XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Browser Hijacking
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:45 pm 

Tomorrow I'm going to try and help who appears to have been swamped by malware/adware and who knows what else.

I was with her last week and she the webssearch browser hijacker strutting its stuff. I did what I could think of but it wouldn't go away before I ran out of time. I'll be back tomorrow and I'll try again but if anyone can give me some safe links to download free malware/adware scanners from it would be appreciated. When it comes to downloading PC stuff I never know which sites are legit or not. :badteeth: I don't want to make her problems worse by installing something worse than what she already has.

She can't even touch her desktop without ads popping up. It's a a sorry situation. For the last few weeks she had been complaining about how slow everything was.

I want to leave her some tools that she can run from time to time to keep things more or less under control.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Browser Hijacking
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:53 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... tails.aspx

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-adware-popup-ads/

Don't download anything from CNET or it's other entities, like advertised here...

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Adware-Manually

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:07 pm 

Normally I give Malwarebytes and Security Essentials good whacks at the system (run full, not quick, scans). After that I poke around and see if I can find any remaining traces and clear them out by hand - sometimes they leave entries in add/remove programs (programs and features in Vista+), other times they're in the Start folder and/or registry (start -> run -> msconfig to easily access them all), then there's browser plugins and explorer/activex extensions, etc. MBAR can catch and remove rootkits, though it's been in beta form for over a year - I half suspect it'll never leave beta so they can avoid getting sued by people whose systems have exploded.

Ideally you should have the system disconnected from the internet while the scans are running and while poking around, otherwise you could find yourself in a real time battle with the botnet master in control of the system, where he's kicking off installs of new viruses and malware as quickly as you're removing them, and most of the stuff he installs won't be detected for a couple weeks or longer.

There is a point of no return for infections. If it's been left snowballing for too long the infections will have built to the point where no combination of scanners will get them all, because someone will have put something on there that's currently undetectable. If you're really unlucky it's something that is unique to that system and will never get detected, in which case you have to back up all the user data and start over with a fresh copy of Windows. Normally though what you can do is basically shut the system down and let it sit for a couple weeks, leave it disconnected from the internet, power it on, install your AV(s), copy over fresh AV definitions via USB, then run full scans to clear it all out. By putting in that stretch of time you're increasing the chance that the strains have been submitted to AV companies, who build AV definitions to detect/remove the strains.

As far as preventing new infections once the system is clean, I normally rely on MSSE, Malwarebytes, and CryptoPrevent. I always use MBAM in a scan-only configuration, unchecking the "enable pro" option on the last window the installer pops up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:47 pm 

Thanks guys. I'm off to bed. I'll post back with my progress. I think tomorrow will be arduous!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:30 am 

I'd give this a try first. By someone BD and I know well from ASC. From all reports, it appears to get the job done, at least for the adware--and that may be all this is.

http://www.adwaremedic.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:46 pm 

After installing the Microsoft application it did a 20 minute basic scan but came up clean. Due to lack of time I decided to give Malwarebytes a go. I gad to leave but I left it running and had detected 224 objects.

I will be back tomorrow to see how things ended and will run the other stuff. Thanks for the adwaremedic tip wzzz.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:25 pm 

Went back today but found she had 140GB of photos that weren't backed up! :badteeth:

I started to copy it all over to an external drive but it hadn't finished when I had to leave. I'll be back next week to do what I wanted to do today.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:11 pm 

"These files are absolutely critical but I can't be bothered to take the time to back them up!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:47 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah... "They're in the computer, I can get another Hard Drive anytime." ! :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 pm 

I was going to take a risk and run the software anyway but when I saw the magnitude of photos that weren't backed up (on a Dell laptop that's more than fours years old) my sphincter clenched itself closed and I had to find an external to copy them over.