XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:47 pm 

I've been digitising our LP collection over a number of years and have been pleased with the results. I don't mind the odd bits of hiss and crackle, even an occasional quietish pop or two - it's what the records sounded like as they got older anyway.

My method might sound primitive. I use CD Spin Doctor (please … don't laugh) - it comes with Toast. All has been well until yesterday evening. I spent an agonising hour listening to 40 nursery rhymes, which are on an LP we had for our kids and which is now being digitised for one of them to play for her own daughter in the near future (funny when your own kids get all emotional over their memories of childhood).

Imagine my surprise when, having imported the tracks from CD Spin Doctor into iTunes, each track just played as a repeat of the first track. I looked at the files - they were labelled with the correct song titles and were different in size, corresponding appropriately with their durations.

Totally stumped! If I were superstitious, I'd apply for an exorcism.

Can anyone help out here?

iTunes is version 11.4 (the latest available for OS 10.6.8) and I used CD spin Doctor version 6.1.2 that came with Toast version 10.0.9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:29 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Get Audacity, try playing them in that…

http://www.itworld.com/article/2870131/ ... ml#slide11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:43 pm 

Another angle might be to move the files made by spin doctor to another location on the drive, and then use that new location as the source when importing the CD into iTunes.

I'd delete the existing iTunes reference to those files beforehand. I'm not sure about your ealier version, but I use 'Add to Library' to play music in iTunes. It just links to the source location of the CD files which for example, could be on an external drive.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:26 am 

Thanks, BD. I have tried Audacity before, a good while ago, but for some reason, now forgotten, I abandoned it.

I've persisted, in Wile E. Coyote fashion, with CD Spin Doctor.

I tried your suggestions, Roam - putting files in a different location on the HD and using 'Add to Library…' in iTunes. Same daft results, I'm afraid, but with a twist - each track from the 2nd onwards started with the last few seconds of the 1st track, and then was truncated before the song was properly finished.

What I eventually did was use a previous version of Spin Doctor, the one that came with Toast version 9.
I also made sure I didn't 'pollute' each track by setting default tags (excluding the song title!) that included the artist's name, album title and date. A little more time consuming having to enter all the details manually but easier on the nerves in retrospect.

So I did two things differently - not very scientific since I don't know which was sufficient to complete the wretched task.

Thanks, both,for your replies.

Edit: I had also tried opening the previously recorded files in VLC, QuickTime Player and WireTap Studio - all with the same results as in iTunes. It must have been something cranky to do with that version of CD Spin Doctor. One day, when I feel like banging my head against a wall, I'll trash version 10 of Toast along with all the other stuff that came with it and re-install.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:55 pm 

Quote:
I've persisted, in Wile E. Coyote fashion, with CD Spin Doctor.
:D

Glad you got it sorted. I have only used Audacity and found it very good, though at first it seems a bit overwhelming. There are some good tutorials for using Audacity on Youtube.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:13 pm 

I realised that I had WireTap Studio as well. That might sound strange, but I'd actually forgotten I had it. Used WireTap Pro for years prior to upgrading. My LP-digitising goes in fits and starts.

Anyway, I gave it a go and it worked well for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:34 pm 

You may want to see if they've released an update for your version of Toast. Many times I banged my head against the wall with Toast and an update was available to cure it. That was long before the new corporate overlords took control though so YMMV there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:06 am 

Just checked - there were no further updates for Toast 10 beyond what I've got.

I was, however, invited to purchase version 11 … but opted not to. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:22 am 

Yeah, ever since Astarte sold Toast to Adaptec it's been on a steady downward march, and that was the better part of 20 years ago.