XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:54 am 

On the old G3 (still boots up OK) which I may give away or dispose of, I deleted the entire main account (standard) which had any personal information. Left a more or less unused admin account, with nothing much on it there. Then booted to an external clone and did a secure erase free space (one pass) of the internal. So far so good, I suppose, if that removes any trace of personal information, but just booted to OS 9 (both 9 and 10 on same partition), and I'm seeing lots of old personal information which I would like to securely remove there.

How do I do that in 9? Or would trashing the system folder, while booted in 10, then erase trash securely accomplish what I want? If I gave the G3 away or disposed of it somehow, it would still have an OS X admin account, and surely there's no longer any need to keep 9 around, if anyone actually wanted this thing.

What's the best way of either getting rid of the 9 completely but securely, and leaving the 10 alone? Objective is to securely delete all personal information from this G3.

Want to leave a working OS X (Tiger) on it, so don't want to zero out the whole drive.

Hadn't booted to 9 in years, and have forgotten a lot.

EDIT: just looked around in various OS 9 folders. Stopped using 9 around '06, when I got Tiger, but seeing that way after that, until a few years ago, it was busy making copies of lots of stuff from 10. That stuff has to go.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:31 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Can you delete the OS9 Partition from OSX, then do a one pass erase of that Partition?

I think it may be just as useful running OS9 as OSX, there's plenty of SW for OS9 that has bever been done right in OSX. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:38 am 

Quote:
Can you delete the OS9 Partition from OSX, then do a one pass erase of that Partition?

Can't do that. 9 and 10 are on the same partition.

What about trashing the Desktop (OS 9) folder? That's where all the personal stuff is. But seeing now that that's just an alias/sym link.

Last edited by WZZZ on Mon May 02, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:46 am 

Just found this, which I'm not sure I understand completely, and/or not sure I have all of what they describe. Looks like it's pre-Tiger.

Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X are on the same partition

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/uninstallmacos9.html

Somewhere else they're saying to just trash the OS 9 System Folder. But don't think that will remove the Desktop Folder, where all the personal stuff resides?

EDIT: And now, even after deleting the main account and securely erasing free space, I'm not even sure I got rid of everything. It's still showing 12GB, and don't think there can be 12GB of anything in 9, or 12GB in the admin user on 10, even including applications and related files.

Last edited by WZZZ on Mon May 02, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:08 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, yes, they can be on the same partition, FaF should find that Desktop folder.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:10 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Ah, yes, they can be on the same partition, FaF should find that Desktop folder.

I have no problem finding it, it shows in the HD root folder. It's that I want to find a way to securely delete it. I could remove it with OmniDisk Sweeper, but that wouldn't be a secure erase.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:13 pm 

Or I delete the 9 stuff using OmniDisk Sweeper and then do another secure erase free space? Maybe that's the way to go?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:25 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think that is the way to go…

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:30 pm 

Yeah, just set up OmniDisk to run as root with AppleScript. That should delete anything with impunity.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:46 pm 

If you really want to remove all the personal info you'd have to zero out the drive then do a clean install of Tiger
I don't know if Omnidisc will over write what it deletes, but if it doesn't any disc recovery software will find something.

Or does Tiger have secure delete ? Been years since I ran tiger...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:50 pm 

Yeah, if you still have some bootable CD/DVD for Tiger, it may be worth booting off it and zeroing the internal drive. If you had the original install discs it would restore everything to a factory state but that'd be OS9-only not OS X.

Users in OS9 aren't like users in OS X. MacOS is inherently a single super user system. Anything that seems to make it not be that is just superficial window dressing.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:29 pm 

Could easily zero the drive from the external clone, but the idea was to leave a working system on it with nothing personal remaining. Earlier, for the Tiger, removed the main user, while leaving an admin account, followed by a secure erase free space. Then deleted everything OS 9 using OmniDisk Sweeper, as root, followed by another secure erase free space. Both one pass zero while booted to the external clone.

Only thing I wonder about now is if I should have done both of the secure erase free spaces (say that fast five times in a row) for the entire drive. I did them instead for the volume, not the drive.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:03 am 

Seriously, what data would be on that ancient hard drive that demands a five times zero erase?
You are obsessing WZZZ. Back it off a notch man. It's an old G3 that no-one would care about. It'll just end up as scrap metal in a junk yard.
Take it easy fella. The NSA have a copy of it all anyway. :?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:26 am 

roam wrote:
Seriously, what data would be on that ancient hard drive that demands a five times zero erase?
You are obsessing WZZZ. Back it off a notch man. It's an old G3 that no-one would care about. It'll just end up as scrap metal in a junk yard.
Take it easy fella. The NSA have a copy of it all anyway. :?

Where did I say I did a 5 pass zero???? Read again. Did a one pass zero on both secure erase free space runs (second one was after dealing with the OS 9 stuff.) You must be thinking secure empty trash. I think secure empty trash is a default 7 pass, but secure free space erase in 10.4 has a one pass zero option. I would never do anything more than a one pass zero. Not needed.*

Although I might just junk it, I might find someone who wants the old iMac G3, still in decent condition. Seems a shame to just junk it.

*On second thought, as It has my exquisitely crafted, foolproof plans for world domination, maybe I should have used the 35 pass option. Can't take even the slightest chance that they might fall into the wrong hands.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:44 pm 

Sorry WZZZ my mistake, I misread your post and got myself tangled in your last paragraph. I've misrepresented you. My apologies.

