XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:01 am 

I just found an extremely in-depth website for those, like myself, who find it crazy that CD/DVD drives don't seem to last more than just a couple of years (when I still have electronics built in the 1960s that still work fine):

Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Compact Disc Players and CDROM Drives (Also largely relevant for DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray equipment)

In it, the author states:
Quote:
"Many common problems with CD players can be corrected without the need for the service manual or the use of sophisticated test equipment...

Mechanical - dirt, lubrication, wear, deteriorated rubber parts, dirty/bad limit switches, physical damage. A dirty lens (coated with dust, tobacco smoke residue, or condensed cooking grease) - easily remedied - is probably the number one cause of many common problems: discs not being recognized, seek failure, audible noise, and erratic tracking, sticking, or skipping.

Even many professionals may mistake (either accidentally or on purpose) these symptoms being due to much more serious (and expensive) faults. Don't be fooled!"

The author provides very impressive and comprehensive information on symptoms, troubleshooting steps and maintenance and repair steps... and very good advice every step of the way. On the issue of lens cleaning, he has little faith in optical drive lens cleaning discs. And these discs do not clean the mirror.

And, now that I have two internal optical drives (in my old G4 MDD) that no longer recognize discs, I will attempt to bring them back to life before I attempt it on my just recently replaced external drive. After reading from this guy's website, much dust is suspected in all cases.

If an optical drive is dead, it's dead. But if correctly cleaning a couple of components could easily restore it, I'm game.

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:10 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Nice find Mike, do keep us posted on your outcome, though in my experience, cleaning has about a 10% success rate.

Don't let that discourage you though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:19 pm 
Master

I've had a worse than 10% success rate, and if I add in floppy drives, it's probably down in the miniscule fraction of a percent range, but it's fairly easy and always worth a try.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:57 am 

Neat info. Thanks, MikeHarrison!

appler505 :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:11 am 

Thanks for the link.

I'm a hoarder so it's difficult to throw things out and as a result I've kept all my drives whether they're flaky or not in the hope that if I ever need to go searching for something and my modern drives can't handle the disc, I might have some luck slipping it into the drive that recorded it.

The worst thing is that I have a lot of discs that haven't been catalogued so even finding the right disc is going to be hard but I can't bring myself to throw them out :badteeth: (and I'm sure many of them aren't readable now anyway)