XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:12 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm, thought my Wifi modem was dying, but just found out that whenever I use the MW oven it goes screwy.

It's 2 walls & 20' away from the Modem, 3 walls & 30' from the computer!

I take it it's leaking & a health hazard… any way to fix it or shield it, or tell where exactly it's leaking?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:59 am 

Not really a health hazard, microwave ovens always interfere with 2.4 when they're running. Remember, WiFi runs at fairly low wattage, your microwave is probably double or more the wattage of WiFi so it doesn't take much stray signals to create WiFi havoc. It's even worse if a microwave is located at a spot between the access point/router and the system, in which case it can knock the system off the (wireless) network.

If you want difficult, try explaining to a teacher why their students personal WiFi hotspots are knocking the school's WiFi offline. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:59 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB, that's a load off my mind. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:41 pm 
Master

It probably only takes a watt or two of microwave energy leaking from your microwave oven to utterly destroy wireless connectivity. Mine does the same thing. My solution is to only run the microwave when I want to get other people off the Internet.

And it's also worth remembering that microwave radiation is non-ionizing, so the only real danger is if something is close enough to it to get hot. The fan, transformer, and light bulb in your oven probably generate more heat than leaks from the oven as microwaves, so I really wouldn't worry about it unless the connectivity issue is just too annoying to handle, in which case you could carefully build a second Faraday cage around the oven, at the cost of considerable time and some expense. It's probably not, however, worth the trouble.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:37 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks Anon. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:08 am 

A year or so ago, two Ukranian youths dismantled a microwave oven and focused its energy on different things. Here is one video of their experimenting. I suppose when there are bombings and war in your country, this kind of danger is playful in comparison. I like the induction effect they show with different light globes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrOw03gIIQQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:18 pm 
Master

Just don't get burned, beam the microwaves at your eyes, electrocute yourself, or crush then breathe the beryllium oxide dust and you'll be fine.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:39 pm 

Aha. My math was way off. A microwave oven emits between 700 and 1400 watts. An 802.11b/g access point emits a maximum of 100 milliwatts (.1 watts), while 802.11n is 200 milliwatts. These are both in the 2.4Ghz range, 5Ghz would be on top of that but microwave ovens typically don't interfere with them (that's reserved for USB 3).

Even a fairly well contained mass produced microwave oven is going to leak, and when your entire signal is .1 or .2 it doesn't take much to leak to drown out your signal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:04 pm 
Master

One of the things that I can't stand about microwave ovens if that they're just too slow. I mean, it takes something like 40 seconds to get your food hot, and in the meantime you're just standing there for what feels like F_O_R_E_V_E_R just watching the little turntable thing spinning around.

The problem is that microwaves just aren't powerful enough. For example, my microwave oven only beams around 1200 watts of RF radiation in to my food. If instead it were 120,000 watts then I'd only have to wait .4 seconds to reheat my coffee! It'd be great! What could possibly go wrong that couldn't be fixed with liquid cooling and wrapping the oven in non-conducting 6-inch thick plate armor and Kevlar reinforcing straps all connected to the substation with 00000 gauge wire??

In 1950 we were told everyone in the future would have a nuclear powered flying car. If we can do that, why not a 120,000 watt microwave oven? The future sucks. That's why. Screw you 1950! :nothappy:

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:10 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
1200 watts

watts= volts x amps so at 1200 watts on a 110v line a microwave is drawing nearly 11 amps. I believe most household circuits are designed for a maximum of 20 amps so having a single device taking 50% of that is a lot. Nominally the safe load is 80% maximum which means your microwave (and some are rated for 1400 watts) is almost requiring its own circuit as it takes up 70-80% of the safe available. That's probably one reason why the power level is so low. I do recall in Europe where circuits are 220V think like immersion kettles boil a lot faster.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:46 pm 

Well, most household wiring is rated for 15amps continuous. In older homes its usually 10amps. They can draw 20 or 15 amps but if its a continuous draw the insulator softens due to the wires heating up. Do that over and over and over and it will harden and grow brittle.

If you've ever heard someone, typically older people, rant about how everyone should always unplug their toaster when it's not in use, it's not because the toaster catches fire (though they think it does), it's because the house wiring's insulation was heated and cooled so often the insulation failed. You could have unplugged the toaster and the fire will still happen.

