XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:52 pm 

This dude put in 4 electric car radiator fans and custom ductwork on the minis themselves :macmini: :macmini: :macmini: :macmini: :macmini:

http://hackaday.com/2012/12/09/160-mac-minis-one-rack/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:26 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Nice work! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:29 pm 

I have a sneaking suspicion that vertical integration, done correctly, would yield better results.

One of the guys there links to a cabinet that only gets 140 with vertical integration, but he's got a ton of rack space eaten up by PDUs, switches, and the like, both of which have "zero footprint" mounting options (switches mount on the sides of the rack, while the PDUs are mounted on the back, behind the rackmount). The thing about vertical integration is that some racks are configured for exhausting air out the top and pulling in cold air from the bottom, to match the server rooms that do the same thing.

Lately though it seems like the push is towards "hot aisle" and "cold aisle" which obviously isn't helped by vertical integration. OTOH with this horizontal integration you'd have to mount the rack backwards half the time, in order to have air flow through properly (hot flows 1 direction, cold flows the opposite).

Still a neat idea, and kind what I was thinking of when I heard about Apple's discontinuation of XServe. All he needs now is some kind of Thunderbolt integration to move off the 1Gb ethernet interface.