XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:28 pm 

Folks/BDAq:

Been awhile since I've had an issue that needed posting . . . but, here for the most part someone will reply, which is appreciated. This is an issue that perhaps spans the "linux" category and the "intel mac" category, but I'm posting it here since the last post seems to be a long time ago . . . .

Problem in a nutshell is that in trying to burn the Linux Mint 16 MATE .iso file to DVD, my procedure of dragging the image to DU and then clicking "burn" has failed several times in recent attempt. I tried downloading the 1.2 GB file 3 times in Mountain Lion partition of my MBPro, then thinking that that function had been written out of ML, I rebooted into my Sno Lep partition, where I have previously burned quite a number of Live DVD .iso's to boot and test various Linux flavors . . . and even there this time it failed. So that was four separate downloads from a couple different mirrors. Each time I 2x clicked on the file I got the same error warning . . . --"Disc image can't be opened--no mountable file system." The first time I had just dragged the file into DU and after doing its thing for five minutes it finally gave up with "image could not be burned."

So, this is a change from what had worked only a few months ago, in terms of using intel OSX DU to burn .iso files that lead to good bootable DVDs . . . the PPC DU could not do that. The only other thought that I'll be testing out in the next few days, was to re-install LM13 MATE into a third partition and test to see whether the .iso can be burned by its own system. Took me a few hours to get all the back updates installed yesterday . . . and I've got the .iso moved to an Ext HD; so the next test will be to move it over to LM and see if it will burn . . . if that doesn't work I'll assume it's some problem with the LM .iso image making process???

Any other avid Linux/dual boot OSX folks have any similar experiences with the recent incarnations of LM 16??

e.e.p.

Last edited by este.el.paz on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:59 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
"Disc image can't be opened--no mountable file system."

That sounds like it's may be the fault of Apple dropping SMB & NTFS support in later OSX versions…

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6791&p=83673&hilit=ntfs#p83673

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:50 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Do you have a link fot that one?

This one mounted perfectly here…

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=143

linuxmint-16-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:14 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
"Disc image can't be opened--no mountable file system."

That sounds like it's may be the fault of Apple dropping SMB & NTFS support in later OSX versions…

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6791&p=83673&hilit=ntfs#p83673

@BDAq:

Thanks for the reply buddy, but looks like you are staying up a bit late . . . a man's gotta have sleep to keep going in life. Anyway, appreciate the thoughts . . . on the "apple dropping SMB & NTFS support" idea . . . would that be retro-actively reaching across to my 10.6.8 partition? I was thinking that they had dropped something in 10.8.5, which I just got around to right before they released Mavericks (timing is everything) . . . so the failure of what had worked before wasn't a total surprise. But, in falling back to 10.6.8 which I like for its rock solid stability and finding the same "new" issue . . . I became perplexed. Posted a questrion on the LM forum about it, got a number of views, but as usual no replies . . . if there is some problem with how they are formatting the .iso's I doubt if they would cop to it.

But, in terms of the SMB & NFTS . . . I'm not totally sure what that is, if SMB is "samba" I don't know about or use it; but if NFTS is part of OSX DU's ability to format to FAT32?? that seemed to be still do-able in 10.8. I wouldn't have enough CLI chops to follow MBs instructions to get MacFuse?? or follow what he did. I don't have any other apps than DU installed in both 10.6 & 10.8 partitions . . . .

Also, thanks for the link to 32 bit Cinn . . . my unit can run 64 bit, but I'm not bothering with Cinn any more . . . a better name for it should be "Siddamon" . . . it promises a lot, but it's just not too stable--I was checking out the MATE edition, before the 16 version of XFCE comes out. For LM 15 I wound up with XFCE edition; this time I went back to LM13 MATE, only because it has the Floating Feet screensaver that I also posted here about awhile back--it's just hilarious watching those GNOME feet . . . what can I say.

If I do get this .iso burned I may update to 16, or more likely I'll wait until 17 LTS comes out. In terms of what I downloaded I used a couple of mirrors from their site; the last one from the link I'll include, "Secondary mirrors" in USA using "PSGNet" . . . that mirror worked for me before, whereas others did not. I mostly don't check the Checksum5??? . . . haven't had to for the previous many times I've done it, if it doesn't mount I trash it and go on, but this time I wound up trashing it 3 times, maybe a fourth.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=146

Thanks for your thoughts, and for just being there, much appreciated,
e.e.p.
[Edit: The other approach I haven't learned how to do is to try the Torrents dealie, since most of the time I'm in OSX and we don't have Torrents (as standard fare) . . . I don't have any experience using that; but LM seems to encourage that, may get around to experimenting with it in the coming weeks.]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:43 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Come to think of it, DVDs aren't likely SMB or NTFS.

After 10.6.8 Apple started messing with those formats.

I was one who viewed your post over there during my research.

For Torrents on mac, many recommend Transmission, but I use qBittorrent myself...

http://www.qbittorrent.org/

Is that the one you're having trouble with...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:06 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Come to think of it, DVDs aren't likely SMB or NTFS.

