…where do I go from here?
First off, my computing needs are:
• web design (XHTML/CSS)
• web development (PHP/ASP/MySQL/Apache)
• MP3 playing
• graphic resizing/compositing/editing
• DVD playing
• DiVX encoded file playback
• occasional Flash creation (I know, I know, I ain’t going to get this on Lunix)
• web surfing
• email (yahoo, google, .mac)
• .mac account uploading/overwriting/deleting/etc.
• digital camera offloading (as in, transferring pictures from the camera to the computer)
• MiniDV (offloading from camera, editing, compositing, rendering, etc.)
• the occasional resume editing routine in a .DOC format (and occasionally some “never heard of ‘beyond the walls of windows’” people send me MS proprietary stuff)
So, any suggestions as to equivalent softwares I need on my G4 Lunix box? The idea in mind is to see if I can get all my stuff done open source.
-he who stacks pork
web design - Nvu
web dev - there should be many but I dunno
MP3 - Kaffeine + win32 codecs at mplayerhq.hu + libdvdcss at developer/videolan.org
graphics - Gimp, Inkscape, Picasa (Google)
DVD Playing - gxine and several others
Divx playback - not sure
Flash creation - I think you are right
web surfing - Konqueror, opera (my favorite), Mozilla, firefox
email - Evolution, Operas built in, SeaMonkey (mozilla)
.mac uploads - ??
digital camera - KDE's digicam photo manager
miniDV - ???
games - there are many out there
docs - Open Office does most all you need
That's a start anyhow. It depends on whether you run Gnome, KDE, or another window manager as well. There are so many choices it is tough to say what is best. If you use Adept or Synaptic package managers you can add all the universal repositories to go out and get all the good stuff that does not come bundled with the restricted US download versions. This includes MP3 players, win32 codecs, DVD player stuff, and whatever. It is easy to do. There are a host of wikis and forums that can be of great help too.
You may want to check the wiki too: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/
I wonder what comes after Intel.....???