XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:36 pm 

We were trying to call from one to the other to troubleshoot the phone which didn't (doesn't) work well with FT.

I somehow screwed up the MBP's FT and lost the green button on the screen to accept calls. I don't know how to get it back. We can call the computer which we could before, but no way to accept the call (to test the phone) We see null and no green accept button. Is there something we can do? I've restarted, logged in and out of Apple ID. Turned FT on and off - still no button.

I opened the admin account and tested from there - same thing.

I'll write later about what's wrong with the FT on the phone - but we need to check it out.

I spent 2 hours with Apple yesterday on the landline phone - they had me reset (no joy) and then restore from iCloud (no joy) the phone - problem same - maybe... but that's a different story.

HOw do I fix FT on the Mavericks MBP? FT came with Mavericks and I don't know how to get a new one.

I did a backup minutes before the problem - can I just copy the backed up app over the sick one?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:42 pm 

It shows as coming from null - before it showed the name of the favorite (aka US) who was the caller.

EDIT - I Changed the Caller ID back to an email addy (the apple ID one) rather than our phone number (from the iPhone) on the MBP and back to the phone number for the iPhone and it doesn't show null anymore - it recognizes who is calling and the accept button is back, but not looking the same as before.

On the phone FT looks different too - I can't get a page with favorites. I just see the last call and the words audio // video on the top line and a place to type in a new recipient and a fuzzy pix (of fuzzy me?) the page before I'm pretty sure gave me a list of favorites to pick who to call (from our 2 favs) but maybe that list got lost when the phone got restored.

Help - please... I can call back Apple, but they didn't help.
The trouble with the phone btw was we couldn't/can't hear anything on the MPB from the phone (and our recipient with a 6s iPhone couldn't either - nor could he hear on his new 7) We may be better now by a bit, but the MBP is still missing the first 12 or so words of each comment made from the phone to it. Something is wrong and I don't know what. Maybe it's just the MBP but it seems as if the iPhone doesn't hear the first many many words and then the mic kicks in. I did a voice memo and it works. And Siri works - and audio calls work. We head for Japan in 3 weeks so I can't worry too much about this, but one of the reasons for the phone was to be able to contact our son, so at least audio calls and video calls (with little or no sound from us) may work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:00 pm 

Just an FYI - FaceTime seems to work on the phone now - we took off the protective cover that came with the phone and installed a tempered glass screen protector. I think the plastic was causing problems and I just hadn't had time to install the screen protector - Mr H took over and id it for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:30 pm 

Plastic films are designed to protect items during assembly and shipping, very few of them are intended to be left on the unit. Thats why they usually fog up and become harder to see over time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:26 pm 

Duh!
I knew that - but I didn't have time to put on the tempered glass protector - and the plastic worked just fine till I did, or so I thought!
No fog, no fingerprints on the original glass until I got ready to install the protector.

Until I used FT, no problems!

BTW - I have and installed a day after the screen protector a Speck candyshell grip case - the phone is just too slippery. Has anyone used one? I read on Apple's site that "some" cases need to be removed when charging - I can't imagine taking this off every night. I don't think it's thick enough to result in meltdown. I got the black and grey version for much less at Amazon:
http://www.speckproducts.com/apple/ipho ... -GRIP.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:51 pm 

This is the case I'm currently using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HLY9IOG/

Really all I wanted was one that would flip close and had a magnetic latch to stay closed. That it has an integrated stand is a bonus.

There are several million similar cases covering virtually every phone known to man on Amazon. But it all depends on what you want to do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:00 pm 

You don't take the case off when you charge it, do you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:48 pm 

Nope, there's tons of room around the USB port on that case. Lightning is the same size if not smaller.

I know when they were using the (larger) dock connector that getting it plugged through an Otterbox and similar mongo cases was sometimes an issue. I wonder if that note is just a cautionary holdover from those times.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:23 pm 

I don't think it has anything to do with space. I've got loads of space for the ports as well.
What I'm talking about is overheating " I don't think it's thick enough to result in meltdown." :
http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/
It's about the third item down on the page.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:26 pm 

That's... odd. All devices get hot when charging. I can have the device disassembled with the battery exposed to air and the battery will get hot when charging. It's a side effect of the reaction taking place inside the battery, some of the energy gets released as heat. I suspect that's just legalese so if a device catches fire they can claim the case was the cause, rather than the manufacturing defect that's the actual cause.

Unless you have an Otterbox or similar military spec cases, which wrap devices in thick layers of plastic and rubber, I don't think you need to worry about taking the device out of the case. Or even if you put it in an Otterbox or similar military-spec style case... I've had my iPad in a Griffin Survivor case for years now, battery's still going strong, still hasn't caught fire.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:06 pm 

Thanks MonkeyBoy - I thought as much.
This is the case - another shot in addition to the one I linked above on the Speck site:
https://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-C ... op?ie=UTF8

Black and grey - pretty attractive and nicely grippy since I find the phone rather slippery. It says Speck on the back but it's in black and doesn't show too much - better than saying APPLE - here's my expensive phone, steal me!

Not that heavy, nothing like Otter.

Did you see all the details Apple gave about charging - quite a bit of stuff to remember. Overnight not so good as when you are awake and can unplug it when finished? At home that's easy - on the road - maybe not so very.

I have yet to take a photo with the sucker! Google translate for Japanese, however, is very cool and instant translate worked when I tested it holding the camera over written Japanese and getting a translation immediately (well, sort of immediately) Also voice recognition and writing... Very exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:37 pm 

Again I think most of that stuff is legalese and not real world. So long as you stick to Apple and other high quality chargers and cabling you don't need to worry about leaving it plugged in overnight. Once it approaches full charge it reverts to trickle charging, otherwise batteries would be catching fire right and left.

If you get a third party low quality charger or cable then it really doesn't matter how long you have it plugged in, but this way Apple and the third party can claim that because you didn't immediately unplug it then its your fault not ours. If you avoid buying these kinds of peripherals in supermarkets and drug stores then you should be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:58 am 

Thanks again MonkeyBoy.

I only have original Apple stuff for the iPhone - (well I do have lots of flash drives from Kensington, but that doesn't apply here)
I figured it was all save our butt kind of thing, but I just needed to hear from the expert.

We head out very soon.

I'll be starting a new thread to ask what settings we need to fix before we leave and what else we need to do.
Please keep an eye out for it - I'll need help for sure. If you don't see it, I'll PM you later this week with the link once I write up the question.

Thank you so much!