XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New DVD player for TV?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:15 am 

Since this board is "Audio, Video and Graphics" and does not specifically restrict itself to computers... ;)

We've been using a Philips DVD player with our TV for what I know has been at least 6 years and I am guessing closer to 10. A few months ago the component output gave out but our TV can use HDMI so it went back to working.

Yesterday it was showing signs of a bad DVD in the player. It would freeze for a fraction of a second or even a few seconds. Okay, nothing new for a library DVD (which I later viewed in my computer with no problem). Then 10 minutes later it froze for several minutes. Now normally if this happens I can eject the DVD, but in this case the DVD player would not eject the DVD or even shut down. I had to unplug it. I tried reloading it and it just stuck on "loading" for minutes on end. Eventually I had to unplug it again and then immediately press the open button to get my DVD. To jump ahead it also froze on a DVD it had played with no problem a few weeks ago. I also tried a cleaner disc and it stuck on "loading". So I am guessing something is major dead, right?

Assuming this is dead, does anybody have recommendations for a new player? I do like one which has some information displayed without having to invoke onscreen menus. Our TV is a 32" 1080p, so is it worth considering something that "upscales"? I spent sometime reading reviews on Amazon and BestBuy and I am not impressed. Sony seems okay but has fewer features and heaven forbid you ever need to use their support or return anything under warranty. Samsung had a model with many reviews but I don't know if the model is still available and people were complaining about the drive making noise (we sit about 12 feet from ours).

We do not really have a need for Bluray. We get a lot of DVDs from the library but there are not many Blurays and we don't actually own a single BlueRay (and only a few DVDs). It seems there's a lot of BluRay players out there now that include a smartTV component but a friend of ours just gave us a spare Roku she had lying around.

Am I doing just as well going for some $30 no-name brand in Target or somewhere and regard it as $30 we'll have to spend once a year? I guess I will want to make sure it has HDMI output.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:36 pm 

We ended up buying a $40 Sony player in Target. I opened up the Philips and it was surprisingly dust free inside so I don't think there was anything physically preventing reading a DVD. I didn't plug it in and don't know if I could even see a DVD laser but I am going the presume that was what was bad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:44 pm 

Exactly what I would have done.

I think I ended up paying an extra $5 for the DVD player I bought my folks because it would make the TV flip inputs when they turned on the DVD player (and flip back when they turn it off). No mention of names since apparently that feature, which has always works fine in my experience with their combination of equipment, doesn't work for someone else here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:06 am 

Once you start getting problems with DVDs, especially if they're new or known good DVDs, it's time to replace the unit. It means the laser's going out, or something's gone nutso with one of the circuit's solder joints over time. Usually it's the laser. Nowadays, any name brand DVD player will upscale via HDMI. Better yet are the blu-ray players, since they do both blu-ray and DVD and often have better upscalers than TVs do.

If I could afford the $500 for it, the Oppo blu-ray players are freaking insane, both in terms of features and quality control.

Regarding HDMI CEC (that's the feature that changes inputs on the TV when you turn the unit on and off) - it's hit and miss between brands. There is no set "standard", and as such it either works wonderfully or makes your life a misery. Unless your parents literally can't figure out how to change the TV's input (usually a couple of button presses of a single button on the remote), it's usually best to leave HDMI CEC off. It's almost always flakier than a bloke with both psoriasis and dandruff together.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:08 pm 

Well, in my case the TV and DVD player were from the same manufacturer and were bought within 3 months of each other, which is probably why everything worked. Given the interoperability problems of HDMI I can only imagine what it would be like to try and make that feature work with different manufacturers. I'm not exaggerating when I say it always worked. Now that they've passed I don't even use the DVD player, but it made their lives easier which is why I went that route.

When you're talking about 85+ year old people, hitting a remote button that they rarely interact with and can't read the text on is an issue. The VCR was hooked in in-line in front of their cable box so when they turned it on it automatically assumed control of the TV, the DVD player needed to work similarly or I would get calls asking how to make it work. I got enough calls from the blasted 200+ button cable box/dvr remote when they hit the wrong key. Reusing keys depending on context to cut down on the number of buttons is apparently not an option for cable box/dvr manufacturers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:36 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Well, in my case the TV and DVD player were from the same manufacturer and were bought within 3 months of each other, which is probably why everything worked. Given the interoperability problems of HDMI I can only imagine what it would be like to try and make that feature work with different manufacturers. I'm not exaggerating when I say it always worked. Now that they've passed I don't even use the DVD player, but it made their lives easier which is why I went that route.

When you're talking about 85+ year old people, hitting a remote button that they rarely interact with and can't read the text on is an issue. The VCR was hooked in in-line in front of their cable box so when they turned it on it automatically assumed control of the TV, the DVD player needed to work similarly or I would get calls asking how to make it work. I got enough calls from the blasted 200+ button cable box/dvr remote when they hit the wrong key. Reusing keys depending on context to cut down on the number of buttons is apparently not an option for cable box/dvr manufacturers.

That's totally understandable. My 82 year old grandpa can operate the TV's input function to switch to the DVD Player because I set up the AVR remote to use the appopriately named keys and showed him a few times, but it takes him about five times longer to do each part of the task than it does me since his reaction time is abysmal at that age (yet he can still drive better than most people younger than him!).

If we could afford it, I'd get a new Yamaha Aventage 3050 (or is it 60 now?) AVR for the Dolby Atmos and HDCP 2.2 functionality and give him my Yamaha RX-A3000 (the first Aventage AVR they made) and just set up the SCENEs to switch between inputs properly for him. No muss, no fuss. Unfortunately a new 3050/60 is $2k and I'd rather spend that on a Pascal GPU for my Hack Pro.