XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:55 pm
Posts: 1848
The sound on the newtous MBP 13" 2011 running Mavericks has been iffy from the start.
Sometimes it just isn't there on a startup - sometimes on a reboot it returns, sometimes not. We don't use sound much but I hated it being wonky.
Now that I've learned to work with Messages, I might actually have a reason to want sound.

I read apple support on the issue until I was blue in the face - especially this endless thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/54 ... 0&tstart=0
and this seemed like the first best (easiest) solution to try: http://www.macworld.com/article/2031146 ... d-mac.html

Even though we had never used a headphone in the MBP, maybe the previous owner did, or maybe this is just magic. But I put in a headphone jack - not even connected to a headset! - and voilà - the little icon in the menu bar that was greyed and the sound info in syst prefs that was greyed - came back to black and sound works again!

Now, based on that endless thread, I'm not holding my breath for a permanent solution - which is to say it has just gone to sleep, we'll see what happens when I wake it up.

For now at least, I know how to fix it.

There were a lot of commands to try and PRam reset to do, but each one did not get a good report after someone tried it - and then came back later.
Not happy here, but it's a workaround that works for the moment.

Be back soon, maybe....

_________________
Mrs H


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:02 pm 
Offline
Benevolent Dictator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 14259
Long shot, but...

Open Audio Midi Setup in Applications>Utilities, see the input & output options & KHz setting there, some things will change it for their own use, then not set it back. 


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:07 pm
Posts: 2367
Location: Inside Flatus Maximus
If it goes away during a session again, you may want to try something some of the Blizzard gamers had to endure until Blizzard (quickly, thankfully) resolved an audio bug with the Battle.net App:

sudo killall coreaudiod

If that fails to remedy the problem, have you done an actual SMC reset? PRAM resets are the CMD-OPT-P-R key combo on startup that all Macs have always used, but SMC resets are slightly different and an unruly SMC can royally fubar seemingly unrelated components in a machine.

Here's how to reset the SMC.

_________________
Official Mac Tech Support Forum Cookie™ (Mint Chocolate Chip)
Guaranteed tasty; Potentially volatile when dipped in WWIII Forum Syrup®
Caution: This cookie bites back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:55 pm
Posts: 1848
BDAqua wrote:
Long shot, but...

Open Audio Midi Setup in Applications>Utilities, see the input & output options & KHz setting there, some things will change it for their own use, then not set it back. 

Thanks BDA - actually someone mentioned that on the endless thread I referred to above.
I looked there when sound was gone and it was gone there too - nothing could be done and the sound for output was at 0 as grey.

Good news thus far, MBP has been to sleep twice and awakened by me and sound is still OK... fingers crossed while I say this...

_________________
Mrs H


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:55 pm
Posts: 1848
Squishy Tia wrote:
...
sudo killall coreaudiod

If that fails to remedy the problem, have you done an actual SMC reset? PRAM resets are the CMD-OPT-P-R key combo on startup that all Macs have always used, but SMC resets are slightly different and an unruly SMC can royally fubar seemingly unrelated components in a machine.

Here's how to reset the SMC.


Thanks Squishy for chiming in (get it chiming? as in sound - OK lame joke...)

These suggestions were mentioned in that endless thread I referred to above.
I didn't try any of them since each one was tried by several and they reported back that it didn't work - or worked for a bit and then the problem returned.
I know each event and each setup is different and I was just hoping for someone to offer an Apple fix - as in a patch - no joy there.

Another suggestion that kept showing up:
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

I avoid terminal like the plague unless it is absolutely essential - and so far, it didn't seem so.

There were other commands for terminal as well - and it seemed to me that everyone reported back that the fix, wasn't a fix...

Hopefully, this insert jack fix will hold... but I'm not holding my breath.

_________________
Mrs H


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:13 pm
Posts: 9081
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
SMC reset is likely up your alley, and certainly will have zero adverse impact on your system or its performance if it doesn't solve your problem. A PRAM reset is equally good and is extremely unlikely to create new issues.

I would certainly try both before resorting to some hack/trick that may have unintended consequences.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:55 pm
Posts: 1848
MonkeyBoy wrote:
SMC reset is likely up your alley, and certainly will have zero adverse impact on your system or its performance if it doesn't solve your problem. A PRAM reset is equally good and is extremely unlikely to create new issues.

I would certainly try both before resorting to some hack/trick that may have unintended consequences.


Yes I suspect maybe, but so many folks on that forum thread had no luck with it (and one swore that PRAM reset screwed everything up but he must have done something wrong I'm thinking!)

So far so good - the MBP has been to sleep for over an hour - woke it up - sound still OK.

When you say "hack/trick" to what are you referring?
The jack in the hole seemed to work - is that what you refer to here?

_________________
Mrs H


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:07 pm
Posts: 2367
Location: Inside Flatus Maximus
Mrs H wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:
SMC reset is likely up your alley, and certainly will have zero adverse impact on your system or its performance if it doesn't solve your problem. A PRAM reset is equally good and is extremely unlikely to create new issues.

I would certainly try both before resorting to some hack/trick that may have unintended consequences.


Yes I suspect maybe, but so many folks on that forum thread had no luck with it (and one swore that PRAM reset screwed everything up but he must have done something wrong I'm thinking!)

So far so good - the MBP has been to sleep for over an hour - woke it up - sound still OK.

When you say "hack/trick" to what are you referring?
The jack in the hole seemed to work - is that what you refer to here?


Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. That's why I tell people to ignore such "evidence" and try the proper troubleshooting steps on their own. Who knows how many hidden variables each person's setup has relative to anybody else's.

_________________
Official Mac Tech Support Forum Cookie™ (Mint Chocolate Chip)
Guaranteed tasty; Potentially volatile when dipped in WWIII Forum Syrup®
Caution: This cookie bites back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:13 pm
Posts: 9081
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Here's the thing. You're assuming you're going to be one of the people who are going to have problems so therefore you're not going to do it and therefore will try some hack/trick (the jack thing you're doing) instead. I'm saying that I can reset 100 MacBook Pros and 100 of them will have zero new problems after an SMC or PRAM reset. There is no risk. The absolute worst thing that will happen is that your problem will persist and won't get solved.

Here's the thing. Most Mac users aren't very good at troubleshooting. They get Macs because they think they don't need it. So when they encounter problems, they're worse than the average user at not only locating problems, but also diagnosing the problem. Whatever problem that guy had after resetting he had it before resetting - he just didn't notice it. In other words, he had that problem, but also had other problems, and once the other problems were resolved, only that problem remained. Therefore, to him, the PRAM/SMC reset caused that problem. It didn't.

Instead of focusing on the outlier that proves your worst fears, focus on the majority that disproves them. It's in human nature to focus on the outlier as evidence that the majority is wrong, even though the reverse is almost always true.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group