XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:59 pm 

Launch Sierra recovery partition or fire up Sierra bootable media.
Launch Disk Utility.
Select disk partition (e.g. Macintosh HD).
Select Restore from menu bar. At least I think its Restore.
Window pops up asking which disk you'd like to recover from (which I consider to be a more useful interface, so props to Apple there)
Select Image

Does it actually open up a dialog box for you to choose an image or does Disk Utility crash back to the installer screen?

This same behavior occurs in El Capitan too. I'm thinking it's yet another bug in this new poorly thought out replacement for Disk Utility, but would like someone to confirm before I complain.

I have tried it on a few different systems so its not just a single system bug, but I am trying to select the same image every time so maybe its just my source disk being connected that gives it a hissy fit. For now I just boot into Yosemite and do it, but I won't have that option with systems that were released after Yosemite.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:07 pm 

Definitely restore in the menubar.

Without the disk attached it still crashes disk utility.

:bonk:

Getting more and more concerned that I'll have to do all disk utility operations from Terminal now because Apple won't give us a functional Disk Utility app.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:37 pm 

I can test this is in 10.11, maybe tomorrow. What's the reason for doing his in recovery mode?

Last time I did anything with DU, which was to add a partition to a drive that had 10.11, I did it booted to DU in Mountain Lion--didn't want to deal with DU in 10.11.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:32 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
What's the reason for doing his in recovery mode?
It's very hard to restore an image over the drive you're booted from.

This would be a large-scale operation with dozens of laptops all restoring images simultaneously, which a recovery partition previously handled fine. I'm trying to future-proof things by doing everything in a 10.12 environment so when the system only boots 10.12 I don't have to revisit the procedure.

If Apple had kept making the 2012 model I'd be able to ignore this but of course they won't be deterred from their premium disposable computer profit model.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:05 am 

Not a test of what you described, as I Wasn't ready to restore an entire volume, simply tried to use DU restore to copy a small folder to an empty partition on a flash drive. Doing this from Recovery Mode was almost totally incomprehensible. Managed--somehow--to create a new image, but had to stop there.

Then booted normally, was able to figure out how to finish the copy/restore. But it was still a huge PITA compared to the old DU.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:44 pm 

Yeah I pretty much loathe the new DU, but as I said going forward its my only option so I've struggled through how it should work but the problem is that it crashes. For this purpose recovery mode and bootable media mode are identical. I don't know WTF I'm going to except create a bootable 10.12 partition on external media to do this operation in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:22 pm 

Looks like Apple's noticed this issue. I updated a system to 10.12.3 which updated the recovery partition and... the new recovery partition disk utility no longer has a menu bar, which is the only way to gain access to the bits that don't work right.

More accurately, the menu bar is the same whether you're in disk utility or at the previous screen, where you can choose to install, recover from time machine, run disk utility, etc. They just don't update the menu bar after launching disk utility, thereby blocking people from accessing the nonworking functions.

Guess I should have saw this coming when Apple's response to the horrid battery life on the new touch gluebook pro's was to remove battery life estimate from the menu bar. Don't fix the problem, just cover it up and act like everything's fine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:37 pm 

^ apple gets more anti power user every year!

it's funny their bash on sierra is still version 3!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:45 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
the new recovery partition disk utility no longer has a menu bar, which is the only way to gain access to the bits that don't work right.

Can you get around this with an eDrive or with a DW Partition & adding some functional App?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:49 pm 

I could get around it by booting into a full 10.12 environment, but my hope was to use what's already on the system (recovery partition) to perform image operations using external media. Now you're booted off external media and reading/writing to the external media... it makes the process slower. Plus this arrangement worked just fine under 10.10 through 10.7. The new DU is just bugged and they're apparently not interested in fixing those bugs.

I'll just have to do things the slow way and waste more storage space for a bootable environment I otherwise wouldn't need to use. :roll:

Edit: There's also the issue of the newest systems always requiring the newest OS revision, which is often newer than can be readily preinstalled on external media. This is all about setting things up for others to use, and others aren't always the most technologically inclined so the simpler it can be made, the less likely there are to be issues.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:coffee: