XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:56 pm 

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=129344&p=707921#p707921

Gents:

I searched the forum with a couple variations on my question first and "no results found" . . . so I'm posting it as a new topic. About a month ago, I've posted this question on the Linux MInt forum, asking for some insight into not just why this problem is happening, but some ways to fix the problem, and so far . . . no answers that could lead to a solution to it have been offered there. A couple weeks ago I posted on the Ubuntu Apple user forum, same thing; so now I'm trying here, where in the past I've gotten not only replies . . . but actual help to fix the problem. This problem might be more rare, but I did see quite a few others posting about erratic cursor movement in Google search . . . but again, no answers found there. According to the sources list Linux Mint is essentially Ubuntu hotted up, so the problem might be there? Or, in something that LM has added? I'm pasting a couple of the first posts on the LM forum, I think I moved it from "newbie" to "software issues" between the two pasted here . . . .

Anyway--to make it short, typing, like I am now, usually in an online forum or Gmail online, in a MBPro, and running LM13 MATE 64 bit--suddenly cursor will jump . . . back in the text previously typed . . . and many times it will highlight all the text in between, and then erase it. If I catch it, I can ctrl-z it back, but if I miss it and hit another key . . . the text is gone. I've lost 20 minutes of work that way; like to figure it out and fix it. Problem happens in Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, GNOME, and Ubuntu DEs . . . and I thought it was a FF issue, but problem also happens in Midori as well . . . don't have any other browser loaded. Any insights into the issue would be appreciated. The problem has happened with some regularity, now probably at least 15 times--I've updated and upgraded the system a couple times with no changes to the problem.

======================================================================
LM forum posts [software isues]:

et al:

Moving this post over to a new topic, I searched the forum here, as well as google, and saw reference to mouse/cursor moving erratically, or losing control of mouse, and there was a bug report from Sept '12, that I couldn't find buried in the list of bug reports with a similar issue as mine, but no solutions found. The problem is that the mouse/cursor will suddenly jump back in an email, usually in a browser, and the typing will just start there; and more annoyingly, sometimes the text between where it was and where it ends up, will be erased. It might be in this post, after almost getting to the end, suddenly it will all be erased. I couldn't find any insights into this problem, so I'm posting here. Actually there was a post from someone in LM14 with the jumping cursor problem, the answer given by someone was to update the xserver-xorg-core file . . . I checked mine in synaptic and it's as new as it can be for LM13. Perhaps someone can offer some insights? The code above is showing the errors that came when I tried to install Chromium . . . in both Synaptic and Terminal.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Previous post moved to here [newbie questions]]:
Yes, problem happened again yesterday while typing in a forum post, so in FF . . . no spare fingers touching the touchpad, just suddenly the cursor moved back in the text, erasing almost everything that was written . . . . Fortunately I was awake and noticed what happened and could ctrl-z it back. But, this really isn't acceptable behavior from an OS, is this passive-aggression from somebody where a glitch is placed so that we keep it real?
Anyway, in the interest of trying to figure out if it's an FF problem I tried synaptic to install another browser, I tried chromium, but got the above error(s) . . . seamonkey did not show up . . . . Is FF the only browser that works with LM13? I did see a post somewhere about how the cursor will up and move 90 degrees, but couldn't find it again and couldn't remember if it had to do with apple computers or any computer. So, haven't been able to confine the problem to being cursor related, touchpad, or browser . . . and then it seems like FF is the only big box browser we have?? I like to have several browsers to choose from depending on my mood . . . .

e.e.p.
P.S. Later that same day: Managed to install Midori thru synaptic and fiddling around getting it set up . . . looks like it was a 3MB download, seems fast enough, doesn't seem to have auto-fill for log in windows. I'll be testing it to see if the same erratic cursor and lost data problem happens in Midori, or if it's just confined to FF. [Comment]: The problem happened in Midori as well yesterday, so it's not just FF that is causing the problem.
===================================================
There are more posts in the thread, mostly from me.

Thanks,

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:07 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hi, my first guess is the Apple pointing device, they make the most unreliable pointing devices of all time.

