a ton of files)? Only one server in the 4 runs was in my state, and in the last one the nearest was 2 states away and most of the others were 4 states away or 1500 miles away.

I ran Ookla and it gave me 40/6 for a server but I found it was to one in my own city which I felt was a bit unrealistic. I then chose one across the border in Mitchell S. Dakota, best known for the Corn Palace. 6 up, 6 down which probably speaks more to the Mitchell, SD's internet service than mine. :snail:

The "D" grade, which I'm assuming is for speed, is based on the average speed available in most areas in the US. 40 Mbit/sec may seem really good, but that's only 5 MB/sec, which is pedantically slow when it comes to large downloads like day one game patches or huge patches for online games. My connection gives me 30 MB/sec, which I can't imagine going without anymore given just how large patches usually are these days.

To see what server(s) are closest to you, go into your speedtest page on DSLR and click the cogwheel. You can see a list of servers. Usually it'll select the server with the best ping, but realistically you want the server that's closest to you geographically as that usually means fewer hops. And the more hops you get the worse your bufferbloat gets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

So, could you use Traceroute to figure out the hops?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:39 pm 
Vice Dictator

Tried the dslreports speedtest.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:55 pm 

I'd kill for gigabit, but not at the ridiculous $300/mo. comcast charges for it, especially on a node that's already so crowded they had no choice but to finally bump the CMTS from 24 channels to 32 channels.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 pm 

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 1.49.07 AM.png [119.63 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Had DSL for $15 per month as long as Verizon supported DSL.1 download and .5 up load. Verizon went to the FCC and got permission to drop copper wire support and forced me to move to fiber. Went with the cheapest plan 3/1 for $59 per month with a $40 discount for two years. I get 5/2.

Since it was a forced move, I got to keep my old phone pricing. I go with the 10 cent per call for local calls. I do not have to pay for inbound call. Dropped my long distance calling a long time ago. Go with a calling card that I have programmed into my phone.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:22 pm 
he who stacks pork

roam wrote:
Leo,

Wired: three PCs (one is a Hackintosh)
Wireless: two PCs (one is a Hackintosh), one dual quad-core 3.2GHz Powermac, one iPhone

Is that a lot of wireless devices?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 pm 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Is that a lot of wireless devices?

No, three is not many, you could have a wireless printer in there as well and it still would not be much. The point I was thinking about was everyone else's stuff creating a burden.
In a congested urban neighbourhood there are a number of other WIFIs doing their own thing. What they all have in common is the same frequency of 2.4Ghz. While their signals are discrete to their own networks, each device requires a moment of 'silence' to jump on that frequency and send data uninterupted back to a wire (to the router thence to the cable to the ISP). In overlapping WIFI haze, from you and your neighbours, devices have to take it in turns to jump on the frequency, so the more congested the longer the wait between goes.
At your place there may be currently, a dozen available WIFIs, though not actually available because the passwords are unknown, but they are all buzzing.

My mention of the internet of things, that cliche referring to modern household products that are connected to the internet, like a Smart TV, or say security cameras that feed a live stream to your iPhone when you are not at home; these things are all usually WIFI, and so will crowd the 2.4GHz space even more. You don't know what your neighbours have in play, and even though they are not on your network, they are sharing the same frequency, and collectively will slow things down.
This is the reason you can get faster downloads over an ethernet cable (wired) than you can using WIFI.