XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:13 pm 
he who stacks pork

See video:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/turdfarme ... es-e3R7D4/

Brand new build of new components. Does this and does this until the power cable is yanked. Have tried three different CPUs, two other sets of RAM, other hard drives, onboard video, two other video cards. WTF is going on here, and is there a solution?

Thanks

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:40 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Well, I get no intelligible anything at Dial-up speeds with that link, can you elucidate?

Is the EFI & Boot ROM same on the working & Non-working ones?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:43 pm 
he who stacks pork

This is a fresh build. Have not been able to even get into setup. I have tried blank hard drives, and ones that already have an OS of some sort on them. Brand new motherboard. However, I had this same problem just pop up out of the blue early in 2014 wherein a system I had running just fine one day after an attempted reboot just started doing this. The CPU and motherboard sat for a while and I ended up selling them on eBay with all the problems noted, and someone bought it. Never heard back from him, no eBay feedback left whatsoever, so I have no idea if the CPU or motherboard were OK or not.

So, for those who are video-impaired, upon power up, the lights come on and the fans come on, then after about 1/2 a second, everything shuts off again… then it automatically comes back on, then immediately off again… then does it again, again, again, until I yank the power cord from it. I cannot even get to any setup screens in the BIOS.

Up until this point, I’ve slapped together 7 PC/Hackintoshes, and not experienced much difficulty.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:46 pm 

My system does that when the RAM speed is set too high. I can get it back by turning it off (old power for 4 seconds), then pressing reset, turning it on, and continuing to hold reset. This wipes the BIOS back to defaults and puts the motherboard into a lowest-speed recovery mode. However that's probably a feature of my ASUS board and not something universal.

If the RAM wasn't purchased off the motherboard's QVL it could be a simple incompatibility. If the replacement RAM also wasn't on the QVL then it could be equally problematic.

Oddly enough I can set my RAM to faster timings if I only use two sticks instead of four. Its only since I moved from 16GB to 32GB that I started seeing this when I try to use my memory's rated speed (2400) vs. its standard speed (1600).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:33 am 

I had this happen in my hackintosh a couple times after messing around a bit too much. The only way out for me was taking out the battery to clear CMOS. Power cord removal had no effect, even if I left it unplugged over night.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:31 am 

I wish I could tell you but the video won't load into safari and I'm not making a yahoo account just to download it. Isn't working in firefox either for some reason. Now I remember why I hate flickr.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:16 am 
he who stacks pork

RAM, eh? I suppose I could try some sticks from another Hackintosh to see if that does it. But I will first try the CMOS battery technique.

Thanks, will report back with results.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:35 am 
he who stacks pork

Just tried some RAM from another machine, still have the reboot loop. Also yanked the CMOS battery for several minutes with everything unplugged, same thing. I then realized that all the RAM I have in each of my Hackintoshes is rated 1600 DDR3 speed, so nothing exotic in the settings anywhere (I never even was able to set anything, as I have not once been able to get the computer to even boot into the BIOS setup— the motherboard can accept ram from 1600 — 3200). I have tried one module, then two, of both 4GB and 8GB modules. The motherboard is an ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac. Thumbing through the manual lists the RAM speed as being compatible. This is hella frustrating. If not the RAM or CMOS, then what? If I was MCSE certified, ought I have figured the issues by now? :fishsmack:

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:41 am 

It sounds like you have exchanged all components except the motherboard itself. Maybe the motherboard is a dud?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:12 am 

What PSU are you using, and have you checked both it and the mobo for blown caps and/or broken IC leads? And just for shits and giggles, check to see if the PSU is set to 240 mode instead of 115/120 mode.

Edit: One other thing that could cause this is the front panel power and/or reset buttons' mobo connectors being put in reversed from what they should be. That would cause problems with the +5V trickle input and definitely cause a startup loop.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:03 pm 
he who stacks pork

I’ve taken the system completely apart, and now have a running boneless system… “running”, as in, it powers on, then goes through the autoreboot bullcrap again. :x I have the motherboard on a cardboard box, with the power supply plugged into it, the CPU power plugged into the motherboard, a USB cable going from the non-USB3.0 port on the back into a keyboard and mouse, the graphics card hooked up (with PCI-E power attached), CPU fan plugged into motherboard (have tried it also plugged directly into powersupply), etc. etc. etc.

And now, as of this writing (right now, LOL), I have only the CPU, RAM, motherboard power, CPU power plugged in, (literally nothing else is plugged into it, not even RJ-45, videocard, hard drive, CDROM, or USB) and it does the same damn thing. This powersupply (Rosewill Capstone 750) works spiffy in my other computers, in fact, it was powering two Crossfire’d Radeon 5870 cards in a Core i5 3.5GHz machine (currently running a 1000W supply).

I guess I need to throw this motherboard on my barbecue and have a fun little bonfire. :nothappy:

Seriously, WTF is keeping this piece of garbage stuck in this reset loop?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:32 pm 

It's a longshot, but check those wireless antennas onboard aren't touching anything bare metal. In fact, just for troubleshooting purposes, I'd remove the wifi card entirely and see if it still auto-reboots. Also, if there is an M.2 device connected on the rear of the mobo, disconnect it and test barebones there too.