In one way it is a shame to throw out old computers, especially in good working order that are no longer used. On the other hand I think it is more practical to get rid of them and regain the space. I have only ever sold one, my first, all the others were scrapped.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:47 pm 

While I like selling old systems so people can get more life out of them, sometimes people are more trouble than the system.

A driver threw my old 9600 in his pickup bed and was surprised to discover it didn't work when he got home, even though I illustrated it worked before he put it in said bed. Said person then demanded a refund because clearly the system was clearly defective. He brought it back, I reseated everything, and the system worked. He then did the exact same thing, got home, surprise surprise it didn't work. I told him to go pound sand but he filed a complaint with eBay. I can't remember exactly what eventually happened, but I don't think he got his money back. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:54 pm 

roam: no problemo.

As for not junking it (not so simple as leaving it out for trash collection, needs to be brought to a recycling center, and from what I can tell, just ends up in a huge pile somewhere and nothing happens), might try to find some place to donate it--what I did years ago with the Performa. No idea what it could be used for. Can't really go online with it. 10.4 Safari way out of date and unsafe, and TenFourFox, if that's even still being supported, incredibly slow on a machine with so little processing power.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:13 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I recently hauled about 40 old computers & monitors to a place called Re-PC in Seattle, perhaps there's a place like that back there?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 pm 

I don't want to do any hauling, but will look around for some place that wants to pick up a fifteen year old computer. I suppose if I live to be two hundred, it will become extremely valuable. So on that chance, I will probably hold on to it. Ancient computers will be highly museum worthy for an uninhabitable planet populated by those lucky survivors with genetically implanted Internet terminals.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:08 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
I don't want to do any hauling, but will look around for some place that wants to pick up a fifteen year old computer. I suppose if I live to be two hundred, it will become extremely valuable. So on that chance, I will probably hold on to it. Ancient computers will be highly museum worthy for an uninhabitable planet populated by those lucky survivors with genetically implanted Internet terminals.

Or for UT99 machines. Which is equally awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:35 pm 

Just had a look around eBay to say if these old G3s have any value. Seeing quite a few up for sale. Mine is Early 2001 4,1, 400 mHZ with Tiger installed and 128 GB drive, so I think someone might want it. But won't list it on eBay, since I don't want to be bothered with shipping etc. Maybe Craigs List.

In any case, here's something for the completely psychotic, or someone (probably also psychotic) with a lot of money who has no idea what to do with it:

Quote:
We are selling an iMac G3 with Intel Core i5 CPU inside.

After you bid on it, you expect to receive an iMac G3 in Graphite colour with Intel 1.4 GHz i5 CPU, and 1600x1200 HD LCD, after 10 weeks. We will remove the original motherboard and CRT of the iMac G3, fully clean and polish it, and then install a brand new LCD Panel, a dummy CRT case and a Intel i5 motherboard into it. After modification work implemented, it is expected that there will be no big change in outlook.

Specifications:

Processor: 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Storage: 500 GB Harddrive

Memory: 4 GB Of 1600 MHz LPDDR3

Graphic Card: Intel HD Graphic 5000

Display: 14" 4:3 LCD Resolution 1600x1200

Peripherals: Stereo Speakers, USB 3.0 x2, FireWire x2, Gigabite Ethernet Port x1; 3.5 mm stereo jack and mic jack.

Operating System: OSX El Capitan

Wifi: 802.11ac Wireless Networking, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n Compatible

Bluetooth: 4.0

Dummy CRT.

The price is US$2500.
We accept PayPal only. After confirming the order, we will send an invoice to customers. After receipt of payment we will start the work. The whole modification and testing works requires a period of about 10 weeks. We will ship the iMac G3 via express shipping. And the cost is US$239 worldwide.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:57 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew! :emphatic-eek: :classic-eek:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:48 pm 

The G3 offer appears to be quite speculative, given he needs payment upfront before the works starts. I'd bet this will expire with no takers.
Some years ago, some afficiandos were modding eMacs by removing the hefty CRT and installing a lightweight LED screen. But they kept the G4 electronics. I was attracted to that mod but as my old eMac's electronics died so did the dream of transforming it to an LED.
I liked the idea though.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:56 pm 
Master

It also shouldn't be too hard to wire up a new motherboard to the existing CRT, which would offer a much more authentic appearance. I'm not sure how you'd replace the CRT with an LCD and make it look anything like original equipment since I'm pretty sure the bezel of the CRT was slightly curved, which would leave a gap against a flat LCD. Maybe, if you were very, very careful you could cut out the back of the CRT and place the new LCD behind it after polishing down the phosphors on the old tube (this would, however, probably expose you to toxic chemical and leaded glass dust, and be very likely to catastrophically implode the tube, so I have little idea how you'd do it safely, and even then the LCD behind the glass would be distorted).

Meh. Not my problem. I'm not that nostalgic, and If I were I'd want the original CRT and probably the original motherboard.

In general old iMacs have no meaningful monetary value.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:16 pm 

I agree with you on the general lack of value of old Macs.
I think the motivation of replacing an eMac's CRT with an LED, was to use less energy and also do away with the eMac's monster fan whose noise was loud enough to require earmuffs. :) I guess it was an attempt to modernize some old tech as well be up to a challenge. The fitted LED was not perfect but the guy squeezed it in pretty well. You can see where he has cut the plastic though.
Despite this, it was an admirable effort to make such a radical change.

https://ierna.com/2006/07/02/emac-lcd-conversion/