XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:27 pm 

Good to know . . . you are hilarious. Do you ever communicate with Kappy from the Apple forums? I'm sensing a certain similarity in character . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:26 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I love Kappy, great helper/knowledge, I even disagreed with him one time... I forget who was right, but nobody was upset! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:14 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I love Kappy, great helper/knowledge, I even disagreed with him one time... I forget who was right, but nobody was upset! :)

Just one time? : - )) Yeah, very good guy . . . but, I'm sure I mentioned before, both of you guys have been helping me for many years . . . back at least to the 800MHz G4 iMac days . . . whenever that era was . . . or however many short months it lived . . . both of you were there when the other one wasn't offering assistance, or at least giving some pointers. And, key point, . . . without insulting the newbie as seems to be the way it is on most of the forums these days . . . . Hugz to you buddy.

Anyway, right now I've booted into my LM13 partition and it seems like it might be burning the .iso . . . it says "100% done" but it's now "creating checksum image" . . . whenever that gets done . . . and uh, the dishes get washed, then I'll see if it will boot up for the test mode . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:24 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sweet...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:30 pm 

BD's been helping most of the people here since bbs.xlr8yourmac.com days, which puts it around the first Power Macs, maybe even Quadras.

:D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:50 pm 

I think my wife had a Quadra . . . long before I thought computers were going to amount to anything . . . based upon my high school computer class with the stacks of punch cards . . . didn't foresee that turning into anything fun . . . . Again with being so very wrong . . . . She let me touch the keyboard a couple times . . . hilarious thinking about it now, probably had, what 100 MHz Processor, with 15 MB RAM?? and 100MB HD??? Just kidding, you guys don't have to post a link with the data . . . I'm jus sayin' . . . it was her "precious" . . . .

Brasero Disc Burner is still . . . creating . . . I set it for 2x based upon some previous advice from PPC Linux folks . . . I'm over in the MBPro, but, rather be slow and steady and have it boot first time, than fast and dirty and have a "glitch" . . . . Looks like might be reallllllllllllllyyyyyyyy slow, maybe another hour . . . . :whip:

e.e.p.

[A half hour later I checked the Brasero Disc icon and it showed that there was going to be over 4 hours to "create the checksum image" . . . but showing the burn as "100% done" . . . summoning all the skills that Google search can provide brought me a post suggesting that it was a waste of time. I canceled it and tried to eject the disc--it wouldn't eject. Figured I'd reboot with the C key held and see what happens . . . and viola . . . I'm typing this edit booted up in the MATE 64 bit test DVD!!!! A little more eye candy, nice desktop photos, but not too much more than the LM13 MATE I've got installed . . . . There was some problem that cropped up in LM13 that I posted about here I believe, where the mouse cursor would jump suddenly and erase everything that was typed prior to it . . . so I nukled and paved . . . and then went for the LM15 MATE . . . losing my GNOME Floating Feet, replaced with the unamusing MATE logo . . . which continues in the LM16 version . . . . So, anyway, managed to get it burned and booted, so I know how to do it for the XFCE version that should be out in a few weeks??? But, I'll probably just hang until the LTS LM17 comes out before I waste time installing it . . . or wait for a rainy day in SoCal . . . .

It would be interesting to know why OSX DU wouldn't mount or burn the 64 bit .iso anymore, when only 4 or 5 months ago, it did. Anyway, Peace-out, etc.] :classic-eek:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:29 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
It would be interesting to know why OSX DU wouldn't mount or burn the 64 bit .iso anymore, when only 4 or 5 months ago, it did.

Any idea what version of OSX that was?

If it was an earlier version of Mate 64, do you have a link to that… or that version to test if to still mounts?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:43 pm 

They probably changed something in how they're creating the .iso files from the last time you burned one successfully. You can test this by downloading an old iso (though from where is an open question) or (best option) by having an old iso lying around from the last time you burned it successfully. If the old file works fine but the new version doesn't, that means they've changed how they're making the .iso.

To be honest, I almost never burn DVDs/CDs any more, the last time I did it was because Boot Camp insisted. I just use utilities on Windows/Linux to copy an ISO to a flash drive in such a way that the flash drive is bootable. I wonder if there's a similar utility for OSX?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:04 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
It would be interesting to know why OSX DU wouldn't mount or burn the 64 bit .iso anymore, when only 4 or 5 months ago, it did.

Any idea what version of OSX that was?

If it was an earlier version of Mate 64, do you have a link to that… or that version to test if to still mounts?

@BDAq:

Well, I tried it in my new to me 10.8.5 partition which failed with 3 different downloads from a couple different mirrors; seems like in the past not all mirrors are created equally and corrupted files or broken downloads occur. And, then I switched back to 10.6.8, which was what had worked burning .iso's for the last several years. I do have in all probability some older 64 bit files stored on ext HD . . . I could "test" them, but since they burned before in OSX I don't think it's something that changed in 10.6.8 particularly . . . ??? Pressed for time for the next couple days, so it's not at the top of the list . . . .

@MB:

Thanks for the thoughts, right, something has changed . . . perhaps something having to do with their new "Install to USB Flashdrive" feature, new for LM16 . . . . Which might be easier/quicker than burning to DVD . . . when I first started in Linux, having no real background or education in computer technology, no CLI chops . . . using "dd" still remains something that is "unknown" unless someone is walking me through it; which in Linux world are few. I did use DU to transfer the ML installer to USB flash . . . I might play around with it to see if I can get this .iso over to one. To my frugal mind it seems like DVDs are "cheaper" than buying a flash drive . . . probably isn't accurate . . . but something very comforting about "burning" a DVD . . . to, uh, warm the soul on a chilly early winter's eve . . . . :roll:

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:43 pm 

DVDs are far more expensive.

You can get an 8GB flash drive for under $10 and use it for thousands of images. How many DVDs can you get for $10? Then there's the joy of wasting CDs/DVDs when an error occurs during a burn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:32 pm 
Master

MonkeyBoy wrote:
How many DVDs can you get for $10?

Fifty, unless they're on sale.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:14 am 

Anonymous wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:
How many DVDs can you get for $10?

Fifty, unless they're on sale.

- Anonymous

Gents:

Right . . . I would think per unit the DVD would be less . . . whether it is less useful or efficient than USB is something else. Being trained by father Steve to "hold the C key down" when booting the install (wasCD) DVD . . . just makes me find that way is easier when it comes to Linux installs.

Like I was saying earlier in the thread, it seems like LM16 now has a feature to make bootable install transfers to USB . . . but I still have a few DVDs left over from my last purchase. My last online purcahse of a Patriot Rage XT USB flash drive wasn't expensive, but didn't think they would make something that would block using the adjacent USB port with its horizontal girth . . . rendering it less useful than a DVD . . . .

We work with what God has given us . . . :geek:

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:04 pm 

I prefer to hold down Option at startup, which has existed since B&W G3s... if not Beige G3s.

I don't recall it being present on x500/x600 "Old World" Power Macs (e.g. 7500, 9600, etc.), but since they weren't USB bootable it's a bit of a moot point here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:25 pm 

@MB:

Yes, the option key is always . . . an option, even a viable option. But, in PPC using the option key is a bit more time consuming, waiting for the little clock to spin around takes maybe a minute??? It's probably the same difference as the C key in the Intel systems to use option. That's what I use in my triple boot MBPro to switch from one OS to another . . . it's nice to have "options."

e.e.p.