XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:22 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
I'm sure it's fine monitor once you turn off their image-mangling crap.
Well, in ASUS's case, at least it's pretty simple to turn off. Menu, Image, VividPixel, then you have a choice from 0-100... in increments of 25. So basically you have a choice of 0-4.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:30 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Today NewEgg put an ASUS 23" IPS display on sale for $115. It's not the same model as mine (which is 23.something") though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236583

The special ends tomorrow at midnight at the latest.

Sorry, it just popped into my mailbox today and I thought of you. I couldn't remember if you'd ordered the replacement yet or what.

Thanks, actually had seen that already, but only five reviews, so even if I hadn't yet ordered the Acer replacement, don't think I would have been ready to take a chance on that one. I suppose speakers are nice, but have to be very crappy (can't be much better than the microscopic speaker on the Mini.) And I kind of like the audio throughput to the Acer, for which I just use headphones. Can leave the headphones always plugged in and switch to them from Option>Sound icon.

Fingers very crossed the replacement will be 100%.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:13 pm 
Master

BDAqua wrote:
Is it because most people are watching TV on their "computers"?

No, I'm pretty sure it's because of marketing executives having meetings with other marketing executives.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:34 pm 

It could also be because retailers demand displays not all look exactly the same. There must be some difference between displays, otherwise how else could they justify carrying 500 models?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:16 pm 
Master

They can make the stands different shades of shiny black plastic, and give the oval bases different aspect ratios, and vary the thickness of the bezel, and make some an inch or two shorter or taller than another, and use a red power LED in place of a blinding blue LED on certain models, and silkscreen different icons over the buttons, and cut hip trendy segments out of the base on fancy models. The stores could also just screw with the gamma setting on the computer each one is plugged in to. And who in the Hell buys computer stuff in stores these days anyway??

Lastly, they could just suck it up and realize that monitors are simple commodities like pork bellies, iron ore, and dimensional lumber. Then could embrace that by just making their monitors cheap and reliable. You need like what, two plugs and three buttons on a monitor: one power cord, one digital video input, a power button, and brightness up/down buttons?

And don't even get me started on talking about ISPs or cell phone providers wanting to believe they offer value-added features!

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:44 am 

Actually I do appreciate monitors with multiple inputs, that way you don't need to buy a KVM to hook up multiple systems to a single monitor.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:35 pm 

Got new one. Think it's more stable for the backlight issue, but could still be getting somewhat brighter upon wake from standby. Or my eyes are adjusting, opening more, depending on the ambient light. Jury is out.

If it is still doing it, I think I will just have to live with it. Not going through sending this one back again. Plus, not ready to learn a new OSD,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:27 pm 
Master

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Actually I do appreciate monitors with multiple inputs, that way you don't need to buy a KVM to hook up multiple systems to a single monitor.

A few people use 'em, but if you need these you know to look, and if you don't need them on average you don't care. Yes, monitors will continue to have VGA connectors for another five years so the manufacturers don't get calls from confused grandmothers who can't plug in their twenty year old Packard Bell running Windows 98, but either way that doesn't really do much to set the system apart from the others in a sales brochure; it's just not a feature to de-commodify your company's monitor and really set it apart from the pack.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:20 am 

Update: apart from the brightness issue, I'm quite pleased with this Acer display. However, the brightness issue was really beginning to get on my nerves, and going into the very awkward OSD to tone it down when it inevitably got too bright wasn't a very practical idea. Even tried via MDP to DVI cable, but that didn't do it either.

Didn't think it was possible to control the backlight of a non-Apple monitor from the Mac. Looked everywhere, and found any number of hacks that might do the job--most of them very iffy. But first one I tried out of the box works like a charm. Amazed, didn't think it could possibly work.

Open the app and it puts a little window on the Desktop with a brightness slider. Last updated in 2006 for OS X 10.2!!! Only thing missing is it isn't in the menubar.

http://www.splasm.com/brightnesscontrol/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:44 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hoot!

Great work, thanks for the report! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:52 am 

Definitely looks like it's lowering the backlight level, but doesn't work through the backlight:

Quote:
Brightness Control does not actually affect the amount of light coming from your display's backlight....

Brightness Control manipulates the gamma tables for each display so that each pixel's apparent brightness is scaled up or down based on the position of the Brightness Control slider. The amount of light from the backlight remains constant.

http://www.splasm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:43 pm 
Master

If your display has any kind of dynamic brightness or black level control (if present, probably deeply disguised by marketing-speak drivel) try turning it off.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:49 am 

Anonymous wrote:
If your display has any kind of dynamic brightness or black level control (if present, probably deeply disguised by marketing-speak drivel) try turning it off.