After 10.6.8 Apple started messing with those formats.

I was one who viewed your post over there during my research.

For Torrents on mac, many recommend Transmission, but I use qBittorrent myself...

http://www.qbittorrent.org/

Is that the one you're having trouble with...

@BDAq:

Thanks for the thoughts on Torrents in Mac . . . I'll check into it. But, right the link to the "146" is what I'm not finding to be mount-able or burn-able in 10.6.8 or 10.8.5 . . . .

No problem on the "doing research" on my post at LM, I'm used to seeing many, many views there w/o getting a reply; might be nobody knows, or just don't have time to fiddle with it . . . it is what it is. Today I won't have time to do too much with this, like messing with Torrents or trying to burn the .iso using LM13 . . . tomorrow might be a tad better. But, if you get a chance to see if you can mount one of those 64 bit .iso files, it might be "interesting" . . . I think MATE is a bit more stable than Cinn . . . IMHO.

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:15 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I'm downloading it via uTorrent on my G5/10.5.8 as we speak,, about 1/4 done as of now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:28 am 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, 64 Bit one gives same error... no mountable File System.

I can see references to EFI & Apple_HFS within the file, but I suspect the file is messed up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:02 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
OK, 64 Bit one gives same error... no mountable File System.

I can see references to EFI & Apple_HFS within the file, but I suspect the file is messed up.

@BDAq:

Thanks for the follow-up . . . seems like even with Torrents it takes over an hour to download 1.2 GB file? Still, better than the 2+ hours it was taking for my DSL . . . .

Anyway, seems like your findings suggest a problem on the LM end with the 64 bit .iso as I also discovered; but you found the 32 bit file to be OK . . . . Perhaps I'll post that someone else found a problem with it in OSX when I get a chance; but, I guess for my testing purposes I probably wouldn't need the 64 bit .iso, the 32 bit would probably run the GUI stuff well enough? It's just time consuming to download something that ultimately I'd want to be in 64 bit . . . .

It's interesting that this .iso file has been LM officially "approved" for release, but from my quick search of the LM forum I didn't see anyone else speaking to the "no mountable file system" error . . . ???? It's all part of the wonderful home spun world of Linux I suppose . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:20 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think 32 bit will be fine for testing, plenty fast for GUI.

Off to see if an earlier 64 bit version will work... if I can find one. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:08 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I think 32 bit will be fine for testing, plenty fast for GUI.

Off to see if an earlier 64 bit version will work... if I can find one. :)

@BDAq:

I've had LM15 64 bit Cinn & XFCE installed and running with no issues with the .iso, and I had several LM13 versions in 64 bit--Cinn, MATE, XFCE, as well as several Ubuntu flvors all in 64 bit . . . burned from .iso in OSX DU. And I've had numerous .iso flavors for PPC that I burned in my MBPro . . . which are probably 32 bit . . . . It was . . . fairly routine.

I don't know if you could find an USA mirror for the 64 bit LM16 that would work, I tried about three . . . didn't do Univ or Maryland because I'm on the west coast, but I tried U of OK . . . which seemed to break while downloading . . . . But, if you do find one that works . . . I'm all ears. I would think if one is messed up they all would be, must be something that OSX checks that PC doesn't check . . . that flags it as a "problem" . . . .

e.e.p.
[Edit: Somewhere in the LM "Downloads" tab is an "all versions" tab?? Somehow I found a page of all the .iso files from most of the recent incarnations going back to LM11 . . . and the Torrents page has quite a number of web pages with all the versions, as well . . . .]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Nope, all the ones I tried get the same error, even tried...

linuxmint-16-mate-dvd-nocodecs-64bit.iso

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:01 pm 

@BDAq:

Thanks for trying, probably something very basic that has been done to the 64 bit file that makes a problem for OSX. I did post your findings over on the LM forum post . . . maybe in a couple months Clem will post something about it being something they fouund.

I'll wait until the XFCE 64 bit version comes out and try that one before going for the 32 bit . . . although as you mentioned the 32 bit would probably meet my needs/demands for a Linux system . . . . Generally the XFCE editions have been more stable and problem free, whereas the Cinn and MATE versions seem to have "issues." This might have something to do with the MATE-ism of it.

No need to spend any more time on this, I'll post back if/when something develops . . . or doesn't; I appreciate your help, showing that it isn't just me . . . . : - 0

e.e.p.

[Edit: If I don't get back here beforehand, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, if I do get back here before then, ignore this message until Christmastime, etc.]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:47 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, thanks & good luck! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmm, both Parallels 9 & Virtual box could use/mount, & use the 64 bit version to install & run it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:52 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Hmm, both Parallels 9 & Virtual box could use/mount, & use the 64 bit version to install & run it.

@BDAq:

Interesting, a month or so I was discussing the relative merits of those applications to run the Linux OS w/in OSX, but I wound up doing the separate install using rEFInd as the boot manager.

So, in other words both of those apps can "see" that the .iso is "an operating system" . . . but, now, OSX DU can't?

