XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:25 am 
he who stacks pork

Anyone have any suggestions? Powerstrip will only allow me to bump the GPU speed up by 99MHz (it resets to defaults if I go over that amount).

Thanks!

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:10 am 
he who stacks pork

…or any PC/Windoze GPU overclocking tool in general.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:06 pm 

Well, Catalyst Control Center on Windows gives you pretty granular control for overclocking ATI/AMD cards. You have to OK past a big fat "if you hit OK you're voiding your hardware warranty!" message. Depending on the card it can give you clockspeed for GPU, RAM, bus speed, even voltages. I have a 6950 at home and though I usually leave it at defaults, I have experimented just to see what's possible.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:39 pm 
he who stacks pork

I just installed (less than 20 minutes ago) the Catalyst stuff onto my Bootcamp partition (Windoze 7 “Pro”). Now, amazingly, while doing anything at all, hitting the ‘1’ key on the keyboard now mysteriously launches Internet Explorer. Any ideas??? I don’t recall having told the Catalyst software to bind the ‘1’ key to do this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I discovered this lovely gem while playing Unreal Tournament III. Yes, I would love to give orders to my team (comprised of bots) using the ‘v’ key, and then the ‘1’ key which is NOT supposed to minimize Unreal Tournament III and launch Inturdshit Exploiter.

Can anyone offer a possible solution??? I don’t see any way to fix this via AVG or Catalyst (I mention AVG since somehow AVG has installed it’s own “start page” on INternet Explorer.

Yes, I love using PCs. They are always a source of fun. No matter what live gives you, PCs always throw you shit and somehow you never have your umbrella ready.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:51 pm 

If you open CCC (Catalyst Control Center), hit preferences in the upper right, then Hotkeys... from the drop down menu. This will show you all hotkeys that are controlled by CCC. You can disable all hotkeys with the checkbox in the upper left of that window. If you disable it, OK/Close your way out of CCC, and 1 still opens IE, then it's not CCC responsible for the behavior.

I often see that kind of nonsense with "multimedia keyboard" drivers.

You could probably use msconfig to disable all startup items and see if the problem goes away, then add them back in until you find the culprit. It's like conflict catcher, but without the fun of MacOS.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:30 pm 
he who stacks pork

MonkeyBoy wrote:
If you open CCC (Catalyst Control Center), hit preferences in the upper right, then Hotkeys... from the drop down menu. This will show you all hotkeys that are controlled by CCC. You can disable all hotkeys with the checkbox in the upper left of that window. If you disable it, OK/Close your way out of CCC, and 1 still opens IE, then it's not CCC responsible for the behavior.

I often see that kind of nonsense with "multimedia keyboard" drivers.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

MonkeyBoy wrote:
You could probably use msconfig to disable all startup items and see if the problem goes away, then add them back in until you find the culprit. It's like conflict catcher, but without the fun of MacOS.

Problem with that is that this on a 2008 eight-core 3.2GHz Mac Pro running Windoze 7 under Bootcamp, not an actual PC. I am afraid to try anything other than a simple Bootcamp “delete partition and restore as a Mac OSX disc” approach and then just re-do the whole thing. I will try the ‘Hotkeys’ thingy though and see if that helps out.

Thanks

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:17 pm 

msconfig is fairly benign, it's not going to screw up your Windows install, especially if you restrict yourself to messing around inside the Startup tab. All that's doing is moving data between registry keys.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:14 pm 
he who stacks pork

Mysteriously after a reboot back into Windoze (from OSX 10.6.8 and then to 10.7.5) the problem went away. Typical Windoze entertainment I guess. The Catalyst software has a crapload of memory overhead.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:31 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I wouldn't discount OSX's Boot Caches.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:44 am 

I should probably mention that Apple's BootCamp software, installed in Windows, has hotkey functionality wrapped up in it's "subvert function keys" feature. In theory by requiring the function key to be held down in order to use those features (or disabling it entirely, if your keyboard doesn't have function), should disable its use of hotkeys when function isn't being held down. Just open up the Boot Camp control panel and look under the keyboard tab for the feature. At least thats what I remember off the top of my head.