XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:35 am 

So today I decided to turn my PC into a Hackintosh since it's faster than my Early 2008 Mac Pro, and it makes more sense to just reboot to switch OSes instead of having both computers set up.

I have two 640GB drives, which were previously set up kind of oddly, with a 300GB Windows partition on one drive, a matching 300GB partition on the second drive, and a software RAID 0 with the remaining space on the two drives. Doing this changed the partition type to Windows_LDM.

To install OS X, I removed the software RAID and formatted the second drive. So the first drive still has a bootable Windows partition and free partition on it. I figured it would be good to be able to access it from OS X for accessing files and/or possibly booting it as a VM when I don't need a full boot to Windows.

Can the drive be converted to MBR without reformatting it, or is there a way to read LDM in Mavericks?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:47 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Would Parallels...

http://www.parallels.com/

VmWare Fusion...

http://www.vmware.com/mac

Or VirtualBox…

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Be able to read it in a Windows VM???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:46 am 

Possibly, but I'd have to install a second Windows install in a VM in order to access the first install, which would defeat the purpose. I'm trying to avoid having to reinstall everything, otherwise I'd just format it as MBR and reinstall.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:43 am 
Benevolent Dictator

It can be converted it appears!

http://www.allroundgeek.com/2011/05/sav ... sk-to.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 am 

This snippet from the article you link makes me cringe:

Quote:
After more googling I found a fantastic Open source utility called TestDisk that could do exactly what I wanted, among many other things. Being Open Source it was native to Windows, Mac and Linux.

*shudder*

Thankfully my Hack Pro didn't get the LDM treatment when I installed Windows 7 Pro. So I now have the best of both worlds, especially if Apple fucks up my ability to upgrade properly to Yosemite in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:19 pm 

Ahhh, Windows_LDM is Dynamic Disk. Sorry, I don't know of any way to read them on OSX. I avoid them like the plague on Windows because they come with all kinds of gotchas there. If I feel like fighting through Microsoft's arcane and unnecessarily obtuse disk imaging/management/distribution utilities then for all that trouble I get the same functionality as I get with Basic Disks using third party (and GUI-based) utilities. Well, except for software RAID support, but I don't want that (hardware raid or bust).

I know using the built-in Microsoft utilities you can convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, but once dynamic I don't know of any way (using Microsoft tools) to switch it back. The problem is that around the time Microsoft released dynamic disks most of the third party imaging software was either killed of died off, so besides Microsoft you have fairly limited options. I think Acronis supports them in limited ways but that's all Windows (and Linux) based.

What I would do is get into a Windows environment and then transfer the data off that partition to a third, basic, disk, then once I'm satisfied the data is intact and readable on the other disk destroy the dynamic disk.