XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:53 am 

ericpaul wrote:
Get a blank or unneeded floppy. Inset it into the drive. Format it about a dozen times, and don't worry if it fails the first few. This will exercise the stepper motor worm drive that usually gets a good coating of dust on it and causes the drive to go out of alignment. This should clean the mechanism well enough that is should work again, unless it is particularly dirty.

Eric

Tried that and I get Initializing disk… Verifying format… Updating disk… and then it fails every time, claiming the disk is defective (which it most definitely is not).

Should I continue bothering with this, since it appears the drive is truly defective, or just get a new one and install that, and be done with it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:57 am 
Master

Really, I'd just get a new one.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Really, I'd just get a new one.

Okay, did that and installed it; it works perfectly. Now, the only problem I have is putting it back together. When I get to the step to put the top bezel on (where the Zip Drive slot is), the drive ends up too high so you can't get a disk in it.

I can't seem to get the drive to stay in one spot and not move farther back and up into the slot, even though there's no latch to hold it anywhere and it was perfectly aligned before I removed that top bezel.

I'm at a loss as to how to what to do so I can get this all back together again.

Ideas? Solutions?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:50 pm 
Master

Clear packing tape and duct tape work well. I don't remember how to remove the front bezel from one of those machines; putting the bezel back on is probably just the opposite of correctly removing it. There may be a couple plastic clips, or maybe it's held on by the lower portion of the front bezel? I really haven't touched one of those in probably about thirteen years. Leaving off the bezel won't hurt anything other than aesthetics.

I'm not sure where my ServiceSource CDs are following my move.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:07 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Clear packing tape and duct tape work well. I don't remember how to remove the front bezel from one of those machines; putting the bezel back on is probably just the opposite of correctly removing it. There may be a couple plastic clips, or maybe it's held on by the lower portion of the front bezel? I really haven't touched one of those in probably about thirteen years. Leaving off the bezel won't hurt anything other than aesthetics.

Well, I can get the bezel on, but once I do that, you can't get a Zip disk in because what you see is the bare drive that says "Zip", along with the manual eject button. In other words, the drive sits too high relative to the front bezel.

But there aren't any clips to hold the drive in place, and there's very limited space to try using tape, which did not solve my problem anyway. I need to get the bezel on with the Zip drive aligned correctly so that I can sell it if I choose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:41 pm 

I have a vague recollection of finding it easier to put the bezel back on correctly with the top bay's cover removed.

It sounds like you may have missed the metal tabs and have hooked it into the top bay instead. Or, at least, it's something to try.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:09 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I have a vague recollection of finding it easier to put the bezel back on correctly with the top bay's cover removed.

It sounds like you may have missed the metal tabs and have hooked it into the top bay instead. Or, at least, it's something to try.

I can get the top bay bezel on if I leave the top panel off, but then I can't get the top panel back on because it has to slide into (and over) the top bay bezel, which can't be done at that time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:10 pm 
Master

Did you remove the Zip drive? If so, is the sled aligned with its bracket on the computer?

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:19 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Did you remove the Zip drive? If so, is the sled aligned with its bracket on the computer?

I pulled the Zip drive out on it's sled to vacuum out the dust and then slid it back in. The problem is that it only stops and stays in position at a certain point, but that point is not possible to lock down, since there are no plastic clips to hold it in place, no deep-set notches so the sled doesn't move, and no tape strong enough and small enough to fit between each side of the sled and the side of the Mac to hold it in place and prevent it moving back, forward, or sideways.

There are two meta clips built into the top bay bezel that fit the exact width of the Zip drive, but you can't put that top bay bezel back on without the top panel being on, and once you do that, the Zip drive moves up and farther back into the Mac while you're attempting to get that bezel back on it the proper alignment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:12 pm 
Master

There won't be any slop in the drive once it is screwed down to the sled, and the sled is correctly inserted in to the bay. If you removed the drive from the sled, make sure the sled was reattached in the correct orientation and that you're using the Zip's sled not the floppy's. Also double-check that you're reinserting the drive in to the correct bay.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:42 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
There won't be any slop in the drive once it is screwed down to the sled, and the sled is correctly inserted in to the bay. If you removed the drive from the sled, make sure the sled was reattached in the correct orientation and that you're using the Zip's sled not the floppy's. Also double-check that you're reinserting the drive in to the correct bay.

There's no slop in the drive; the slop is in the sled moving farther back into the bay when I try to reattach the top bay bezel so the Zip drive drive slot is open and unobstructed. I haven't removed the Zip drive from the sled, ever.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:56 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I wonder if some spacer or such fell out of place?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:59 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I wonder if some spacer or such fell out of place?

Hmmm…I didn't hear or see any spacer drop, and no such thing is mentioned in the Service Manual. Do you have any ideas on how to solve this conundrum?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:07 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Nope, but it seems something happened between then & now, original had no spacers, but was thinking maybe somebody previous did a custom fit or such.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Nope, but it seems something happened between then & now, original had no spacers, but was thinking maybe somebody previous did a custom fit or such.

I don't think so. I got the Mac from the original owner who bought it new as it came from Foxconn to Apple and then to their dealer. They didn't have any custom work done.

The only thing I see changing is the fact that I took off the top bay bezel just like the Service Manual told me to, and then the problem began. I still can't figure out how they got this thing put together originally, or why they had to make it so difficult.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:31 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

In those days, Macs were built like tanks... & SJ didn't really want anybody servicing them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:53 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
In those days, Macs were built like tanks... & SJ didn't really want anybody servicing them.

Yeah, the 6500 weights almost 50 pounds and it's nearly impossible to take apart, despite how easy they make it look in the service manual.

But I've finally achieved the impossible! I got the expansion bay bezel back on and the Zip drive to stay in place by putting a Zip disk in before putting the bezel back on. Have to put it in just the right distance or the bezel won't angle correctly to snap back into place. The front bezel had to go back on and that was a bit more challenging, but I finally got that, too.

It's alive! It's alive!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:55 am 

Huzzah! Where there's a will, there's a way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Huzzah! Where there's a will, there's a way.

Yes, indeed. If anyone's interested in buying it, make me an offer I can't refuse by PM. If you need exact specs, let me know.

Payment can be PayPal, or I accept large bills, gold coins, and round lots of Apple stock.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:51 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew, great work! :)