XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:19 pm 

I am thinking of replacing the fans in my new (to me!) QS Dual 1GHz. I've spent a lot of time reading what others have done, as many folks find that particular model to be a noisy one. Now, I've already thoroughly cleaned all the components and the case; and also use CHUD 3.5.2, which does help keep noise down.

So far, the fans I've tentatively picked are all from the 'Silent' series, by Gelid (120mm/case; 80mm/PSU; 60mm/CPU): http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/ ... id=2&cid=5

I thought I'd save money, and not purchase Gelid's temperature-controlled units, because I'll be running the fans from 4-pin molex connectors (with 3-pin to 4-pin adapters), and won't be able to utilize that feature.

I realize Gelid's 'Silent' fans generate less air-throughput, compared with their competitors; but, on the plus-side, the Gelid fans are some of the quietest available, and are long-lived. Also, some overclockers have said that installing an extra fan or two – and using lower-output, quieter fans – can significantly reduce noise, yet keep things relatively cool. With that in-mind, I'm thinking of attaching a 40mm fan to the inflow on the PSU, to help direct air to the 80mm fan, inside the PSU.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this proposed plan to quiet my G4 Dual? Also, is it safe to use an adapter, and run two fans off of one molex? Thanks for any and all your ideas!

appler505

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:46 am 

Sorry, I've never dealt with Gelids products before, so I can't attest to their quiet or noisy nature.

As a general rule if they're using a normal fan design (e.g. Cougar & Noctua have unusually shaped blades) then the reason they're quiet is because they're not moving as much air.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:20 pm 

Thanks, MonkeyBoy. And, yes, the Gelid fans move less air, but I'm trying to make up for that by utilizing at least one, additional fan.

appler505