XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 pm 

I have a new iMac, OS X 10.12.2 where I have set up multiple email accounts so I could manage my email from one location, similar to what I have on my iPad. But unlike my iPad, when I delete any email on my iMac, the email is deposited into a centralized Trash folder, where the iPad has a Trash folder for each email account. This is a view of the current email set up on my iMac:

Attachment:
Mail Acct.tiff [61.58 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

As you can see that there is one Trash folder for the Google account under Smart Mail boxes . was there something that I missed when I set up the mail accounts and could you inform me as to how this works.? Plus, like I mentioned above, any mail that I do delete goes directly to the Trash folder listed under JUNK.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

What is shown if you click the triangle of the Trash folder above?

What are the parameters of your Smart boxes & where are they?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:32 pm 

B,

Sorry, did not hit the triangle earlier. After hitting the triangle, it listed all mail accounts as shown below:

Attachment:
Mail Trash.tiff
Mail Trash.tiff [ 14.73 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]

Have not got any mail to test it out yet.

Re: What are the parameters of your Smart boxes & where are they? I have checked Mail Preferences and shown below is the Google Account:
Attachment:
Google Parameters.tiff
Google Parameters.tiff [ 69.25 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]

It shows that deleted Junk Mail should go to [Gmail Trash] which is listed under Smart Mailboxes. I do not know if I mentioned this originally, Google is the only account that is listed under Smart mailboxes. It also lists AOL, but AOL has no folders. I set up all the Accounts the same, so I wonder why Google is the only account listed under Smart mailboxes

I just received a book today from Barnes and Noble, entitled 'My MacOS Sierra Edition by John Ray'. I just looked and it has a section on Smart Mailboxes. I will read it and see if it clarifies the responsibility of smart mailboxes?

I have a x704 question. I forgot to check the "Notify me when a reply is posted box when I originally posted my issue. Is there a location where I can automatically have that option checked when I post/reply to an issue or do I have to manually check it each time??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, OK, you do not have any Smart Mailboxes, that section is empty.

gMail has it's own listings besides here also.

No global function, each thread/topic is on a case by case issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:46 pm 

As far as updating my email address in the Profile I found the dialogue box cantankerous.
edit:
10 minutes later.
OK by trial and error I guessed the solution. I had to delete the showing password •••••••••• in password dialogue box 1.
With that gone, I could proceed to enter my pass in password dialogue box 3.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:47 pm 

I guess I misunderstood the following info: I thought the Accounts below the Smart Mailbox heading were the Smart Mail box Accounts that were created when the Mail accounts were set up :confused: Sorry! This is too new for me

Attachment:
SmMailboxes.tiff
SmMailboxes.tiff [ 26.79 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

Thanks for setting me straight on the x704 issue (Notify me when a reply is posted).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:20 am 
Benevolent Dictator

That's OK, you're doing great. :)

Today is the only Smartt Mailbox you have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:01 pm 

OK, but what is the Google and Yahoo entries below the Today folder and the AOL with nothing below that? I am sure when I set up my mail accounts, there were no extra options that I would of checked that would create that information. I guess what I am saying, if I set up my email accounts by populating the information required, why did Mail create that info for Google and not for my remaining accounts? I am really confused or am I making a BIG deal out of nothing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
why did Mail create that info for Google and not for my remaining accounts?

I'm not sure why it does, but it always has set up different ones for IMAP accounts, (I think).

Attachments:
MailimapExtras.gif
MailimapExtras.gif [ 14.21 KiB | Viewed 392 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:45 pm 

OK. Guess I will just live with it :upset: I read about Smart Mailboxes in the book last night and all it said was they were mailboxes that were supposedly smart. Do you know, have they been around very long or is there an HT Document that describes its functionality?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:42 am 
Benevolent Dictator

They appeared in Tiger/10.4...
Quote:
Mac OS X Tiger[edit]
In Mac OS X Tiger, Mail was updated to version 2. It included a proprietary single-message-per-file format (with the filename extension .emlx) in order to permit indexing by Spotlight.

Additional features were:

"Smart mailboxes" that used Spotlight technology to sort mail into folders.
The ability to flag messages with a low, normal or high priority and to use these priorities in mailbox rules and smart mailboxes.
Tools for resizing photos before they are sent to avoid oversized email attachments.
The ability to view emailed pictures as a full-screen slideshow.
Parental controls to specify who is allowed to send email to children.
HTML message composition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_(Apple)

They aren't real mailboxes, just alias pointers to eMails in other boxes that fit certain search criteria… creating a smart box will not duplicate any mails, deleting a smart box will not delete any emails.

Says Yosemite, but basically applies to a;; versions...

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19171?locale=en_US

EDIT: Might be easier to understand if you look at Smart Mailboxes as stored Spotlight searches of Mail. :)