XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:20 pm 

Gents, Ladies, et al:

Been trying to get some direction on a couple issues from the Apple Hardware User sub-forum, but, once again . . . nada, nichts . . . . So, in hanging out with linux for the last 4 - 5 years I've seen mention of upgrading the kernel stack of an older system to that of the newer . . . in this case the olde Sawtooth has a base install of 12.04 (Precise) and I'd like to try to upgrade the kernel to the next LTS version . . . 14.04.

I've searched Google, and Launchpad, as well as the Ubuntu wiki, but, nothing appropriate seems to be showing up in terms of spelling it out for easy running, either CLI or via synaptic. I was able to upgrade the "linux headers" using synaptic, but the "linux-image" for 3.13 . . . doesn't seem to be showing up as "installable." Don't know if I need to add something in Software Sources (adding a line in APT) . . . or some PPA . . . ??? Any direction on that would be appreciated . . . . I found the place on Launchpad where I can download the .deb file, but there is a caveat there saying, "You shouldn't just install this package, you need the 'meta-packages.'" Searching LP for "meta-packages 3.13" only showed the entire list of "linux-image" updates . . . nothing "meta."

Second issue, and possibly not do-able--I've been running ToriOS/JWM DE on the PM 3,1 and that does give pretty good functionality to the 450 MHz . . . the only thing that keeps it from being the go-to system is . . . no "suspend" feature. This machine has the ATI Rage 128 video card, and, there isn't too much data on the PowerPCFAQ about getting suspend set up . . . that is one of the reasons that I'd like to get the kernel upgraded, there might be some chance for better "kernel support" for "power management" . . . and "suspend." Any thoughts on how to get "suspend" going in 12.04 would be great news.

Not holding my breath on suspend, but I'm pretty sure that getting the trusty kernel stack going should be do-able--I'd just like to do it without screwing up the rest of the install.

Precerate it . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:20 pm 

I can't believe I "got a hot one right over the plate" annnnddddddd "Stttttiiiiirrrrriiiikkkkkkkeeeeee!!!!!!" Right into the catcher's glove . . . nothing on the bat . . . high pop uppppppppppp . . . and, what's gonna happen next?????

Did look like nothing has been happening in this sub-forum since 2014 . . . no linux users here??? Linux on Apple hardware peebles????? Not even a "Howdy, we don understan yur kuestion . . . why r u here?" :shock:

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:48 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Howdy, but I can't help, hopefully somebody here can… I was expecting a helpful reply! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:54 am 

BD:

No worries . . . somewhat of a "niche" question . . . as I mentioned, the Apple User forum has not offered any tips by this time either . . . . But, I know it is fairly common in linux to upgrade the kernel to the latest kernel while keeping the base install the same . . . just don't know the exact particulars on it . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:34 am 

Is this what you're looking for? I did this method recently going from 15.04 to 15.10 and it worked

Quote:
Upgrading from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or Ubuntu 13.10
To upgrade on a desktop system:

Press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager" (without the quotes) into the command box.
Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '14.04 LTS' is available.
Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
To upgrade on a server system:

Install the update-manager-core package if it is not already installed.
Launch the upgrade tool with the command sudo do-release-upgrade.
Follow the on-screen instructions.
Note that the server upgrade will use GNU screen and automatically re-attach in case of dropped connection problems.

Offline upgrade options via alternate CDs are no longer offered for Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server. Please ensure you have network connectivity to one of the official mirrors or to a locally accessible mirror and follow the instructions above.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:33 am 

mc68k wrote:
Is this what you're looking for? I did this method recently going from 15.04 to 15.10 and it worked

@mc68k:

Thanks for the thought, but, no . . . not wanting to upgrade the base system . . . the 450 MHz is pretty happy with 12.04 . . . I am just trying to upgrade the kernel "stack" to the 14.04 trusty version. I'm not sure, but I think that will change to a "faster" kernel, but I won't have to go through the problems of full upgrade . . . like, needing to make an xorg.conf file, needing to fix losing sound . . . jaggy scrolling . . . . 12.04 is really the ***best*** OS for PPC computers . . . it's fine . . . . I'm just trying to get a little more "speed" out of the ToriOS/JWM DE . . . but stay in 12.04 until it isn't getting any updates at all . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:44 pm 

Ubuntu doesn't provide what you want, so I don't think apt-get will help you do it. The only way I know to update without resorting to trickery is to:
apt-get update
apt-get install update-manager-core
do-release-upgrade

But that is going to update your release to the new version.

Ubuntu doesn't release the newer kernels for older releases like yours, so apt-get with the standard update servers won't help you. You'd have to apt-get from another server, then use that to compile a different kernel, then cross your fingers and toes and hope that all your old software & drivers will work with the newer release (which is routinely a big fat negative - new kernel, like 2.4 vs. 2.6 or 2.6 vs. 3.0, means new drivers).

Best I could suggest is:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

But dist-upgrade is - to my knowledge - only going to upgrade within your distribution.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:36 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Ubuntu doesn't provide what you want, so I don't think apt-get will help you do it.
But that is going to update your release to the new version.
But dist-upgrade is - to my knowledge - only going to upgrade within your distribution.

@MB:

Thanks for the info; yes, dist-upgrade will only pull updates from within the base install . . . but, there is a range of kernel upgrades that are accessible . . . . I'm thinking that adding a ppa or something like that, like adding a "port" in Software Sources APT line, can get you into the next LTS version of kernels . . . without blowing up the system in any major way. I've been hanging out of various linux forums for 4+ years and I've seen people refer to doing this . . . and, there may be written instructions out there on how to . . . just haven't found them yet.