- Anonymous

I don't have any of that crap turned on, and never did, and I've looked through every apparent nook and cranny of the on screen display, and tried every possible way of setting this thing up, but maybe there's some hidden setting, although it wouldn't be accessible from the Mac.

I could try getting into service mode (factory menu), besides being risky, no idea what I'd be looking for there, or what to do if I found it.

Quote:
S2. Pressing “e” and power on, when the screen lights, release the key and press “MENU” again to open the menu with “F” and select “F” to open factory menu.

pdf:

P42. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/455818 ... 236hl.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:13 pm 
Vice Dictator

Keep in mind if you go into the Factory mode take a screen shot of the default settings before you change anything. I've seen some of the monitors do wonky stuff if they are set to different settings in the Factory mode. Also keep in mind you have 3 year warranty on that and if it ever needs repair it'll be repaired fairly close to my office :D Glad you got it worked out and hope you enjoy it. Also looks like your using the latest Firmware on the monitor too as long as it was made within the last year or so. MSG me if you want the full SG pdf file.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:06 pm 

No real desire to start mucking around cluelessly in factory mode. Now that I have this little program going, I can much more easily keep living with this monitor.

EDIT: Sandy, what's the "full SG pdf file?"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:56 pm 

Use a Mac at Night? - Have you tried f.lux? It's rather nifty

Alternatively there are these two other screen dimmers, I have not tried them but they seem to be a possibility.

Shades

Shady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:23 pm 

Thanks for the additional screen dimmer links. For now, Brightness Control seems to be doing the job, but may give one of those a try to see what it's like.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:00 am 
Vice Dictator

WZZZ wrote:

EDIT: Sandy, what's the "full SG pdf file?"

Full Service Guide (offline version pdf).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:41 am 

Thanks Sandy. Is it any different from either of these? I've looked through both, much of it is above my head, but not seeing anything directly related.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/455818 ... 236hl.html

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/837902 ... 236hl.html

If it is, do you think there might be anything in it related to the issue I've been having?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:32 am 

Update: Installed Shades. Seems to work much the same way as Brightness Control, by changing the gamma tables. Don't think any program can regulate the backlight of a non-Apple display. Prefer it to BC (with BC, I have to keep the application open in the Dock, and then ignore the little slider window that's present on the Desktop.) Shades puts an icon in the menubar, and has some preset keyboard shortcut and other fine grain niceties--easier to use with the same results. Nice little program. Had seen it discussed elsewhere, but since it was called "Shades" was wary it would just drop something over the display, so had stayed away.

Remember now having seen it discussed years ago at ASC. Thanks Leewave for recommending it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:36 pm 
Master

In principle changing the "brightness" (as it means anything to a particular monitor or display technology as something separate from the video signal itself) might be possible using the Monitor Control Command Set (MCCS) standard over Display Data Channel Command Interface (DDC/CI), but as far as I can tell these aren't much used, and even if it were used its operation would probably be inconsistent between different displays. It would certainly add some cost to the monitor, and the real problem here is that having a backlight that can dim through a wide range would probably add even more cost to a display, and the only thing that really sets monitors apart in advertisements is the price. But if they spent an extra $3 to put in more capable brightness controls then adding expensive and probably flaky support for computer-based dimming would be wasted effort because I think it's relatively uncommon for most people to change the brightness of their displays really frequently.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:44 pm 

I remember seeing some hack based on DDC/CI. This Acer includes DDC/CI as an option. In fact, it's there as one of the defaults.

Now that I have another way of controlling at least the apparent brightness, I'm no longer desperate enough to try it.

https://github.com/jontaylor/DDC-CI-Tools-for-OS-X

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:10 pm 
Master

It probably wouldn't help: the brightness control circuitry inside the monitor probably doesn't go dim enough to get it there. If it did, pushing the buttons would almost certainly get it there.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:21 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
It probably wouldn't help: the brightness control circuitry inside the monitor probably doesn't go dim enough to get it there. If it did, pushing the buttons would almost certainly get it there.

- Anonymous

Not sure I understand, "...If it did, pushing the buttons would almost certainly get it there." That's never been the problem. The problem is that, after resuming from standby mode (if left long enough), the screen eventually becomes much too bright. At that point, I can always push the buttons to get the backlight or contrast levels satisfactorily lower--quite dim, in fact. It's just that doing that via the buttons and the on screen display is a big pain in the ass--especially regulating the brightness incrementally as the display gradually becomes brighter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:49 pm 
Master

Well in that case you need a monitor with better backlight regulation. Do you know if it's LED or CCFL backlit?

- Anonymous

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next