XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:15 pm 
he who stacks pork

…where do I go from here?

First off, my computing needs are:

• web design (XHTML/CSS)
• web development (PHP/ASP/MySQL/Apache)
• MP3 playing
• graphic resizing/compositing/editing
• DVD playing
• DiVX encoded file playback
• occasional Flash creation (I know, I know, I ain’t going to get this on Lunix)
• web surfing
• email (yahoo, google, .mac)
• .mac account uploading/overwriting/deleting/etc.
• digital camera offloading (as in, transferring pictures from the camera to the computer)
• MiniDV (offloading from camera, editing, compositing, rendering, etc.)
• games
• the occasional resume editing routine in a .DOC format (and occasionally some “never heard of ‘beyond the walls of windows’” people send me MS proprietary stuff)

So, any suggestions as to equivalent softwares I need on my G4 Lunix box? The idea in mind is to see if I can get all my stuff done open source.

Thanks

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:41 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

What are you doing in Linux then Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:30 pm 
Executive Director of the x704.net Think Tank

Seriously. Stop wasting time. Just go build a PC from the OSX86 Hardware Compatibility List.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:02 pm 
he who stacks pork

cancerman wrote:
Seriously. Stop wasting time. Just go build a PC from the OSX86 Hardware Compatibility List.

OK, I’ll PM you with my home address so you can send me a large sum of money.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:04 am 

Either make an offer on Sarah's PC, or get one of these and jump on ebay for the ram and cpu, or check out here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:48 am 
he who stacks pork

Hmm, yeah, errrm… easy for you people with jobs (who don’t have kids and a mortgage) to go about saying, “Yeah, go buy this, and buy some of that while you’re at it!”. I am in between jobs presently. Although $289 for a Linux-ready Dell “dent-n-scratch” box is pretty decent. In fact, $289 is more the maximum of what I would be willing and able to pay. Perhaps it’s time for me to sell some more stuff on eBay. (watch that space within the next day or so)

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:04 am 

Quote:
I am in between jobs presently.

Oh, my bad. No wonder you're almost at 200 posts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:16 pm 

Hey Leo what happened? I thought you had hooked your self up with a good job! Whats going on?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:51 pm 
he who stacks pork

Yeah, me too. I quit both my other jobs for the one job. What was supposed to be a 6 month to permanent position ended up only being three weeks! Sure, the pay was substantially better than working the two jobs, but call me old-fashioned—I’d rather be working instead of talking about working. Anyhow, apparently their problem was that although there was no real mention of it early on (even during the interview process), they needed someone who knows Flash 8 inside and out, so the extent of my thorough experience of Flash 0 through 6 wasn’t good enough (thank you the bad place Macromedia for COMPLETELY changing simple tasks into complex unncessary bullshit). Yeah, the job was supposed to be 95% CSS/HTML design, but apparently the client put too much value on that other 5%. Pity that. So meanwhile, ever since then I have been brushing up on Total Training: Macromedia Flash 8 Professional and Total Training: Advanced Macromedia Flash 8 Professional thanks to a friend of mine who used to work for Adobe (I saved about $700 or so by borrowing them). The downfall is that the training is OVER 200 HOURS Image changed unfortunately is at least 60% of what I would need to be doing with it. Pain in the ass. I sure hope that Adobe has plans to Adobeize Flash soon, so that it will be as easy to use as Premiere or After Effects.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:26 pm 

Quote:
…where do I go from here?

First off, my computing needs are:

• web design (XHTML/CSS)
• web development (PHP/ASP/MySQL/Apache)
• MP3 playing
• graphic resizing/compositing/editing
• DVD playing
• DiVX encoded file playback
• occasional Flash creation (I know, I know, I ain’t going to get this on Lunix)
• web surfing
• email (yahoo, google, .mac)
• .mac account uploading/overwriting/deleting/etc.
• digital camera offloading (as in, transferring pictures from the camera to the computer)
• MiniDV (offloading from camera, editing, compositing, rendering, etc.)
• games
• the occasional resume editing routine in a .DOC format (and occasionally some “never heard of ‘beyond the walls of windows’” people send me MS proprietary stuff)

So, any suggestions as to equivalent softwares I need on my G4 Lunix box? The idea in mind is to see if I can get all my stuff done open source.

Thanks

-he who stacks pork

Leo,
web design - Nvu
web dev - there should be many but I dunno
MP3 - Kaffeine + win32 codecs at mplayerhq.hu + libdvdcss at developer/videolan.org
graphics - Gimp, Inkscape, Picasa (Google)
DVD Playing - gxine and several others
Divx playback - not sure
Flash creation - I think you are right
web surfing - Konqueror, opera (my favorite), Mozilla, firefox
email - Evolution, Operas built in, SeaMonkey (mozilla)
.mac uploads - ??
digital camera - KDE's digicam photo manager
miniDV - ???
games - there are many out there
docs - Open Office does most all you need

That's a start anyhow. It depends on whether you run Gnome, KDE, or another window manager as well. There are so many choices it is tough to say what is best. If you use Adept or Synaptic package managers you can add all the universal repositories to go out and get all the good stuff that does not come bundled with the restricted US download versions. This includes MP3 players, win32 codecs, DVD player stuff, and whatever. It is easy to do. There are a host of wikis and forums that can be of great help too.