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:35 am 

Got an answer from Lubuntu User list-serve that looks pretty good, perhaps my only question is whether I need to mention "powerpc" somewhere or whether "generic" will cover that aspect . . . but, thanks to "J?rn Sch??yan" on the list . . . I might be a step closer to having the trusty kernel running in precise base install . . . . Also don't know if adding the "Xorg & Mesa" stuff will mean I have to add an xorg.conf file . . . ??? But, at this point on the ST it's mostly for farting around . . . even my iBook crashed FF while fiddling around a tad on FB this AM . . . . But, always appreciate the responses . . . .

Code:
> sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-trusty
>
> If you want the complete graphics/driver stack including Xorg and Mesa:
>
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends
linux-generic-lts-trusty linux-image-generic-lts-trusty
linux-headers-generic-lts-trusty xserver-xorg-lts-trusty
libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-trusty libgles2-mesa-lts-trusty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:24 am 

this might work, looks just like what you posted:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
# List available versions
sudo apt-cache search linux-image-generic-lts
linux-image-generic-lts-quantal - Generic Linux kernel image
linux-image-generic-lts-raring - Generic Linux kernel image
linux-image-generic-lts-saucy - Generic Linux kernel image
linux-image-generic-lts-trusty - Generic Linux kernel image
# Install one
sudo apt-get install -y linux-image-generic-lts-trusty
sudo reboot

http://openstack.prov12n.com/installing ... ntu-12-04/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:31 am 

@mc68k:

OK, thanks for the follow-up . . . looks like the Openstack data just shows the way to search for all available options . . . and then picking one . . . and adding "-y"???? that wasn't included in "j?rn"'s info??

One question I have remaining is whether I need to stipulate "powermac" somewhere in there, or whether "generic" will find the right items for PPC?? And, still mulling over whether or not to just do the "linux-image" aspect or the whole 9 yards . . . it literally took 15 minutes to do the process of logging into the OS, log into Gmail to get the notification email and then log into this forum . . . very, uh . . . slow . . . . . :snail:

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:39 pm 

I haven't played with powerpc ubuntu since fiesty fawn on a ibook g3 many years ago. it was even hard then haha

If you do a
Code:
uname -r
do you get -generic or -powerpc ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:18 pm 

mc68k wrote:
I haven't played with powerpc ubuntu since fiesty fawn on a ibook g3 many years ago. it was even hard then haha

If you do a
Code:
uname -r
do you get -generic or -powerpc ?

Appreciate the reply . . . I'm over in the OSX partition right now, but, last I checked, fairly recently since trying to figure out if I can do this, that brought "3.2.0-92-powerpc-smp" . . . so that doesn't look like "-generic" will do it . . . ????

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:43 pm 

Looks like there is some powerpc known issues for each release
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIss ... rusty_Tahr

Modifying your Lubuntu user list commands:

Code:
linux-powerpc-smp-lts-trusty linux-image-powerpc-smp-lts-trusty
linux-powerpc-smp-lts-trusty xserver-xorg-lts-trusty

Purely a guess though :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:55 pm 

mc68k wrote:
Looks like there is some powerpc known issues for each release
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIss ... rusty_Tahr

Modifying your Lubuntu user list commands:

Code:
linux-powerpc-smp-lts-trusty linux-image-powerpc-smp-lts-trusty
linux-powerpc-smp-lts-trusty xserver-xorg-lts-trusty

Purely a guess though :D

Appreciate the "punt" . . . a week or so back I was running different options thru synaptic to see if it would pull anything up, and I tried "xx -lts-trusty-powerpc-smp" and that did not work. So, when I flip back to linux-world I'll test that out in synaptic and see what it shows with the "powerpc" before the trusty.

The gentleman on the ToriOS team who shot me the debs to set up ToriOS seems to be thinking that the 14.04 kernels are not in the PPC repos . . . so this is possibly a futile mission . . . but, I'll fiddle with it a bit more . . . I'm just trying to keep the 450 MHz in play for "basic" stuff like emails . . . and fast peek at FB . . . it's just a tad overwhelmed by having to do that . . . was hoping that kernel upgrade might get it.

On the KnownIssues page, right, that lends support to my idea of not running the Xserver stuff or the Mesa stuff . . . since it recommends "downgrading" the xserver package to 12.04 . . . and various possible problems with Mesa . . . I don't really need "acceleration" . . . getting too old for that stuff . . . slow and steady is just fine--right now though it's molasses and erratic . . . need more power Scottie . . . more powwwwweeerrrr!!!!! :whip:

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:52 pm 

I don't think you'll have much to worry about as far as Mesa, since it's used for 3D acceleration and GPGPU functions, and your Rage128 is barely a 3D accelerator.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:47 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I don't think you'll have much to worry about as far as Mesa, since it's used for 3D acceleration and GPGPU functions, and your Rage128 is barely a 3D accelerator.

Agreed . . . question is whether new or newer versions of Mesa would cause some problems??? Known issues seems to be saying the newer xserver-xorg package wouldn't work very well for PPC . . . . Anyway, it's possibly all moot . . . if "powerpc-smp" packages are for some reason not in PPC repos . . . . I would have to go for the full upgrade to 14.04 . . . which I think is somewhat challenging for my 933 MHz iBook . . . even with ToriOS--so, I'm not thinking the ST is going to make the jump??? Just the kernel, please . . . .

e.e.p.