XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:06 pm 
he who stacks pork

There are so many options available today, I don’t know where to look. Here’s what I would like to do: share a few networked large capacity hard drives to a few wireless computers in my house.

I managed to share my living room 2011 Mac Mini’s external hard drive such that I am able to stream movies to any WIRED computer without any hiccups. However, when I attempt to view them on any wireLESS computer (from a lowly 1.5GHz G4 15" laptop to my wife’s 2010 21.5" iMac) the playback is pausy and choppy.

I set up a G4 Hackintosh (AGP in an ATX case with a big ass power supply and 1.4GHz G4 CPU) with a couple SATA cards and 6TB of SATA storage, but I am limited by the 10.5.8 OSX ceiling. Computer has an Intel something-something Gigabit Ethernet card which works great, but there are some seemingly intermittent issues with playback on wireless computers throughout my house—even my wife’s iMac which is literally 6.5 feet away from my wireless router. The lag isn’t really bad, but it’s annoying.

Surely there has got to be a SIMPLER solution… is it an Apple TV, or some other third-party thingy??? I am running a Netgear/Cisco WRT54GL wired/wireless router running Tomato firmware.

OK, here’s a longshot– the answer might be “NO! AND YOU SHOULDN’T NEED TO DO THIS!!!”, but is there a snowball’s chance in hell I can set up movie/music sharing on my home network such that iDevices (iPhone4s, latest generation iPads) can get streaming movies and music??? Would I need iTunes running on my 10.5.8 G4 Hackintosh? Would this work???

Thanks!

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:33 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

10.5.8 won't do the latest streaming/iTunes/QT or talk to iOS7 at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:43 pm 
he who stacks pork

BDAqua wrote:
10.5.8 won't do the latest streaming/iTunes/QT or talk to iOS7 at all.

Bah! I figured as much. :roll:

Meanwhile, it’s looking like the G4 Hackintosh hard-wired Ethernet setup—despite very minor network buffer hiccups—is the right one for non iDevices to view movies music and such. Seems less choppy than watching Youtube videos, so it will be fine.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yep! :)

Good luck ion the eBay iMac, almost bought the same model until my store was broken into & so much stuff was taken. :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:21 pm 

Assuming you're using a WRT-54GL as mentioned in another thread, that's likely your problem. 802.11g only has the bandwidth to stream (aka play while copying) fairly low resolution videos. 802.11n is pretty much a must. This explains why your wired computers talk fine but your wireless computers stutter - they don't have a fast enough connection.

I should probably drag an iOS 7 device home and see for myself if it's in any way, shape, or form compatible with iTunes 10.6.3, which was the last PPC compatible version. Syncing is certainly out of the question, but I don't know why streaming would be incompatible... sometimes it feels like peering into the mind of Apple is to glimpse insanity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:54 am 
he who stacks pork

I’d been toying with the idea of getting one of these:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Buffalo/ ... 8YourMac13

If hard-wired to my G4 multimedia server, could this be a better solution? The price is right.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:23 pm 

That's a bridge device. It converts something with an ethernet port to a wireless device. Since your router, that ties all your systems together, is still 802.11g you'd still be stuck with 802.11g speeds.

The RT-N12D1 is probably the cheapest option you'll find, at least if it goes on sale/comes in stock again. The RT-N10P is cheaper still but will probably be quirky for a while yet (nobody has officially added support for it yet) plus with the single (external) antenna the performance won't be as big of a bump.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:11 pm 
he who stacks pork

Thanks for the info. Can that Asus router run Tomato or any of the good 3rd party firmwares?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:14 pm 

Those two routers can, but not all ASUS routers can. Some of them come with Ralink SoCs that (almost) nobody supports.

Keep an eye on WZZZ's other thread (Actiontec) to see how hard it is to flash an RT-N12D1 to Tomato (it should be the same procedure as the RT-N10P, since the same procedure works for RT-N66Us, RT-N16s, RT-N12B1s, and RT-N12s, which is a pretty wide range of devices). I just did my RT-N10P in about 30 minutes from unboxing to full Tomato but that's me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:03 pm 

Still not a bad price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833320168

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:36 pm 
he who stacks pork

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Keep an eye on WZZZ's other thread (Actiontec) to see how hard it is to flash an RT-N12D1 to Tomato (it should be the same procedure as the RT-N10P, since the same procedure works for RT-N66Us, RT-N16s, RT-N12B1s, and RT-N12s, which is a pretty wide range of devices). I just did my RT-N10P in about 30 minutes from unboxing to full Tomato but that's me.

