XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:58 am 

Gents:

Ran a search and nothing came back on this question so posting it here . . . . Since my last question about issues getting LM16 64bit installed I have managed to get an .iso with a matching md5sum number and the install then went fine. So, I've got the '10 anti-glare screen MBP cut into three disks, one for SnoLep, one for ML, and one for Linux Mint . . . the usual MO is to have FF running with 3 or 4 tabs open, and Mail . . . and that's about it, if bored I might run a chess app or Go app for short periods. Doing that in LM16--just FF & Mail-- after a little bit the computer gets pretty warm . . . but over in 10.8.6 it's basically cool w/o hearing much in terms of fan noise in either case . . . .

If I was watching a movie or something I might understand the warm leatherette feeling, but the comparison is noticeable between the OSX sides and the LM side. It's not enough to be thinking there is no temp control, but, perhaps the question is, is that "not good"? Or, it's just the nature of the beast for LM to run warmer . . . ?? Haven't had a chance to test comparo my Xubun 12.04 running in my iBook to see if it gets warm . . . . Might be that 12.04 being more OS9-like is using less resources than LM16?

Any thoughts? No worries? Or it ain't good, don't use it because it's baking your system? Haven't noticed that LM15 or 13 ran the unit this warm . . . but with LM upgrades it seems like with each step forward there is some kind of commensurate glitch to try to deal with or overcome . . . . :?

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:29 am 
Benevolent Dictator

So, I guess there's no temp monitoring or fan control SW in Linux?

My guess is that the heat is not good at all

I guess you could monitor the fan speed & heat in OSX under like apps & presume from there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:15 am 

BD:

Thanks for the reply . . . I guess if I knew what I was doing in the CLI there might be a way to check temps and fan control. I recall I had something similar in the iBook and I found some ***free**** apps to check that . . . might have been because of some PPC linux issues with the fan running loudly all of the time. So, this might be the opposite problem.

Next time I'm back in LM I'll have to run a search in "Software packages" or "Synaptic" and see if I can find a GUI app for monitoring temps . . . . I think in 10.4.11 I have some Dashboard app that checks the front and rear fans and so forth . . . maybe I can get that set up in 10.8.6er to see what Apple wants for temp control, and then compare with what LM is doing. There probably is a temp control file somewhere in the system that is likely to be edited to bring the fan on earlier . . . everything in Linux is adjustable, it just takes time and attention to do that . . . and, I don't have too much of it lately . . . .

But, thanks again for your response . . . forgot about my dashboard temp monitor thingie/widget . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:01 am 
Benevolent Dictator

There's also...

Temperature Monitor...

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 am 

You may need to go a little more specific than a generic app, at least if you want to control the fans. While you can monitor temperatures without any problems since the temperature probes are fairly universal, the fan controllers are unique to Apple and different than other manufacturers. I'm not saying someone out there hasn't done it, if it exists for Windows its got to exist for Linux, I'm just saying you'll need to look for someone who says their controller software specifically supports Apple hardware.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:15 pm 

Gents:

BD: Thanks for the link, I might have that one on the iBook . . . seems to be having some issues on the download . . . might be bad internet here . . . 3.5 megs taking 25 mins . . . ???? Probably have to abort that mission . . . and check back later . . . . [Edit: hours later, no issues with the download/install . . . so it's giving me the read outs for the various temps . . . so that will give me some idea of what Apple is choosing for its hardware . . . .]

MB: Thanks for the follow-up, figured that most anything Apple is proprietary . . . but over in the linux realm it is possible to adjust the temp number that brings the fan on . . . . I looked into that with the iBook, but I don't like messing with that kind of hardware stuff . . . . So, right, I'm disinclined to try to mess with the system, but, first monitor the actual temps that the system is running . . . and then see if LM can allow some temp adjust for when the fans begin to blow, etc . . . . I'll have to try to find where I posted about the iBook/Linux fan blowing noisiness issues and see if there were any threads linked to it, etc.

e.e.p.