XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:56 am 

Well not so much a groan as an oy vey! Thanks for the suggestion, but isn't this like putting some Rube Goldberg after-the-fact gizmo to do, at the same price, what a remote controlled soundbar would do--maybe what I should have bought in the first place.

Anyway, what about using shielded 3.5mm mini stereo audio cable? It wouldn't deal with the signal loss over that long a run, but wouldn't it deal with the potential interference problem? I'm beginning to think I'll just have to get off my ass and adjust the volume manually when it's needed. I need the exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:31 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Well not so much a groan as an oy vey! Thanks for the suggestion, but isn't this like putting some Rube Goldberg after-the-fact gizmo to do, at the same price, what a remote controlled soundbar would do--maybe what I should have bought in the first place.

Anyway, what about using shielded 3.5mm mini stereo audio cable? It wouldn't deal with the signal loss over that long a run, but wouldn't it deal with the potential interference problem? I'm beginning to think I'll just have to get off my ass and adjust the volume manually when it's needed. I need the exercise.

If there are any other sources of interference, especially power cords, within six inches of the wire being run at any point along the length, then most likely, no. Most shielding only deflects incidental interference. Proximal interference can have a much more pronounced impact over long runs. You can minimize this by adding ferrite cores at each end of the wire, but that's kind of hard to do (and usually overkill) on these types of runs, especially with pathetically tiny gauge wiring.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:38 pm 

The Cat5 option should work fine, since it's basically just converting your unbalanced connection to a balanced connection, then back again on the other side. I'd opt for Cat6 cable/s since they're available for $.10 more than Cat5 at Monoprice. I have far more misgivings about the wireless options, but I know some people are overly concerned about appearances.

My pair of those speakers sit a little over an arm's length away from where I normally sit, so adjusting the volume isn't a big deal, although I normally have them set to around 40% (with the old school "bass knob" dialed way up) and that's where they stay. That's primarily why I mentioned the room size, though in a large enough room they'd probably be less than stellar. They're really just speakers intended for PC use, which is why I have my Mac hooked up to them too (hooray for dual inputs).

A long miniplug run may work fine, it may not, just be prepared. Routing the cable a different way may help too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:56 am 

Thanks for the help. Right now, I'm leaning towards the getting more exercise option. Considering that TV (tele vision, literally transported vision) as in getting talking images on a screen of some kind, is so miraculous, getting up and walking a few feet shouldn't be a big deal. But maybe I can still work something out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:13 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Do you remember when one of the family had to stand next to the TV with arms extended just right to fix the Horizontal hold!?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:45 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Do you remember when one of the family had to stand next to the TV with arms extended just right to fix the Horizontal hold!?

Sure. I may have written about this here before. I remember the sense of absolute wonderment I had (this might have been at around age 5 or 6 when we inherited our first TV, in 1948, (an RCA ten inch screen in a table top wood cabinet that weighed a few hundred pounds--at least it seemed to me it weighed that much-- from my grandmother), realizing that the image I was seeing of, for example, someone moving their hand meant that at that exact moment some miles away someone was really doing that. (This was the era of live TV.) I also remember the keen disappointment I experienced when I realized that no matter how low I crept under the TV in order to get the proper viewing angle, I still couldn't see under women's dresses. The image remained the same. A painful lesson.

Last edited by WZZZ on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

LOL, I remember much the same! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:43 pm 

My folks inherited their first TV from my mom's parents and after they inherited a color TV the black & white TV went down into the basement... where I watched Star Trek and Twilight Zone re-runs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:30 pm 

I did some serious basement TV watching when I was in Junior High. Wasn't the best time of my life.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:08 pm 

Well, that wasn't the greatest point in my life either (family problems, ahoy!), but I did develop a lifelong love of SciFi from it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:16 pm 

I think junior high must be a pretty awful time in everyone's life.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:06 pm 

To be honest, I was down in the basement a lot earlier than Junior High. By the time Jr. High rolled around we had a color TV down there.