Just read that. Looks like sort of Russian Roulette in terms of success. My kind of project. :roll: I don’t own firearms, but stock plenty of booze.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:03 am 
Vice Dictator

Leo, try out http://www.plexapp.com/ Plex for the streaming app. I have it setup on a PC here with all my content (movies/tv shows/pics etc). It will auto download the images and descriptions from the web for your tv/movie files. Just run the client on IOS/MAC/PC/ROKU or many other devices. It'll even stream content to a PS3 or XBOX360 fairly well using their built in DLNA support.
Best off all is Plex is free.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:43 am 

I was thinking about Plex but thought 10.5.8 would be the dealbreaker. I think it requires 10.6 or above. I have Plex app on a Samsung TV at home but it seems that my network speeds are borderline for its requirements so more often then not I just use the TVs dlna app to connect to a LaCie Cloudbox that I picked up very cheap (I don't need the iMac turned on to use the Cloudbox via dlna). Plex is a great option if your network is up to the task. When I move up to wireless n I'll test it thoroughly. At the moment I'm using dlna via a Power Line setup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:39 pm 
he who stacks pork

Looks like Plex is an Intel only program. :(

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:14 pm 
Vice Dictator

Unofficial powerpc plex port.
https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/43011-plex-0953-laika-for-powerpc-macs-unofficial/

Also with plex I set it up to stream on each device on wifi at 480p or 720p (since my wifi will not handle full blown 1080p).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:24 pm 

Hadn't considered that point! BUT; I wonder if this is still valid? It isn't official and is maybe too much effort anyway. Any way to wire the G4 into the Mini and run Plex from there? Not sure if that would work.

EDIT: Sandy, you beat me to it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:25 am 

Sandy,

I thought the new Plex Home Theater was a substitute for the Media Manager web interface. If that's the case, do you know where the metadata edit options are? I can't find any.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:21 am 
he who stacks pork

Thanks for the PPC link, Sandy. I’ll try it out sometime this week.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:17 pm 

Metadata editing is in the Plex Media Server. I don't know if they finally gutted the super awesome OS X interface in favor of the lame webinterface as I'm still running the older version with the OS X interface (accessed by pressing option when selecting the media manager from the menubar thingie).

SC

Desktop: Intel mini: 2.33 GHz i5 (G4/C2D minis are out with bad HDDs) OS X 10.10
qBOX-SF with four 2 TB
Peecee - Core i7 4771 W7 Pro 64
Server - Xeon 1231 FreeNAS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:50 pm 

Yeah, the Cocoa application was replaced by a web interface. Now the Plex Home Theater is out and it overlaps with the web interface if metadata editing isn't available in PHT. Or maybe I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:08 am 

I just set up a Serviio to my main setup to watch programs in home theatre room over an Ethernet cable (Thank You for the 'updates' to Blu-ray players, powers that stink) with the help of a Samsung 'Internet TV Blu-ray' (Bought it 1.5 years ago and used it about 5 times before this). I just want to share my enjoyment with the (probably Java) GUI, spent one hour troubleshooting connectivity, until found out a forum member, who humbly told he had to scroll down to see a save settings button to actually make the dialog settings in effect. And of course there are no visible scroll bars in that dialog, because it is progress (See, the Emperor has no clothes)! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

But that was the only problem, otherwise seems like a really cool and usefull sharing setup, there seem to be just some minor subtitle things that I have to work out (or forget them thanks to Samsung, not sure yet), but most of the people do without them.

Next cool OS will have an invisible cursor, so You can see everything on the screen. :upset: But I have a mouth consuming beer, so there is no reason to scream for now. :coffee:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:04 pm 

I know people who try lots of media servers only to end up with serviio. Seems like a reliable solution. It was on my list until I got Plex working. Plex has its quirks but now that things are working well enough I'm reluctant to touch things for fear of making them worse.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:18 am 

I wasted more time today testing the Samsung and software combination and it turned out that this Samsung BD-D5300 did not support subtitles from .mkv using USB stick either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:01 am 

Took about 5 minutes to find an easygoing solution in linux; mkvtoolnix + ripsubtitles.sh as decribed in http://www.computernerdfromhell.com/blog/automatically-extract-subtitles-from-mkv/

Runs recursive and fast. Looks good so far, so had to open a beer :coffee:

Edit: Fast with an average tv episode with only English subtitles. Give it a real movie with 20 subs and hey, :snail: we go (more than 10 minutes, np)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:48 pm 

Actually there's OSX ports of MKVToolNix, you could do it there too. Either use macports (mkvtoolnix +wxwidgets) or a standalone version.