Do you have a cheap USB Mouse to test with?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:18 pm 

BDAq:

Appreciate the conversation . . . I do have a definitely cheap USB mouse plugged into the laptop. The problem though happens while typing--I have "disable touchpad while typing checked off," but the problem doesn't seem to be related to accidental swipe of touchpad. Lately it seems more to do with hitting the "shift" key . . . it happened several times while typing my recent emails on this forum today. But, otherwise, not sure what you mean by "pointing device" for the cursor in a text-editor/word-processor window . . . which is where it happens. It's not when mousing around . . . which I guess is another problem people in Linux complain about. I haven't used an Apple mouse since the first one button one that came with the G4 iMac . . . . Logitech mostly. Does mouse driver influence the typing cursor action . . . this is clearly a "bug" and I filed a bug through the LM site . . . but nobody has commented back to me about it . . . weeks later.

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:22 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Several 3rd party Mouse/KB drivers do interfere in OSX, not sure on Linux, but I suspect the same... does it not work without the drivers???

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:39 pm 

Yeah I would try disabling the built-in touchpad completely and see if the problem vanishes. At least then you'd know it was that piece of hardware and/or (more likely) the drivers interacting with it that are at fault.

My knowledge of how to do just that on Linux is undoubtedly seriously out of date, the last time I was serious about Linux was on the RedHat ES platform, which even back then was considered an "old" Linux because RedHat intentionally didn't release major updates frequently for it. The idea was to create a stable working platform that everyone could build upon, given that projects often take years to write for, over the constantly updating chaos that is normal Linux.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 pm 

BDAq:

Haven't messed with the drivers in LM13 . . . at all. In PPC on the iMac we had to retro install a "discontinued" video driver which required the driver to be "complied" which was kind of interesting to see in the Terminal. But over in LM13 I haven't done anything much except add DEs and a few applications . . . otherwise it's a stock install. Didn't spend much time in the LM partition until recently because I was doing a big project in OSX, then once I started doing more of my daily email stuff in LM a few months ago, then this problem started showing up . . . . In fact it just happened again, for the third time today (seems to happen more in FF/Cinnamon), when I started typing "Didn't" the cursor jumped back to between the D and the E and typed the "id" letters there . . . . I erased them, and continued typing and it's OK . . . until the next time it happens. I wouldn't know which driver controls the cursor in a text window . . . I'm still mostly a GUI guy in Linux, not too much "single user" time in the Terminal to know how to diagnose this problem . . . . My words are my identity man, and to have them erased . . . is like taking my identity . . . . : )

@MB: Thanks for the thought . . . haven't disabled the TP completely, there is a GUI function to select "Disable while typing" . . . but, really the problem isn't happening with the TP . . . it seems to be more the keyboard . . . ???

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:56 pm 

este.el.paz wrote:
Gents:...
Anyway--to make it short,...suddenly cursor will jump . . . back in the text previously typed . . . .

Dear e.e.p.,
Not a Gent, but I do have a thought on this, however, I must confess I haven't read your entire original post so this may already have been ruled out.
When I have had erratic cursor issues as you describe, I've found that replacing the mouse batteries sometimes does the trick. If not that, then unplugging and replugging the USB connection - for me it's a USB receiver plugged into a hub, for you - I don't know. I also use USB Logitech mice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:10 pm 

@Mrs H.:
Sorry about the "Gents" then . . . but appreciate your thoughts . . . anyway, mouse is plug in type . . . no batteries. I'm not seeing this as a mouse issue . . . whether or not there are conflicting drivers between mouse controller and Touchpad controller . . . and that internal conflict is causing the problem . . . ??? Don't know. One post on another thread for LM14 mentioned the "xserver-xorg-core" ???? (not sure which it was) needing to be current to solve the problem . . . and a couple weeks ago checked that and it was as up to date as could be in LM13 in synaptic.

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:37 am 

este.el.paz wrote:
@Mrs H.:
Sorry about the "Gents" then . . . but appreciate your thoughts . . . anyway, mouse is plug in type . . . no batteries...
e.e.p.

dear e.e.p.

No offence taken, thanks for the apology nonetheless. Gents is so much more genteel than "guys" and Mr H and I get that all the time and I just wince and he defends me.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't help with your cursed cursor and sorry you are still having the issue.

This bounce to the top may result in another look and another idea.