When you removed the battery to clear the CMOS, did you also short the CMOS pins? If so, check to see if the jumper is still there. If it is the system will never boot up. If there is no jumper present, remove the battery and short the pins for 5-10 seconds to re-clear the CMOS and then remove the jumper + replace battery and see if it works. The CMOS jumper on this mobo is the two-pin connector about two inches or so to the right of the PCIe slot, with the PCIe slot oriented closest to your body.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:51 pm 
he who stacks pork

LOL. I figured it out. Two bent tiny CPU socket pins. :oops: Of course, at 45 years old, my eyesight ain’t the greatest, I don’t own a microscope, and I cannot find my stainless steel pick set.

Anyway, I went to Fry’s earlier and bought another motherboard, this one is a Gigabyte Z97M-DS3H, which I purchased for $89.09. It was an open-box, I was taking a chance; ironically, it had some bent CPU socket pins! :o After a few drinks, I decided the bent pins on this new motherboard would be easier to nudge with a toothpick (LOL, smallest thing I could find), using my iPhone’s camera to zoom in acting as a microscope… SUCCESS!!! :D

Meanwhile, Installing OS X 10.6.8 onto a partition (and will be installing Windoze 7 on the other partition).

I tell ya, you can try a smorgasbørd of component configurations, scratching your head, asking for peer support, when in the end, it is you—the careless dumbass—who has managed to fat-finger something, futzing it up in the end. :?

I’ll be putting the otherwise-brand-new ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac motherboard up on eBay for a Buy-It-Now with the details of the bent CPU socket pins clearly indicated. Surely someone with better eyesight and a steadier hand than me can make good use of it.

I appreciate all the advice and support from you all, but it unfortunately didn’t undo my clumsiness. :roll:

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:08 pm 

How do you have bent CPU pins on an LGA mobo? That one baffles me.

Edit: Nevermind. Looking at a zoomed in picture answered that for me. Yeah, if the new one has bent pins and you're using an LGA CPU, odds are you're going to short out sooner rather than later. I wouldn't chance the open box mobo w/ bent pins even if you think you've fixed them. LGA pins are exceptionally delicate and if it's bent out, it probably won't last long under stress.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:26 pm 
he who stacks pork

The “new” (open box) motherboard is working quite spiffy. I guess my fiddlefutzing with the two bent pins worked just fine. I was super gentle with nudging them. The pins on the other motherboard, however, I believe will require a super steady hand and a microscope to fix; as such, I will offer the motherboard for 1/2 price on eBay… surely someone will purchase it.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:06 am 
Vice Dictator

Glad you got it worked out. Have a digital microscope and a set of dental picks at work just for these issues :)

http://www.amazon.com/Supereyes-B005-Microscope-Endoscope-Magnifier/dp/B0066HK96Q/ref=lp_2742273011_1_8?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1448985931&sr=1-8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:51 pm 

Well, I'm glad it's working for you either way. I was about to break down and ask how far away from Hayward you lived and trek up there to troubleshoot with you. :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:43 pm 

If you're near a Costco, their reading glasses are available in multiple magnification levels (so you get a pair that matches your eyesight and aren't just universally crazy-old-cat-lady strength, like you'll find in drug stores) and are damn cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:07 am 
he who stacks pork

Squishy Tia wrote:
Well, I'm glad it's working for you either way. I was about to break down and ask how far away from Hayward you lived and trek up there to troubleshoot with you. :P

Oh, you’ve relocated? Last I remember you lived in Santa Clara, which is where I now live (near SCU).

MonkeyBoy wrote:
If you're near a Costco, their reading glasses are available in multiple magnification levels (so you get a pair that matches your eyesight and aren't just universally crazy-old-cat-lady strength, like you'll find in drug stores) and are damn cheap.

OMG yeah, my age is showing, isn’t it? I’m the only one in my family so far who hasn’t broken down to go see an optometrist. :(

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:16 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I get my glasses at the Dollar Tree.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:38 am 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:

Oh, you’ve relocated? Last I remember you lived in Santa Clara, which is where I now live (near SCU).

-he who stacks pork

I used to work in Santa Clara. Never lived there nor would I want to with that god awful sewer smell from the sewage treatment plant in northern SClara.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:04 pm 

OMG yeah, my age is showing, isn’t it? I’m the only one in my family so far who hasn’t broken down to go see an optometrist. :(

You are following a well worn path. It is normal most people's eyes start failing by the early 40's, and typically we put it off until reading becomes too difficult. Standing at the window holding a book at arms length and flexing your eyes can only be done for so long.

When you get some good reading glasses, expensive as they are from the optometrist, you'll wonder why you waited so long when the type reforms to be sharp and clear. It will be a good investment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:21 am 

Stumbled across this flowchart:
http://i.imgur.com/ZmXfW6L.png

Even though it talks about IDE and SCSI it's still pretty relevant. I followed it for a bit, assumed a few answers about your setup, and ended up at bad motherboard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:57 am 
he who stacks pork

Squishy Tia wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:

-he who stacks pork

I used to work in Santa Clara. Never lived there nor would I want to with that god awful sewer smell from the sewage treatment plant in northern SClara.

Ahhh… I was mistaken. Funny, I haven’t noticed the sewer smell yet. I’m over by the university, just kinda smells like college.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:11 pm 

Ahhh… I was mistaken. Funny, I haven’t noticed the sewer smell yet. I’m over by the university, just kinda smells like college.

-he who stacks pork

Start with your car windows closed and your fans set to circulate internally only, or off it they don't have such a setting (my minivan doesn't). Head on over to the area near the 237 and 880 interchange. Trust me, you'll smell it and you'll then be wondering whether or not you'd rather smell the cows on a ranch than the nice fresh Santa Clara air.