XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: itunes struggles
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:57 am 

Version 12.2.
I find working with itunes almost impossible these days. I just spent an hour trying to add one song (and have it playable) and fix it's playlist album cover appearance (which was not accurate and not something I ever did). I have only gotten half of that task completed. Probably the program still has mechanisms for accomplishing this, but I simply don't have the time to study the intricacies of the program to accomplish what should be simple tasks. I probably should keep up on this a little better, but wow, I find itunes very unfriendly these days and to say "it just works" is so far from accurate that it is laughable if not for it being so frustrating.

This playlist is a collection of various french horn recordings no album exists that has this particular collection of recordings. Itunes has decided it is Eddie Daniels and has applied a random Eddie Daniels album cover. I'd just like to change that. I tried to get info on the individual songs and change the cover to no avail.

I did finally get itunes to play the songs by changing the m4a extension to mov. Not converting mind you, just changing ext.

:confused: :bonk:

Post subject: Re: itunes struggles
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:12 am 
Benevolent Dictator

They've really screwed it up, even more now, I vaguely recall your problem being due to iTunes Match, when no such compilation exists :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:25 pm 
he who stacks pork

Sound Jam MP just rocked. Was destined to be a great product. Apple bought it, and sorta made it suck.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:49 am 

I don't use 12, but I wonder if this suggestion still applies;
Under Albums, selecting the album, and ctrl click on the expnaded image, do you get a 'clear downloaded artwork' choice to select?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:05 am 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Sound Jam MP just rocked. Was destined to be a great product. Apple bought it, and sorta made it suck.

-he who stacks pork

It was great to version 7. Even version 9 (with an App Store and complex sync'ing for all and every device) was still passable. I'm currently using 10 which is bloatware but beyond which I will not go! (Which rules out Yosemite unless I load iTunes 10 into Snow Leopard Server in Parallels...)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:17 am 

roam wrote:
I don't use 12, but I wonder if this suggestion still applies;
Under Albums, selecting the album, and ctrl click on the expnaded image, do you get a 'clear downloaded artwork' choice to select?

Yep, it's still there and did clear the erroneous artwork. Thanks for the suggestion.
I still find myself lost in the ever-changing GUI on itunes. I'm sure there is still a way to make it all work but I just don't have the time to relearn every time they 'update' it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:27 pm 

db5owat wrote:
I still find myself lost in the ever-changing GUI on itunes. I'm sure there is still a way to make it all work but I just don't have the time to relearn every time they 'update' it.

Exactly, it seems pointless relearning new GUI nuances when essentially, our desired usage of the thing has not changed. I think because iTunes is the shop front, Apple feel compelled to keep window dressing it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:45 am 

roam wrote:
db5owat wrote:

Exactly, it seems pointless relearning new GUI nuances when essentially, our desired usage of the thing has not changed. I think because iTunes is the shop front, Apple feel compelled to keep window dressing it.

Yes, it's become bl00dy ridiculous. It was logical enough to add a Music Store to their music player/organiser, even I suppose, logical for initialising and syncing iPods; after all, it was all music-based. But the instant other media - films, TV, books, podcasts, and then apps - came into the picture, that should have been the signal for Apple to hive off iTunes as "music only" and use the App Store for everything else. Now iTunes is just a lumbering misnamed behemoth.