XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:13 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Dot mac, free for like died, MobileMe, HA, iCloud???

Anyway, toying with iCloud to try to see if Pages or other Apps have progressed past 3rd rate, running 10.8.5 on Mid 2007 iMac, but Apple thinks it's Yosemite!

Apple says I need to sign up for iDrive for Pages to work, but also says I have 5 GB left on my iCloud!???

Trying to access iDrive it says I need to be running Yosemite or greater!

Not really a problem since I'd never trust that Apple won't decide to require you have Gigabit Internet. an A9 powered Mac Mini Pro running Death Valley AND an iPhone 9s to access it… but I find it humorous…

Attachments:
MLYosemite.gif
MLYosemite.gif [ 29.88 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:20 pm 

Yeah to use the web versions of iWork you need to be logged into an account that's been upgraded. You could always just create a new AppleID and use that with iWork.

Every time I log into a new OS or update the OS or look at the OS funny it presents me with that "log into iCloud" dialog box so I can store all my passwords in iCloud and upgrade to iCloud drive... but down near the bottom it lists all the hardware attached to my account that won't work with the new iCloud version (if Apple wants me to upgrade, maybe they could release updates for that hardware? Crazy talk, I know), which is why I keep telling them no.

I don't entirely blame them for not detecting operating systems that have been depreciated. I do wholeheartedly blame them for changing their support cycle from 6 years, which was already too short, to a ridiculous 3 years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:13 pm 

My wife always gets the 'log into iCloud' on startup. When she cancels it, it pops back up and she has to cancel a second time. Then it goes away until next boot.

I simply don't trust Apple with cloud data and I've read far too many problems about iCloud sync issues to advise my wife to use it.

I don't understand why iTunes backup has to be in iCloud OR local but can't be both and doesn't backup everything to either choice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:23 am 

There is a way to make it not come up each time. You have to choose the option in the dialog box not to log into iCloud and then next past the screen. If you just cancel then it will always come up, but if you give it a negative answer and complete the dialog then it won't come up.

Another time it will always prompt you to log into iCloud is if your local account has previously been logged into iCloud. Then it will keep asking you to log into that account at startup (this is different from the screen I just mentioned, which asks you to use your iCloud account as your login authentication, upgrades your iCloud to iDrive, and gives Apple the right to take your first born child). The simple way to get out of this perpetual cycle is to go to the iCloud system preference and log out of the account. At that point it should present a screen in preferences asking you to log into an account, just quit system preferences and that should be it - it should stop nagging you.

Finally there's one more nag, it happens when it checks for updates to software purchased from the mac app store, at that point it will similarly ask for the apple id and password used to purchase that software. You can either delete the purchased software from applications or supply the apple id and password to make it stop nagging you. There is no way to make it ignore the purchased software unfortunately, either delete, login, or get nagged every time it checks for/installs updates.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:55 am 

A little off topic but in the spirit of the topic heading I recall a wonderful bringing down to earth of the term cloud computing, saying your data is not in a cloud, but actually on the ground, in a building, perhaps not far from you if you live in a large city.

iCloud sounds a magical wonder but really your data is just in a bunch of computers in a nearby shed . :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:12 am 

roam wrote:
iCloud sounds a magical wonder but really your data is just in a bunch of computers in a nearby shed . :cry:

i-shed just doesn't have the same metaphysical connotation. I'm just happy someone didn't call it the ionosphere (or would it be iionoshere?).

Last edited by db5owat on Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:16 pm 

Yeah, cloud computing is a stupid name for an old idea. Putting your data on a server. Most of the time with cloud computing it means putting your data on someone else's server, which may or may not be configured, updated, and secured correctly.... and if you're lucky it'll be backed up and replicated so when their poorly maintained datacenter goes offline, it won't take your data with it.

Maddeningly a new term has come up... 'private cloud'... which, as you may guess, means putting your data on a server you own and/or control.

What is it about clouds these days.

I wish they had used orbit instead. "Put your data into orbit" has a better ring to it, and as an added bonus comes with a better explanation when your data up and vanishes or gets encrypted by malware - it flew too close to the sun and burned up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sign up for my new Magellanic Cloud service, your data will be there in 200,000 years! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:19 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Another time it will always prompt you to log into iCloud is if your local account has previously been logged into iCloud. Then it will keep asking you to log into that account at startup (this is different from the screen I just mentioned, which asks you to use your iCloud account as your login authentication, upgrades your iCloud to iDrive, and gives Apple the right to take your first born child). The simple way to get out of this perpetual cycle is to go to the iCloud system preference and log out of the account. At that point it should present a screen in preferences asking you to log into an account, just quit system preferences and that should be it - it should stop nagging you.

Thanks MB, That second case must be what my wife is seeing as she doesn't get the option to not show the dialog again. I'll speak to her about it and see if she fiddled with something and provoked it by accident or if she knew what she as doing.

I'm not sure if there are localisation issues with iCloud, but a lot of the dialogs are a bit cryptic (at least in Spanish). She might have misunderstood one of those dialog boxes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:39 pm 

They are really persistent about bringing up the first dialog I talked about, I swear I can't install an update without it bringing that damn thing back up. And if she ever filled in her Apple ID or went through the process of creating an Apple ID (both are possible through the dialog) then the account gets tied to an ID and will occasionally want you to retype the password.

The fun part is that sometimes they want you to type it 2 times for the same thing, intermixed with a couple requests for the exact same password to authorize other resources (e.g. Messages, Facetime, etc.). Logging out of the account will put a stop to it.