Personally I wasn't a particularly huge microwave fan until I realized how blindingly simple it was to cook pasta and rice, and cook them well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:23 am 

When we had some minor rewiring done in our house I requested the electrician put the microwave oven on its own circuit. It is too easy in a kitchen to have two high demand devices going at the same time and before it was sharing the circuit for one of the wall receptacles and a powerful kitchen exhaust fan. The switch in the exhaust fan sometimes causes arcing which trips the GFCI in the receptacle and was taking out that corner of the kitchen.

We have a 100 year old house and the upstairs still has knob and tube wiring. All of the upstairs except the 2003 remodeled bathroom is on one circuit. At my request we plug the vacuum cleaner into the bathroom receptacle when doing the upstairs otherwise I risk sending my computers into a brownout. :emphatic-eek: Even sending a job to the printer in my room caused the light to dim a bit until I ran an extension cord from the new circuit to the printer. I am also too aware the wiring is just not designed to take that kind of load, being installed in an era when high-tech meant electric lights and a radio. We could get the upstairs rewired but they would have to pull apart our lath and plaster walls, plus we use the attic for storage. Everything would have to come out of it and then I would have to pull up the false floor I put in as part of adding insulation when we first moved in. :(

Rice in a microwave I know. It is not necessarily faster but it is a lot cleaner than boiling on a stove. How do you do pasta? For me potatoes were the big thing. Baked potato in 7 minutes!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:46 pm 

The funny thing about knob and tube wiring is that, if its done right and maintained properly, it's far more fire resistant than newer styles of wiring. The problem is that it was ungodly expensive to wire a location with it. The insulators can crack or degrade over time but, being ceramic, they're pretty durable. The wiring can also be under (or over, depending on your viewpoint) rated and have the same kinds of heat issues but, because conductors aren't run in close proximity to one another, it won't have disastrous results.

Pasta is either heat water in a microwave until it boils then dump in your pasta and set it for another 5 or 10 or however many minutes, or just get lazy and throw it in cold and run it (not quite as nice at the end, but I usually don't mind). It swells up like crazy, the longer you cook it the bigger it gets... though too long and it gets sticky. Glass bowls work well for helping eyeball how far along things have progressed.

I always forget about potatoes. I mean, I buy a bag of them, I eat a couple, then I forget they're there until one day I opened that cupboard and it's root city.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:34 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, just checked & yes my baf of potatoes is growing eyes! :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:39 pm 

I think if you plant them after they've started doing that you can, eventually, get more potatoes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

You ever tried to use a shovel without shoes! :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:57 am 

BDAqua wrote:
You ever tried to use a shovel without shoes! :P

Use the shovel's antecedent; a digging stick: They're not available online anymore, but can be easily fashioned.

I put some sprouting spuds into the ground once, and grew a nice potato plant. Not sure how long I left it, but eventually dug it all up and got over ½ a bucket of succulent little potatoes. They were delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:47 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Use the shovel's antecedent; a digging stick

:lol:

Checking cave wall for digging stick directions!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:48 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:48 pm 
Master

No digging necessary: Just pitch the potatoes toward some dirt and cover them with straw, or grass clippings, or coffee grounds, or general organic garbage, or pretty much anything that used to be part of a plant that isn't wood/bark/oak leaves. If desired or in a very dry place, pour water on the mound every couple days. To harvest, brush off the stuff you used to cover the original potato.

IMPORTANT: They do need to be completely covered. Don't eat green potatoes since the green parts (which will develop where they've been exposed to light) have high levels of toxins, or if you do eat them be sure to heat them > 180° F to somewhat break down those toxins. This goes for potatoes from the store or the garden.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:30 pm 

I actually have used a shovel without shoes, although I was much younger so my feet were much more sturdy. And I think it rained recently so the ground was softer.

These days I'd be inclined to get a infantry shovel so I could dig on my knees.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:17 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm ,seems the Microwave Oven interference had something to do with the ambient temp & humidity.

When the interference happened we had 2-3 days of 95° F. temps, & low humidity for my house, about 50&.

Since temps have dropped & Humidity is back about 80% with the same exact setup, there has been no upsetting of the Wifi connection, so I guess thinner air + lower humidity was was just enough to allow the Oven to reach the modem strong enough to make it go whacko!?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:50 am 
Vice Dictator

May try changing your wifi signal to a higher channel just to see if it helps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, I'll give that a try if it does it again. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:19 pm 

Yeah, the channel does make a difference. The funny thing is that the difference varies a lot. You can't say that 1 or 11 is best, which is best depends on where its being used.