You may want to check the wiki too: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:28 pm 
he who stacks pork

Thanks Solow. Those were pretty much the applications I gathered might fit the bill, after some reading around on teh intarweb. Of course, figuring out which of those packages for sure run on the PPC side of things, well, that’s a matter of trial and error.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:27 pm 

There's some good info here too.

http://lifehacker.com/software/linux/ubuntulinux-roundup-240155.php

Read the replies as some of them are better han the article. As you say PPC may or may not be supported.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:00 pm 
he who stacks pork

Thanks for the link (which contains a handful of links to links), but I think that the thing is to install by trial and error to see what does and does not work. Of course, I would expect that at least 33% of the neato thing won’t work on PPC based systems, which is a crying shame… I mean—I was under the impression that the idea behind Linux was that you could install any Linux piece of software on any system, and this unfortunately is not the case. If the Linux community/world/universe/whatever wants to continue to see a rise in marketshare then they sure as hell had better tear down the wall.

Yes, that was a subtle Pink Floyd reference.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:57 pm 

Being able to install the system, is different than applications. And who ever told you that about any Linux wares run on any system may have been the type of poweruser that compiles their own kernels, as opposed to someone who just wants to dl an app and run it.

I've tried the compile route just to get a LINUX thing or two working in OS X, but it's more tedium than I care for, and then when something won't compile at the end of the deal and it just spits out some esoteric error... Bah!

Also, I strongly doubt that the Linux community cares much about the market share of the PPC processors.

And for Divx playback, I'm sure VLC will work.

SC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:11 pm 

Leo,
I'm ordering this system Thursday barring unforeseen difficulties. There's a cheap case + power supply for $25, so with shipping and taxes the whole shebang will be around $375. I'll post with my experiences.

And it looks like your ebay sales will bring you just enough! Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:25 pm 
he who stacks pork

cancerman wrote:
Leo,
I'm ordering this system Thursday barring unforeseen difficulties. There's a cheap case + power supply for $25, so with shipping and taxes the whole shebang will be around $375. I'll post with my experiences.

Yeah, that all looks pretty nice for the price.

[quote]And it looks like your ebay sales will bring you just enough! Image

I sure hope so.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:14 pm 

How about this one, Leo?

Keeping it in the family, as it were, should make it somewhat more tolerable. Well, maybe....

SC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:45 pm 

Gents:

Doing a quick flyover, while looking for some insight into a LM13 issue . . . but, I've been kicking around in a dual boot OSX/Linux system on two PPC G4 units, and then my MBPro for the last about two years. PPC is sort of the ba**ard child now, both in Linux, and of course in Apple . . . . But, having played through a few OSs . . . seems like Xubuntu 12.04 or Lubuntu 12.04 gives option for PPC with LTS . . . and, you probably could get just about anything you need . . . maybe not what you want (another rock and roll reference) . . . in PPC. There are more PPC people moving over to Linux . . . the "Apple Users" section of the Ubuntu forums can offer some help . . . sometimes.

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:47 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hi, long time no see, thanks... will look into it! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:07 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Hi, long time no see, thanks... will look into it! :)

BD:

Thanks for the reply . . . yeah, check it . . . it seems like the old OS9 days in terms of the GUI, but functionality is pretty good, lots of stuff under right-mouse-click will show up by clicking on stuff . . . it gives the option of getting closer to an up to date browser as 10.4.11 fades deeper behind the wave of time . . . . Still, 10.4.11 is smoother and runs the computer better than Linux, I guess the NVidia drivers are proprietary . . . but, having a dual boot system is pretty easy to set up in PPC using Yaboot . . . it's a new learning curve . . . "free" . . . except in terms of time to learn how to use it.

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:09 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, might try it tomorrow. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:36 pm 

Yeah, under Linux NVidia provides the video drivers as a proprietary closed-source binary blobs that actually gut large sections of XWindows for "speed."

As a result the only Linux platforms with NVidia drivers are those that NVidia deigns to write drivers for, which means... x86 and... x86. If they were open source then it'd be a lot easier to modify the drivers for another platform, but they're just inscrutable binary blobs.

I'm always mystified at die-hard open source fanatics who are also die-hard NVidia fanatics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:57 pm 

MB:

Yeah, I've since learned that the G4 iMac is one of the hardest machines to get Linux to run on . . . many, many, many hours spent trying to get various Linux OSs to run on it . . . the NVidia card is one problem, and apparently it has two video "ports" that Linux seems to be confused by. Final/best choice was Lubuntu 12.04 using the "nv" driver, that had to be retro-installed, and a simple xorg.conf file . . . adjusted to give better screen resolution . . . finally got it together and the computer has descended into KP hell . . . can't run longer than 15 mins before it freezes . . . in OSX or Linux . . . . The irony . . . . I've got Xubuntu/OSX running on an iBook G4.

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:15 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Thanks, might try it tomorrow. :)

"iMac G4 700/800 for Dummies"
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2131644&p=12598530#post12598530

@BDA:

Up in the night thinking that there might be an issue with PPC computers in OSX not being able to burn .iso files, you need an Intel unit to do that. The option then is to use a USB stick, I've never done that method, the Linux guys talk about "DD"-ing it into the stick, but I don't think we have dd in OSX??? The link above is from "rsavage" who works pretty hard in getting things for PPC Linux, there is a "iMac G3 for Dummies" as well. And, on the thread "Testers wanted for 12.04" from like post number #267 and forward he has some packages linked for installing XFCE 4-10, MATE for PPC, and Mint Maya for PPC . . . haven't had time to check them all out, but I did change my MBPro LM13 XFCE DE to the 4.10 version . . . . Lots to do and see in Linux . . . . Oh yeah, post #301 he's got some sample xorg.conf files . . . simple ones, very helpful . . . if needed for your specific machine(s).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1918246&page=31

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:41 am 

dd exists in OSX, just make sure to not have the destination USB drive mounted, and sudo the dd command.