Well, I think the better half has an older, 4 or 5 year old, version of Parallels around . . . I might have even downloaded VB, but then the instructions looked "complicated" . . . just seemed easier to reboot into whichever system I want for the day. We'll have to see how this day goes, I might get a chance to try to burn the .iso in the LM13 system today . . . the urgency factor has dropped down--figuring that it isn't well tested, etc.

So far no post back on my thread over on the LM forum . . . I did see other issues about the system "not booting" . . . so it's just the usual sheit storm over there with each new upgrade . . . . : - )

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:24 am 
Benevolent Dictator

VB is free…
Attachment:
VBmintSM.gif
VBmintSM.gif [ 68.72 KiB | Viewed 3503 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:01 am 

@BDAq:

Yes, VB is free . . . I think I downloaded it, but didn't install . . . made the mistake of reading the lengthy User Guide, making it look complicated. Usually I use my old mantra from my construction trades days of, "Install first, then read instructions . . . " which I learned from observing my competition . . . .

I guess VB would be some variation of Classic, which was handy to be able to boot OS9 apps, while in Ten . . . . I just don't have much need for multi-system beyond what I've already got . . . the two OSX flavors are just there to keep up with the browsers . . . 10.6.8 is perfectly fine for me . . . and then Linux is there for when OSX leaves the hardware behind . . . . Like, right now I'm in Xubun 12.04 PPC in my G4 iBook . . . a little glitchy, but not too bad, and quicker than 10.4.11 . . . most of the reputable browsers have left Tiger and moved on to Leopard, etc.

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:37 am 
Benevolent Dictator

TenFourFox is the most up to date browser for our PPCs, they even have G4 & G5 optimized versions...

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

SeaMonkey seems pretty fast also, with many options...

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:48 am 

BDAq:

Been there, done that, etc. I have both, Ten4Fox is fine, but from update to update there are noticeable speed changes . . . for the slower (in comparo to Linux's FF) . . . . And, I've had SeaMonkey since it was Mozilla, but they tain't supporting 10.4.11 any more . . . so for instance their rendering of Gmail is very basic . . . whereas with Linux FF I get the themes and all that . . . just not so good on Flash. You know, no happy medium in life . . . .

A buddy lent me some of his old Mac install discs and he had a Leopard "grey" disc, but it didn't seem to work for either my iBook 933Mhz or my 800MHz G4 iMac using the Leopard Assist app . . . so I know the black discs should work for all machines, but between laptop or desktop . . . what else would a grey disc install on? I'm not against upgrading to Leopard on the PPC machines, but just not worth the still full price from Apple, or looking at eBay trying to figure out which one doesn't have some kids boogers all over it . . . . So, I'm just riding it out between Tiger and Xubuntu 12.04 until the machines pop a gusset . . . . Still trying to figure out if I want to do a Hackintosh project, or buy a refurbed MacPro, or buy a "gamerPC" with lots of RAM and use Unibeast or whatever to get OSX on it . . . a few other things to do. But, the iMac is fading and I'd like to be able to do some photography stuff on a middling machine, don't need the quickest latest, as you might be able to tell from my G4 mini-collection . . . . : - 0

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Leopard "grey" disc

All 10.5 gray discs are Intel only, as are 99% of the 10.4 gray discs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:26 pm 

Ahhhhhhhhhhh krappola . . . I thought the grey's were OEM original equipment specific . . . once again I have to dwell in being wrong . . . . Oh well, it's part and parcel with being cheap . . . I was adopting the, "I'll buy every other OS upgrade" . . . when they were $130 bucks a pop . . . . Now, with Mav being "free" that's a lot more affordable . . . ."

Couple other things to do yet today, but maybe later I'll be able to try to mess with the .iso file in LM13.

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:41 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
I thought the grey's were OEM original equipment specific .

Well... you were right, only problem is that Apple wasn't making any PPC Macs when 10.5 came out, & 10.4 was only at 10.4.2 when they quit making the last PPC Macs, so there are very few PPC gray 10.4 Discs, & while many are machine specific, some cover a range of Macs released at the same time. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:22 pm 

Thanks for the insights and support . . . I was "right" . . . but, for the wrong reasons . . . . : - ) It's sort of interesting to see the "history" . . . I think my iBook came with Panther, but didn't seem like it was too much later that Tiger came out, I got the black install disc to potentially upgrade my iMac which came with 10.1.1/9.2 . . . but, tested it on my iBook . . . . Actually thinking back it could have been in less than two years that they switched to Intel processor . . . because I was in a program and bought the iBook for it, and around that time the next two year group were already using the MacBook . . . . Leaving us PPC people in the dust . . . since then seems like "incremental" changes to the OS and hardware . . . except I haven't checked out the "Retina" dealie, maybe that's "revolutionary"????

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:35 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

History of OSX with release dates. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_OS_X

Also...

Mac OS: Versions, builds included with PowerPC Macs (since 1998)...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2191

Mac OS: Versions, builds included with IntelMacs...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1159